Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
I wouldn't have known that

You wouldn't have known what? That the connections are not the same on both ends? With all your technology experience, you can't look at two things and see that they are different? As for the iPad cable, no, you'd have no reason to know that if you don't own one, but that wasn't the point of the post.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Ok so I have upgraded to 12 Pro from the X. The brick that came with the X does not connect with the cable for the 12. I'm all for the environment but I'm sorry this is ridiculous for a phone I paid almost €1300 for.

Also, how do I connect the 12 Pro to my Apple Car Play as I use this regularly for my Sat Nav in particular.
Use the existing lightning cables you have. I assume you have some. I’m planning to charge overnight using the 5w charger for battery longevity purposes.
Just my two cents I won’t charge daily using a fast charger.

I’d buy a fast charger for days when I need to pick up a quick charge before going out, like you have 20% and need to go out.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah I am not sure which this was on this thread. Seemed trolly to me
Not sure if simply not fitting in with some type of assumptions necessarily means something like that.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
These threads just baffle me. OP and the rest of the people complaining about the brick or different cable. You were charging your previous iPhone, use the same freaking cable and brick you did for that iPhone with the 12. This is not hard, and I don’t care how old your iPhone is (unless your using an iPhone 4, which no one is), you have all the cables and bricks you need. The complaining when a new iPhone comes out gets so old.
Sheep comment, maybe people sell their old phone with charger/cable. not everyone has spares.

Reactions: C. Robert

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
It’s annoying for normal people. Even if you buy the MagSafe charger. You also have to buy the new 20w apple brick to get the full 15 watts of charge.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Not sure if simply not fitting in with some type of assumptions necessarily means something like that.

No assumptions at all. Look back at the OPs first post. He said “$1000 iPhone should have a brick in it”. It’s less to do with not know what cable to use with what brick, and more about the principal of not getting a brick in the box for the same price.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Sheep comment, maybe people sell their old phone with charger/cable. not everyone has spares.

Sheep comment? Give me break. Half of macrumors is bitching about things that don’t matter a hill of beans. “The color of the screen is too yellow”, “the battery life sucks”, “there is no brick in the box”. Come on it’s so tiring. Don’t buy the damn phone if you don’t like it. No one forced anyone too, and not having a brick in the box is so minor. If there were something legit wrong with the phone, sure.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No assumptions at all. Look back at the OPs first post. He said “$1000 iPhone should have a brick in it”. It’s less to do with not know what cable to use with what brick, and more about the principal of not getting a brick in the box for the same price.
Appears that that assumption isn't quite the case.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Sheep comment? Give me break. Half of macrumors is bitching about things that don’t matter a hill of beans. “The color of the screen is too yellow”, “the battery life sucks”, “there is no brick in the box”. Come on it’s so tiring. Don’t buy the damn phone if you don’t like it. No one forced anyone too, and not having a brick in the box is so minor. If there were something legit wrong with the phone, sure.

Those other things are faults, no brick is just a money grab, any person with 2 eyes can see that.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Those other things are faults, no brick is just a money grab, any person with 2 eyes can see that.

A money grab? You have got to be joking me. The 5w power brick that comes with past iPhones was $20 to consumers. $20!! That’s cost Apple maybe $5 to make. Leaving it out saves them $5, did you want Apple to discount the iPhone $5? That’s going to make all the difference in the world.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
A money grab? You have got to be joking me. The 5w power brick that comes with past iPhones was $20 to consumers. $20!! That’s cost Apple maybe $5 to make. Leaving it out saves them $5, did you want Apple to discount the iPhone $5? That’s going to make all the difference in the world.

20w Brick is $29AUD here

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
It’s not about how much it cost to make. It’s the cost to consumer. Apple sees a way of making $20 plus on a charger and $50 plus in a MagSafe. It’s simple economics.

Reactions: Robbosan

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It’s not about how much it cost to make. It’s the cost to consumer. Apple sees a way of making $20 plus on a charger and $50 plus in a MagSafe. It’s simple economics.

Yes, but seriously how many people are going to go out and buy a new brick or cable? Not many at all. I will never buy another brick. The MagSafe, that has nothing to do with this. That’s an extra accessory. If Apple required it to charge the phone, that would be a whole another store.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Yes, but seriously how many people are going to go out and buy a new brick or cable? Not many at all. I will never buy another brick. The MagSafe, that has nothing to do with this. That’s an extra accessory. If Apple required it to charge the phone, that would be a whole another store.
If I bough a iPhone right now. I would have to buy a brick to get fast charging or use the 5 watt and an old cable.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
If I bough a iPhone right now. I would have to buy a brick to get fast charging or use the 5 watt and an old cable.

