I love my new macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Riseagainst540, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Riseagainst540 macrumors newbie

This is my first Mac and I elected to go with the 2.0 Glassbook. I love it. Sooooo much better than Windows! I was worried about some QC issues and I have none! No slanted keys, dead pixels, or a loose battery cover (took it off quite a few times to make sure) Mac has converted yet another Windows user.
    :apple:love

2. pratap21 macrumors member

Congrats!.. Enjoy your new buy.

How do you find the screen though?

3. chrisiw macrumors regular

Great! hope you enjoy your new MacBook, its good to hear a good report, after some of the issues posted on here, I would hate to have to go back to a windows machine, when I upgrade my White MacBook which has been very good;)

4. Riseagainst540 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also wouldn't listen to anyone who complains about the screen, it's beautiful! I can't find a bad viewing angle. People are too picky on here.

5. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

That's been the case forever on MR -- you just can't make the mistake of thinking MR represents anywhere close to an accurate cross sample of the Mac community.

6. PresentACat macrumors regular

I find that almost impossible to believe. Whilst the screen can look very nice at times, if you get some black on there you MUST be able to see its shades of grey and black, huge difference top to bottom.

7. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I absolutely agree. For heaven's sake, this is a portable computer, not a plasma TV. Yes, the default color profile has a slight blue tint. If it bothers you, a simple re-calibration would fix it; likewise for the contrast if you want more, the choice is there.

Professional graphic designers should be working with a Mac Pro with 30" cinema display, not a Macbook. Aside from the soon-to-be phased out white macbook, the 13" glassbook is, afterall, the ENTRY LEVEL laptop. If you like the MB Air screen better, spend more and go buy a MBA.

8. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

QFT.

9. PresentACat macrumors regular

I'm not seeing blue tint, and I'm not expecting the best display money can buy (even though perhaps I ought to), what I'm expecting is a screen that has ANY angle, even just a range of 0.5 degrees vertically, where the top isnt negative and the bottom isnt gray (when viewing dark images, although it is really always there if your eyes notice it. For example I see the dock looking a lot less vibrant than the images in the middle of the screen.

The colours look lovely in the right conditions, but I'm afraid any image which is meant to be black/dark will look like crap. Boot up windows or something and see how bad it looks on the black loading screen with the bar scrolling.

I've got cheapo laptops from numerous places and they had better blacks than this by a long way.

It might be "entry level", but it is 'Entry Level" for a supposedly premium brand. This laptop costs £1150 in the UK! If that is a price to pay for average/entry leve then you are a tool.
    If I buy the cheapest Bentley in the range, I still expect it to be a top quality item in comparison to a Ford.

10. Riseagainst540 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I get black on my screen, it's....black. It's beautiful screen. I have no complaints whatsoever.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Apple has found its target demographic. Glad you're happy.

Would be interested in knowing what other notebook computers you've had to make the comparison though.

12. MacJenn macrumors regular

I agree. Some people will accept a WalMart standard screen as long as it has that lit Apple on the front of it. Apple has truly found their market and that market doesn't value good quality.

13. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

I'd rate my AluBook screen of acceptable quality. Not great, but certainly not the worse I've ever seen.

I have owned at one point: iBook G3, iBook G4, Powerbook G4 15", Macbook Pro 15", Black Macbook, White Macbook, IBM Thinkpad T42, IBM Thinkpad X41 Tablet, Dell D620

I would say the current Macbook is better than all of those except the Macbook Pro, the T42 (which was an SXGA+ screen) and the X41 Tablet.

14. Riseagainst540 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've owned anything from a Dell to a Vaio. I see no problems with the screen.

Now stop acting all "holier than thou" I have no reason to nitpick anything like most the people here do. I paid my money and got exactly what I paid for. This isn't a $5000 notebook.

15. jade macrumors 6502

More evidence that MAcJenn is bitter some people actually like their new macbooks.

I like mine too. Each and every thread that mentions something similar seems to have a disproportionate number of haters coming in to rain on their parade.

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Holier than thou?? Hardly...

Chill, I said Apple has found their demographic.

If you're happy, that's great. As a stockholder, go buy another one - please!

As a long-time Mac user, the MB I just returned had a mediocre display. I didn't opt for the cheap machine so I was a bit disappointed. I loved mine too for everything - but the display.

17. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

I Guess I'm Not Picky Enough But, . . .

I'm finding that after a quick calibration, the display on my 2.4 ghz Macbook is very good. I've used them all and not sure what people are talking about.

I have my MBA sitting beside the MB and they both look good to me. I would give the nod to the MBA but not by much.

In fact, I would say that the MB display is great (after the calibration)!

18. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I'm with you, Indydenny.

19. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Okay, I don't want to poop on anyone's parade but I must have gotten a bad MB? Here's what mine looked like side by side w. my Air in exactly the type of situation I was displeased about, differentiating dark hues. Light webpages were very okay.

Attached Files:

20. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Wow, that's quite a difference! Can any confirm this is an accurate representation of the new MB display? I didn't observe such 'light' blacks upon my viewing in the Apple store, but that is definitely noticeable.

21. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

I agree the MacBook does have a washed out screen and the viewing angles are terrible (like seen).
    But I don't think it is THAT bad in comparison to the MBA when dead on looking at both screens watching a video, etc.
    I tried it yesterday with my sister's MBA.
    Straight on it is mediocre. Any angles just makes it worse.
    I mean this laptop was $1749 (CAD) which is too expensive for a crappy screen. The MBA isnt that much more. Too bad I tend to watch DVDs when on vacation or I woulda gone for the Air.
    I guess I will have to deal with it...

22. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

MBA vs. MB screen compared again. This time I went into a dark room and compared with BEST angle possible. I'm not lying guys, I tried to make this work. Too much time was wasted trying to get a good color profile to make it average, I think that's ridiculous.

This isn't about shaky loose battery covers, dust under the screen, loud trackpad or spacebar clicking - this is about the #1 thing you interface most with your laptop. The fact is, the display should have been head and shoulders above the last gen. MB's. Display prices have decreased since last rev., it's LED backlit and prices of the MB's have increased. There should be no comparison of last gen. vs. alumibook but people are torn on which is better. Go figure???

I expected the display to have kept up with the rest of the computers great features but mehh...

Attached Files:

23. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

Who watches a movie on a 13" screen, I prefer my 52" just my 2 cents.

24. haoqfu macrumors regular

i'm sure this will keep lots of "new hp" lovers' mouth shut. i'm going with mba. the new mb screen is just ridiculous.

25. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Hmmm, that train of thought should ask why in the world did Apple make a Nano to view them....:rolleyes:

It also looked bad on dark web pages or pictures that had a lot of dark details - but who uses iPhoto, right?