I missed jury duty

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Illuminated, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

So I work a night job, and I had jury duty this past Monday. I worked Sunday night, and I sleep through the morning and into the afternoon. Completely forgetting I had jury duty that day. I took out the paper they sent me, and it said that if I fail to report to jury duty, I will either get fined $500, or get imprisoned for 10 days, or both.

First of all, I'm not a criminal. I wouldn't last 10 minutes in jail, let alone 10 days. And I'm not able to pay 500 bucks out of my pocket. I've got my car insurance to pay for, and my health insurance to pay for. $500 bucks is not in my plan.

What usually happens to most people if they forget to show up?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Send in a letter from work stating your hours. Pretty much, you tell the court that because of work schedule you can't make it. However, this should have been done sooner. But I believe you can still make it. Just be quick about it.

3. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

But I already MISSED jury duty! it was the 19th.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just don't drop the soap and you'll be fine in jail ;)

Have you tried calling them? This varies from city to city and no one here can answer what will happen. I'd be surprised if they actually followed through on a fine or jail if you call and explain yourself and offer to serve in the coming months.

5. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

I'd say if their paperwork has a number on it, call them and explain what happened. Make an effort! If they see that it was an honest mistake and you're not just blowing them off, that can wheigh heavily on the outcome of this situation.

6. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I'm gonna call them tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully they understand. I'm only 20 years old, working a full time night job as a bread baker.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wow, are they serious about jail? I mean, is it worth all the bother to chuck someone in prison for only ten days...?

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Check your jury summons form.

There should be an option on it for postponement, especially if work-related, but you would have had to respond to it before your first day of the summons. That is how it is here in CA (I just got called for it). If you are working graveyard shift, that is grounds for you to postpone it until you are available to serve on it.

But like the others said, do it, an do it FAST.

BL.

9. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

They'll probably be reasonable. It also depends how it works in your county. In my county you are supposed to call each of three nights to see if you are needed for service the following day. I remembered to call the first two nights, but not the last night. Fortunately, I wasn't needed! Hope you fair similarly well.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it's hard to say since they're never heard from again

11. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I just got some jury duty papers in the mail today.. WTF.. first time for me.. gonna get out ot it though.. Student!! :)

12. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Yes. Pour encourager les autres.

OP, prepare to grovel. Missing jury duty can be a huge deal - but hopefully you'll have a good reason for being missing, and they'll see you're repentant and such - and the judge isn't pissy that day.

Don't blow it off - contempt of court could come into play, with a warrant for your arrest and the whole 9 yards. Get it addressed straight away - it won't go away and will get worse the longer you wait.

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Some judges will not hesitate to jail anyone who fails to report for jury duty. The last time I got called to jury duty, the judge made a 20 minute speech that was designed "to put the fear of god" into anyone who might dare be thinking of skipping out on their "civic duty" under his watch.

Maybe some court systems are more understanding that others, but... I would suggest that you to go into court ASAP, looking as young, innocent, meek, and scared as possible and ask for mercy. Don't lie. Tell the truth. Most judges can read people very well. Having an overall deer-in-headlights look might help...

14. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Call the courthouse and explain what happened. You may have to appear in front of a judge to explain yourself but I doubt you will see the inside of a jail cell simply for missing jury duty.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Instead of panicking, first find out if you were actually summoned that day. The only way you can know this is if you remembered to check the website or call the number before 5pm the day of your summons (after 5 it switches to the people who have to go in the next day).

If you didn't bother to find this out, then the chances that you were summoned to court will vary greatly from county to county. Most out here in California tend to "over summon" which means that the odds that you have to actually go in are very slim (to date I've never had to go in despite getting a summons once per year).

16. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i am not sure if working through the night isn't a good ecuse , after all whats the point of a jury who sleep in court and then shout "quilty" ...only to get home to their bed quickly

17. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I'm calling today. But I tried to call when I first got the paper in the mail, and it told me to fax a letter 14 days before the scheduled jury duty. I don't have a fax machine, and I have no idea where to find a fax machine. I couldn't do anything. When I tried to call, it was an automated message with no option of speaking to someone.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Take some personal responsibility. You don't know where to find a fax machine. :rolleyes:

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apparently the OP also does not interact with anyone during the day that they could ask. :eek:

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

OP also doesn't seem to be very Illuminated either.

21. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

OP, due follow up and tell us how you made out.

22. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Sadly OP was shanked in the shower this morning. . . ;)

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

He's baking bread at county, he never received his pardon fax.

24. Jest3r macrumors regular

An employer is required to permit you to take off for jury duty. The correct action would have been to take off for jury duty the night before to be rested that morning or make arrangements before hand.

25. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I called earlier. Luckily I didn't have to go in at all. nothing bad will happen.

And for the record, I never in my life used a fax machine. I have no idea how to fax a damn thing. Why can't everyone email?