I Keep Cracking My Jaw And I Can't Stop...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Nov 6, 2006.

1. shevan macrumors newbie

shevan

I do this too.... I get worried sometimes. I heard you're jaw can lock and you need surgery.....

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I've been doing it for 5+ years and nothing has happened to me. It's completely harmless.

3. Bobby135, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015

Bobby135 macrumors newbie

so yea same thing with SamIchi but i do it constantly you have no idea. i do it like 50 to 60 times a day and now that i have read some comments i am trying to work with some answers but even while i write this i am popping my jaw someone help meh D:

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I can crack my big toe just by bending it. If I can't then I use my other big toe to force the crack.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

gotta wonder if Samichi is still cracking his jaw after 9 years or did he finally find a way to stop?

Hopefully it didn't lead to a descent into a life of depravity and degradation leaving him now homeless on the streets of some small southern metropolis

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can do that to my ankles and big toe. There's no way I can sneak up on a person as I sound like a creaky old pirate ship :p

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

Sometimes if you sneeze hard enough, it can cause the jaw to temporarily and slightly dislocate itself and cause that cracking phenomenon. Sometimes the cracking will last for months. If it lasts for years and you feel pain when it does, it may be a TMJ issue.

8. Emma_12 macrumors newbie

That happens to me as well but I have to tilt my head to crack my left jaw.it doesn't hurt or anything and just annoys my friends.It even happens when I eat and it annoys everyone.

9. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

I met Javier Bardem years before his roll in Skyfall. Really nice guy. Though to be quite frank, I had no idea who the guy was. This was before "No Country for Old Men." Anyway, the bloke up top looks like Trump, if Trump were a zombie.

11. tsrose macrumors newbie

I don't think its such a bad thing. I have a habit of cracking/ popping my jaw and don't exactly know why. From the research I have noticed is that its a bad habit and can lead to jaw damage... but I don't believe that. Sometimes jaw popping and cracking is a good thing. We will have to ask our doctors if its bad or not.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2017 ---
    That scared me the second I saw it.... O-O

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It could be TMJ. I have some slight TMJ since having my wisdom teeth removed. Apparently the oral surgeon may have yanked my bottom jaw down too much. It seems to have improved a bit over the past 10+ years.

I have a problem with cracking my left wrist... I think that comes from breaking my radius and ulna as a small child. I think I have a slight rotator cuff issue from decades of swimming... my right shoulder likes to occasionally dislocate with the weakest of force (very uncomfortable feeling). Then there is my back which sounds like a car driving over gravel when I go to stretch it out.

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

In 1972 first year at college (Univ of Miami, Miami) I went to a dentist (not oral surgeon) for two wisdom teeth. The symptom, I could not open my mouth very much. Although he was good with pain management I remember him drilling my teeth in half, using a pry bar to crack them apart, and standing on my chest to extract them, along with a lot of downward pressure on my jaw. I'm surprised I did not walk away with PTSD. ;)

14. Sugargirl2021 macrumors newbie

I literally just did it! I can do it 24/7 and sometimes it doesn't go for a while so when it does pop it feel so good xD
    Mine started by i did it one time at my friends house super loud and ever since i do it non-stop. The first time I did it was also the loudest. I dont know if something happened in my jaw or what but my jaw is different somehow!

15. Seth1467423663 macrumors newbie

Seth1467423663

I use to crack my jaw Nearly like couple Of hours, now I swear I have a ******** overbite and now my jaw hurts all the time
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2017 ---
    i use to crack my jaw every few hours for like 3 or 4 years and now I have an overbite I have never noticed before in my entire life and my jaw hurts so much, stop cracking ur jaw everyone!!!!!

16. Hammy1996 macrumors newbie

Hammy1996

I DO THE SAME!!!!!

I have a bad habit of cracking my jaw, i do it about 20 times a day, i notice that right after i crack it many times, i have a really bad breath and i feel grinned bones in my jaw...i know really weird but true, it doesnt cause me any pain though

Any one knows what the reason of my bad breath is right after i grind my jaw???

17. Em___1 macrumors newbie

Em___1

I have this problem with popping my jaw muscles, especially when under stress. I would like to stop but don't know how since I tend to quite often do it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2018 ---
    I notice a different taste in my mouth after I pop my jaw. It's hard to stop I've noticed.

18. autumnmoon macrumors newbie

autumnmoon

i have double sided tmj and right now im going through jaw swelling, extreme pain whenever i pop my jaw. is there any way i can get my problems fixed?? :eek:

19. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

How do they usually correct TMJ or whatever it is called?

20. autumnmoon macrumors newbie

autumnmoon

im not sure , but i got my problem checked out by my dentist and it seems that my tmj disc is dislocated. im seeing an oral surgeon today

21. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

Damn that sucks!
    Let us know what the outcome is!

22. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

Well what happened?

23. Beauty082583 macrumors newbie

I am sooo thankful that you articulated exactly what I am going through. I am a bit of a hypochondriac so I always need something to say precisely what I am going through to be sure. What a wonderful comment! It made my day! My ear cracks precisely when I press on my ear canal and open my jaw and it is glorious! I went through a bout of Eustachian tube dysfunction and had a tube in my ear for about a year. I wonder if that may have caused it? Anyway, I found the one in a million person who hit the nail on the head! I could never thank you enough!

24. swik404 macrumors newbie

any updates , did you stop cracking? , how are you feeling right now

25. iTurbo macrumors regular

My jaw has done that (both sides) since I was in 10th grade. The original posters description of it matches mine to a T. I once made a recording on my old Mac and I was alarmed at how loud it was (you know, like *outside* of my own head!

It never hurts, and it does feel like a relief as if my jaw can move more freely after it pops, but I do hear the squishing sound of fluid when I open my jaw and bite afterwards.

I eventually made my mind up to stop making it crack/pop, which did get kind of strangely addicting. It goes away after a while and doesn't pop/crack very easily now at all. Very rarely does it do it now that I'm 41, but sometimes it happens just eating.

It's never hurt or been any real cause of concern for me at least. If you're like me, just make yourself stop doing it and you'll eventually grow out of it.