I like Apple, but does anyone else wish they gave us more freedom?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lovemyipad, May 9, 2010.

1. lovemyipad macrumors member

I like apple products a lot but sometimes I feel restricted. For example I think we should decide if we could use a video camera on our 2MP 3G iPhones. We should be able to turn on/off flash as needed. We should decide whether or not we want grooveshark mobile. We should decide if we want to downgrade firmware 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 & not let apple stop us. We should decide if backgrounder is necessary or not for our 3G's & 3GS's. We the customer, the people who are paying money for the product should decide what's best for us.

I like apple and I love my iPhone and ipad and can't wait to buy the next iPhone for my mom because I know she will love it.

But sometimes I don't understand what apple gains by limiting us & dictating what we can and can't do.

2. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

I'm fine, thanks. It's like they read my mind and made it. :)

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Well your the one who chooses to buy apple, they didn't make you if you dont like being limited don't buy it or just JB.

4. DuFFy macrumors regular

its just good software design. if you give the user too many options and too much freedom to do whatever they want, the software gets bloated and unusable then apple's reputation is put into question because of what the users are doing to it.

Apple wants to provide the best user experience and, most of the time, that means limiting what you can do with the product.

5. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

It is MY decision to buy apple. No one else decided for me. It's up to me and my choice.

But why do they limit us?

6. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

That makes good sense. But at the same time if they'd just release the first iPhone with a 3MP camera or 5 or 8 or w/e else we wouldn't have a no video camera issue in the first place. Etc etc.

7. DuFFy macrumors regular

it probably was a matter of space, there probably wasn't a small enough camera with that type of picture quality available and/or the hardware they could provide within the space/for the price that was good enough to handle a high enough frame rate to produce decent video. They aren't going to provide a feature until they feel it meets Apple standards, because of it we have to wait a bit. I think the quality products apple puts out are generally worth the wait.

8. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

Possibly and ya apple quality is PREMIUM no doubt.

But then why release iVideoCamera at all?

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

4 years ago when Apple announced they were delivering a Smartphone the whole industry almost laughed.

Ed Colligan from Motorola said "We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone," Ed Colligan apparently laughed about with John Markoff last Thursday morning. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in."

How did Apple deliver a phone that rendered moot Motorola's decades of experience? By creating a system that works and it controlled and predictable. While many users bump into the limits of the iPhone when they want to venture off the beaten path the truth is likely Apple's phone is designed to appeal to a very large group of users. It's forte is consistency and polish.

They simply cannot give us every choice but they slowly work on the stuff that is missing (like Copy & Past in OS 3.0 and Multitasking in 4.0)

Eventually most people won't have any glaring issues with what is missing save for some fringe apps that just aren't going to make it for political reasoning.

10. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

It's basic marketing. If they had a 5MP camera and Video Recording on the first one, then who the hell would buy the next iterations? And like another poster said, it could be because of space. A LOT has changed, in terms of technology, in the last three years. But Apple will continue to add better stuff, and most likely in a better implemented way.

-Apple FTW :apple:

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Saying you love Apple but wish they'd give us more freedom completely misses the point; it's like saying that you love Ferraris but don't like the noise or the poor fuel economy. Apple's closed systems and tight hardware-software integration are what defines them as much as is their stylish hardware and usability. The limits Apple places on their systems are not incidental, they are essential; without those limits, they would not be Apple and their products would not be Apple products.

12. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

No, the way they run their company is annoying at times but they do make products everybody wants.

13. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

But then why release ivideocamera at all then?

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

15. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

16. capple macrumors newbie

you know..

I love my wife but I dont always like everything about her. Absurd?

17. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

I'm fine with what apple does, I jailbreak anyway so if I wanted to do something myself I could.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

But there are somethings about your wife that could not change without her ceasing to be her. For Apple, this is one of those things.

19. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

Nothing. What are you talking about?

20. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

You aren't paying money for your wife. You are paying money for apple products which I do like again.

21. transam7816 macrumors regular

Be grateful that you even have the features. Were you complaining about this stuff when the razr came out

22. jellybean macrumors regular

How presumptuous. I'm paying good money for my wife.

23. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

I lol'd :p

24. McBeats macrumors 6502a

YES! I LOVE their hardware and os...

but their itunes music format = bleh. i like my open sourced mp3s thank you very much. dont get me wrong, the format itself is actually quite good, compression to sound quality wise, but the fact that it won't easily play on other devices (DRM reasons, and whatnots) kinda ruins it for me, so i never buy through itunes (instead, i do beatport, trackitdown, etc...)

I guess the main reason why they do it is to protect their future assets and investments. if they let in flash, then html5 might not catch on as much as they want... if they implement blu-ray, then no one would buy their movies via itunes (or appletv).

apple is smart; there is definitely a method to their madness, and it may be for the best for the industry, even tho we all don't notice it yet (more crippling to us now than it will be)

...its all format wars... and unfortunately, we the consumers have to put up with a lot of guff.

I can babble on about this for days giving more points, but I don't wanna waste my time if I'm going to be flamed anyway :D

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I can think of three things at least. ;)

I loved this thread! :)

BTW, my wife is perfect. Besides, it's Mother's Day.