Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themaestro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Ireland
Ok so I have upgraded to 12 Pro from the X. The brick that came with the X does not connect with the cable for the 12. I'm all for the environment but I'm sorry this is ridiculous for a phone I paid almost €1300 for.

Also, how do I connect the 12 Pro to my Apple Car Play as I use this regularly for my Sat Nav in particular.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
For the brick, get the Anker 20W brick. It’s the same size as the old Apple 5W brick.

For CarPlay, assuming your car has a USB-A port, just use any USB-A to Lightning cable.

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
Ok so I have upgraded to 12 Pro from the X. The brick that came with the X does not connect with the cable for the 12. I'm all for the environment but I'm sorry this is ridiculous for a phone I paid almost €1300 for.

Also, how do I connect the 12 Pro to my Apple Car Play as I use this regularly for my Sat Nav in particular.

You don't have to use the new cable that comes with your 12 Pro. You can use the same charger and lighting cable from your previous iPhone.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020

Ridiculous though it may be, what is stopping you from using the cable you've been using all along?

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
You don't have to use the new cable that comes with your 12 Pro. You can use the same charger and lighting cable from your previous iPhone.
I don’t understand why this is so difficult to understand for a lot of people. 5 of my family members and friends got the new iPhone. I had to explain to 3 of the 5 to just use the same cable and power supply from their old iPhones. All of them were confused but it doesn’t fit. Smh

Reactions: oneteam

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
I don’t understand why this is so difficult to understand for a lot of people. 5 of my family members and friends got the new iPhone. I had to explain to 3 of the 5 to just use the same cable and power supply from their old iPhones. All of them were confused but it doesn’t fit. Smh

I don't either. Maybe Apple shouldn't have included the cable at all.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
I don't either. Maybe Apple shouldn't have included the cable at all.

I agree...including the cable seems to have confused people. Might have been best to just not include the cable OR the brick. People are assuming they HAVE to use the new cable that came with the phone and not any of the 1,254 other cables they already have laying around the house.

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I agree...including the cable seems to have confused people. Might have been best to just not include the cable OR the brick. People are assuming they HAVE to use the new cable that came with the phone and not any of the 1,254 other cables they already have laying around the house.
I had to face time my sister to be like look this is my old cable in an old power supply and boom it charges lmao.
But then later she text and said it charges so slow. I was like it charges at the same rate as it charged your old phone. Lmao

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
You can also get an 30W USB-C charger for about $15 on Amazon. I am not sure if there are any tests yet but last years iPhone 11 can charge at 22W, the iPhone 12 should be similar.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, I don't get it either. I've seen so many posts of people who seem confused because they think they have to use the cable that came with the phone. It's still a lightning port on the phone, I don't get why this is hard.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

How did you connect your X to Apple Car Play? Both the X and the 12 Pro have a lightning port so the same cable you used for your X will work just fine.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

These threads just baffle me. OP and the rest of the people complaining about the brick or different cable. You were charging your previous iPhone, use the same freaking cable and brick you did for that iPhone with the 12. This is not hard, and I don’t care how old your iPhone is (unless your using an iPhone 4, which no one is), you have all the cables and bricks you need. The complaining when a new iPhone comes out gets so old.

Reactions: hirsthirst

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These threads just baffle me. OP and the rest of the people complaining about the brick or different cable. You were charging your previous iPhone, use the same freaking cable and brick you did for that iPhone with the 12. This is not hard, and I don’t care how old your iPhone is (unless your using an iPhone 4, which no one is), you have all the cables and bricks you need. The complaining when a new iPhone comes out gets so old.
That said, there is a point there when it comes to many typical consumers who wouldn't really know better and just go with what is provided in the box with the device (as is typical for most things) and potentially run into an issue with a power adapter no longer being there and them not having a power adapter that fits the cable that is now provided.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
That said, there is a point there when it comes to many typical consumers who wouldn't really know better and just go with what is provided in the box with the device (as is typical for most things) and potentially run into an issue with a power adapter no longer being there and them not having a power adapter that fits the cable that is now provided.

How many people would simply think they have to use the cable and brick in the box? My parents who don’t keep up with tech at all know their old cables work with a new iPhone. The bigger issue would be if Apple put a USB-C port on the iPhone. That would cause more confusion than this. My parents haven’t used a charging cable and brick from the box in years.

themaestro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Ireland
Cant you just use the cable that you used with your X? if/when i upgrade, i definitely wont be upgrading everything i own to USB-C, im more likely to throw the included cable in a drawer. i dont own any USB-C anything...
Only discovered the old cable connects in the car.

themaestro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Ireland
Ridiculous though it may be, what is stopping you from using the cable you've been using all along?
For the car yes (just discovered). Ok so can use old cable. I don't see the point of not having USB on other end of cable. Is it heavier? Give me a break Apple

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How many people would simply think they have to use the cable and brick in the box? My parents who don’t keep up with tech at all know their old cables work with a new iPhone. The bigger issue would be if Apple put a USB-C port on the iPhone. That would cause more confusion than this. My parents haven’t used a charging cable and brick from the box in years.
Given millions who buy iPhones and how many of them are essentially typical consumers who are not very tech savvy at all, plenty could fall into that category.

Reactions: nawnp

themaestro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Ireland
When I saw the tiny connectors at each end I assumed it was a different cable. Whoopie Doo

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Given the millions that buy devices and how many of them are essentially typical consumers who are not very tech savvy at all, plenty could fall into that category.

Which category? My parents are the average consumer who knows nothing about which charging cable came in the box. They just know it takes the same cable they already have.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
When I saw the tiny connectors at each end I assumed it was a different cable. Whoopie Doo

It is a different cable, but you don’t need that cable to charge the phone. It’s the same port on the iPhone, obviously an old cable charges it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.