i just sold my car for sandy bridge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nein01, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Nein01, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

it was the only way i could think of to acquire $3000 before the update happens (i'm going for the high end 17").

so now i'll be without a car for a while, but i know it'll be worth it in the end. can't wait to finally replace my powermac g5..

2. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Damn... was it giving you issues or was it working just perfectly? I mean gas has spiked again recently which is lame. Whatever works for you though... : [

3. Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

it ran fine but was highly inefficient - 13 mpg (ford bronco).

i just decided i'd rather have a new computer than a car. it was just a good time to sell it now rather than later because there happen to be a lot of people in the small towns surrounding memphis who start looking for a 'hunting vehicle' about this time of year.

i still have my bicycle though so i should be fine, although i bet i'm gonna hate it when it gets colder...

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Ah... so there's more than one Memphian on these forums?

Who'd've guessed?

5. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

add another here! Actually Olive Branch!

6. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I wish I lived in an area warm enough to bike everywhere. :( But 'alas that isn't really an option in upstate New York. Not to mention that there aren't sidewalks at all around here unless you're in downtown Albany.

7. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Ouch! 13 mpg? While the Bronco is a good vehicle, that's tough. Here's hoping you're satisfied with the high end model that is released.

8. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Cold, memphis? Phaw! Come complain once you've ridden your bike in a -40F snowstorm in Canada, suck it up!

10. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Haha, I used to live in Collierville which is close to memphis. It snowed like 1 cm and everything shut down.

Here I am back in Canada, trying to get to school through 3 feet of snow...

11. DaftZombie macrumors member

It's a weird thing having the equivalent of a decent used car sitting on your lap, especially when all you use it for is youtube and reading up on rumors about the thing on your lap...

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You realize that sandy bridge won't be released by intel until 2011 and even then apple will have to update its computer line and who knows when they will be. My point is you'll be without a car for anywhere between 2 to 6 months

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt MBP will get wheels :p OP will end up being carless for even longer as he's spending his money on the MBP, meaning that it will take longer to buy a new car

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

a car is much more important to me than a computer (especially in winter)

good luck to you op! has to be hard

15. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

16. Nein01, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

true, i don't know how long it will take me to save up for another car. i'm starting to wonder if i even need one at all now though. i can walk to work, and i can walk or bike to most of my friend's houses, and my roommate has a car if i ever need to get somewhere far away.
    it may seem foolish to you, but i graduated from college this year with a degree in digital media and i can't really seek out jobs or continue working on my own projects without a new computer. my g5 is incapable of running a lot of programs i used in school. so... new computer > car for me at this point in my life.

wow, ok. i'll think of you to keep warm then, haha.

it's because southerners can't drive, not even in perfect weather.

lol, all i do with my g5 lately is read about the thing that *could* be sitting in my lap one day. once i get it though, i'll be doing a lot more.

should we start a club?

17. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Lol at when you get an interview for a job and you need a car to get to the actual interview. Anyway a choice is a choice you sold your car for a laptop. Personally I wouldnt but... if you feel that was the best choice for you then thats what matters.

18. deeesea macrumors 6502

Wait so you sold your car to get a portable computer? lolololol :confused::confused::confused:

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think that's the issue, but rather the OP sold his car for a non-exsistent laptop. He's waiting for a Sandy Bridge version. Given that intel won't be releasing this until January/February, and then apple being a bit slow on this stuff. We'll possibly not see anything until April/May.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why not? Sounded like the OP doesn't really need the car that much, and this is the best time of year to sell a something like a bronco up north. Don't make the mistake of judging someone else's choices; tends to make one look immature and foolish.

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Your judgmental attitude & choice of words is very revealing.

Own a mirror? Ever use it?

22. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Thats nothing. I sold all my clothes for a Macbook Pro.

Now I don't have clothes for the winter, but at least I have a Mac.

23. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Agreed. Selling a car for a notebook might not make sense on first glance, but it's not just a notebook, it's also an investment in the OP's future.

Selling a car to pay for school doesn't sound nearly as crazy, but it's a similar idea in this case...

24. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I also lol'd

25. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Its funny that OP is buying a laptop for portablity with no car.