Fast charging has always been an upgrade. It wasn’t until last year Apple put it in the box. I don’t think fast charging should be included. One it degrades the battery faster, and 2 most people don’t need it. Apple’s suggestion is that most people have a at least a 5 watt brick. That’s all you need. If you would like to have fast charging, you go pay for the upgrade. I had to get a different charger for my iPad to have fast charging, as well my iPhone X using an iPad charger. I had no issues upgrading I’d I wanted fast charging. As well this year, if I want MagSafe, I will pay that as an upgrade. Should Apple have included a wireless charger with the iPhone 8, 8+, and X when wireless charging was introduced.

nawnp

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2017
Little rock, Ar
Fast charging has always been an upgrade. It wasn’t until last year Apple put it in the box. I don’t think fast charging should be included. One it degrades the battery faster, and 2 most people don’t need it. Apple’s suggestion is that most people have a at least a 5 watt brick. That’s all you need. If you would like to have fast charging, you go pay for the upgrade. I had to get a different charger for my iPad to have fast charging, as well my iPhone X using an iPad charger. I had no issues upgrading I’d I wanted fast charging. As well this year, if I want MagSafe, I will pay that as an upgrade. Should Apple have included a wireless charger with the iPhone 8, 8+, and X when wireless charging was introduced.
This is what is strange, they made it seem like a Pro feature to include a fast charger with the phone, and lets be real this was something they should have done like 4 years ago, but good to come to their senses, and then decided to end that upgrade a year later and instead confuse all previous iPhone users with a worthless USB C cable(which is clearly there so when you ask the Apple store employee what are you supposed to do with it, they point to their new $20 shiny bricks that so happen to be made for their new wireless chargers).

The real answer is throw away the cord that came with the phone and use a USB A to lightning cable or buy one if you don't have one already. Apple is now actively contributing to e-waste and your $1300 phone just became $1320, or $850 in the case of the iPhone 12 64gb.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
This is what is strange, they made it seem like a Pro feature to include a fast charger with the phone, and lets be real this was something they should have done like 4 years ago, but good to come to their senses, and then decided to end that upgrade a year later and instead confuse all previous iPhone users with a worthless USB C cable(which is clearly there so when you ask the Apple store employee what are you supposed to do with it, they point to their new $20 shiny bricks that so happen to be made for their new wireless chargers).

The real answer is throw away the cord that came with the phone and use a USB A to lightning cable or buy one if you don't have one already. Apple is now actively contributing to e-waste and your $1300 phone just became $1320, or $850 in the case of the iPhone 12 64gb.

Wrong! I don’t know a single person that upgraded that went out and bought a cable or a brick. Again anyone that doesn’t have an Apple charging cable and brick already sure as heck isn’t buying fast charging gear. That a premium addition that they wouldn’t need.

Not for a second do I believe Apple wouldn’t try to up sale something, but that’s not what this is. I am pissed they pulled the bs with making the max the better camera. Total and utter bs, but they didn’t get me. I still went for the 12 pro because I am not carrying around a tablet all day in my pocket.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wrong! I don’t know a single person that upgraded that went out and bought a cable or a brick. Again anyone that doesn’t have an Apple charging cable and brick already sure as heck isn’t buying fast charging gear. That a premium addition that they wouldn’t need.
Anecdotal experiences are basically just that. And if someone doesn't have a power adapter and a cable why would they buy something other than what would fit the new cable that is included?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There is no reply to the above that someone wouldn't have some criticism about and have Apple and other companies contribute less to e-waste. Anything Apple did would result in some criticism by someone.

So might as well include a usb-c to lightning port cable. It can go in the draw, as anything else could or would. And if by happenstance the person does not have the means to charge the phone, there are plenty of options available.

Reactions: bmac4

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is no reply to the above that someone wouldn't have some criticism about and have Apple and other companies contribute less to e-waste. Anything Apple did would result in some criticism by someone.

So might as well include a usb-c to lightning port cable. It can go in the draw, as anything else could or would. And if by happenstance the person does not have the means to charge the phone, there are plenty of options available.
And yet Apple themselves handled it differently when they removed the headphone jack.

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
Ok so I have upgraded to 12 Pro from the X. The brick that came with the X does not connect with the cable for the 12. I'm all for the environment but I'm sorry this is ridiculous for a phone I paid almost €1300 for.

Also, how do I connect the 12 Pro to my Apple Car Play as I use this regularly for my Sat Nav in particular.
You dont have a lightning cable lying around??

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
For years and years everyone has cried about the 5watt charger. Apple adding a fast charger was seen as a big upgrade. You're the only person happy with no charger and a slow charger from 1901. If you just feel a need to defend apple for being cheap and almost a Trillion dollar company, then just say that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.