I love my iPhone 5 buttttttt.........

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fuma419, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Fuma419 macrumors newbie

I love so much about the iPhone 5. Everything is just.... better. But there is one thing that i wish they hadn't messed with, Screen Size. I pick up my Gf's 4S and other then it being heavy as ******, the size feels better. Maybe this opinion will change with time. Anyone else experience this?

2. ek9max macrumors regular

At first maybe a little.

I think the feeling of the thinner phone makes up for the tall screen. And after a week I like the larger but still not wide screen A LOT!

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Return it. Move on.

4. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I felt the same way, and then I spent a lot of time on it and it feels "right" but when I go on the 4S it feels like my phone but squatty lol

5. Fuma419 thread starter macrumors newbie

Def glad they didnt go wider. I think a thinner anodized 4S woulda hit the spot.

6. Europa13 macrumors 6502

I think the screen size of the past iPhones was perfect. I could type with one hand and easily pull down Notification Center. I think I have average sized hands for a girl, and the new screen size makes the phone a little awkward for me to use. Still, although I've never wanted a bigger screen, I'm glad they increased the screen size so the people who wanted it so badly would stop complaining about the "small" screen size. It might just take some more getting used to.

7. Fuma419 thread starter macrumors newbie

your not a dick at all. I did say that i love it right?

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I have a rather flat butttttt, not an iPhone 5 butttttt.

9. monkor macrumors regular

Understandable. It does take some getting used to, switching to a bigger screen. For me, because I have huge hands, I can barely type on the 4S. When I fiddled around with the 5, it still felt small honestly but didn't cramp my fingers after prolonged use. The 4S is a gorgeous piece of technology, and for those with smaller hands, it's arguably more ideal. But their size difference is mostly in weight and thinness. Overall height, not so much.

10. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Why is that the default answer to everything unless the post is "I love my iPhone more than life itself!"?

The question was "Anyone else experience this?"

If you didn't, close thread and move on.

11. Fuma419 thread starter macrumors newbie

finally, an intelligent response!

12. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Because who cares, honestly?

13. Fuma419 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL troll

14. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Get one of these:
    [​IMG]

and then this:
    [​IMG]

15. maclook macrumors 65816

I'm still using my 4S until my 5 arrives but I've used others' 5s on many occasions. I think the 5 physically feels long but I now I also think the 3.5" feels short when using the software. There are many occasions, most often when the keyboard is pulled up or the navigation text is eating up the screen where I want that 4" screen real estate. I'm excited to start using the 5 and seeing how I feel about the new form factor when it is my primary phone.

16. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I agree. The bigger size is nice, but I have small hands and use the phone in my left hand.....reaching the top right or left corner isn't what I would consider "comfortable"

18. MGCP macrumors member

I think the OP has a fair point.

The way people talk about screen size on here does make me laugh. We went through what seemed to be months of the majority on here saying that the idea of a taller but no wider screen was horrendous and Apple would never do that as it wasn't elegant (that went alongside all the posts about how the two tone back of the leaked samples looked horrendous and Apple would never do that as it wasn't elegant).

Now I keep seeing posters bang on about how a taller screen is actually fantastic and thank god Apple didn't make it any wider, aren't they clever! They then go on to slate the screen of the old iPhone as being small and squat, the very screen size that they were enthusiastically defending against the jibes of Samsung fans as being the perfect size which Apple had arrived at through a careful study of ergonmics!

Now they all seem to buy into the idea that making the phone wider would have been crazy because of how our thumbs work. Its unbelievable - I've picked up the iPhone 5 and there would be absolutely no problem at all reaching across, it is actually easier than reaching upwards (even with small hands). Are people really so gullible that they are swallowing Apple's spin on this? You just know that the next time Apple choose to change the screen size we will have to go through this whole ridiculous process again, and suddenly "tall and narrow" will be slated by everyone who will then be lauding the fatter iPhone X as the best thing since sliced bread.

I know I'm just pointing out the way this forum seems destined to work but god it is depressing to see people scoff down corporate bs and beg for more.

[And now for the apparently essential disclaimer - no I'm not an Android fan. I've never owned one or even tried one. I'll be buying an iPhone 5 (once they acually have some available in my local store) so that my 4s xan go to my wife who needs to upgrade her 3GS. I've bought into the ecosystem now and I can't be bothered to learn how to use a different phone so until Apple release a run of absolute lemons I'll stick with them. I just won't be shouting about their "amazing ergonomics"! Rant over]

19. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Yeah it took a couple days to get used to the screen. I love it though, sometimes I think I would want it a little wider. I've been using the phone in portrait mode a lot more on Safari.

20. JesalTV Guest

I really like the screen size, I just want app makers to hurry up and update their apps, that's the real problem.

But I understand these things take time - although WhatsApp, pull your finger out!!

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I wasn't originally sold on the new screen, but now I really like it.

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Yes I agree. My iPhone 5 had a strange balance, an ergonomic oddity. The long & narrow display offered no value & if anything I found it annoying. I tried to overlook it since I knew it's layout would be strange.

So I ordered it anyway hoping the rest of the phone would be worth it. But, it just wasn't. But hey... at least I gave it a chance.

Now I'm enjoying my iPhone 4S more than ever. :)

23. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I would like to see the 5 screen in a 4s housing (without the glass back). Bezel to bezel and move the home / chin button.

24. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Part of it is just "Change is scary!"

I've adapted to my 4" screen quite quickly. Others may take a little longer.

When you buy a new car it sometimes takes you a week to find the right seating position, the correct way to quickly unbuckle your seatbelt, etc. All the familiarity you have with the last one you owned isn't helpful for using the new one. Over time, you gain the familiarity with the new one and are able to operate as good or better as you used to with the old one. Same principle at work here.

25. FieldingMellish Suspended