I need help making a case (arguement) for a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bmoseley07, May 13, 2007.

1. bmoseley07 macrumors member

bmoseley07

Hey everybody,

I was on here a couple months ago about whether or not I should get a MacBook or a MBP. Well, I decided that a MBP would be the better machine for me.

For about year now, I was told I would be getting a Mac for my (high school) graduation present, which is now in a month. An hour ago I recently told that I might not be getting a Mac because it makes more "sense" to get a Dell.

My parents are both pro-Mac people, but due to the relatively expensive cost of Macs, they both use Windows.

That's all and good, except I've had to endure using a Dell for 4 years now. I've countless problems and had to reformat it at least 2 times now.

The reason they are deciding to go with the Dell is because there is a program at the school (Bridgewater, if that helps) where you can get cheap through them and then they on-campus support, so if it dies, they just take out the HD and stick it in a new Dell and off I go.

Fine, but I'm a graphic/web designer. I'm going to have to spend thousands on applications and I don't want to spend money on apps for a Windows machine that I'm not going to keep.

They rebutted saying they would pay for all those applications for the Dell.

Don't ask me why they're trying to make this difficult on me. I've tried the whole Macs break down less but MacWorld recently did a thing on reliability and it showed that Mac laptops need to get fixed a lot. So that's not going to work.

I'm having a hard time explaining how painful it is to use the Windows OS and I sincerely mean it. It's ugly. It doesn't do what I want it to do. And I get more done when I work on a Mac (I use Macs at school in my graphics class).

Apparently, it's going to cost $1200 to get the Dell, which incidently is the same price as the better white Macbook with a student discount.

So the only thing is that Bridgewater has an on-campus support program. That's the only difference.

I am asking for some help here on convincing my parents that the Mac is the best route to go.

Thanks in advance.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And here I was, ready to tell you how to build a new casing for your Mac in timber or aluminium. I thought you must have damaged it somehow... :p

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah I read the title the same way too.

4. bmoseley07 thread starter macrumors member

bmoseley07

Fixed the title. Sorry for the confusion. I'd laugh a little more if this wasn't life or death.:p

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Can't you get Parallels or use Bootcamp and accept the free Windows software?

7. Queso macrumors G4

Personally if it were me and they were dead set on spending their own money on something I didn't actually want and didn't feel was right for my needs I'd very politely thank them but decline the computer altogether. Wouldn't you rather they spend it on themselves rather than on something you don't want?

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Macs are the industry standard for graphic design for good reason. End of argument. If you haven't got Mac skills on your resume or when you work anywhere, you're in a hopeless position...

Ask them whether they'd like you to learn your driving skills on a tractor.

9. bmoseley07 thread starter macrumors member

bmoseley07

Funny enough. That's not the problem. Apparently, the free software is XP Pro (don't need), Office, Publisher (I'm a graphic designer- don't need) and Frontpage (oh god, i'm a web designer. i wouldn't be caught dead with that on my machine).

The problem is that they have on-campus support so that if the laptop ever dies, I can just walk right over to there and they can swap the HD into another laptop and I'm on my way. Unforntunatly, Apple can't compete with that because no matter what I still have to send it to them or go to an Apple Store near by.

10. bmoseley07 thread starter macrumors member

bmoseley07

Actually I was seriously considering saying that. I already have a Dell and didn't understand why they'd want to do that.

11. bmoseley07 thread starter macrumors member

bmoseley07

lol I brought that up too. Not the tractor anology, but the fact that ALL graphic designers use it. My step-dad disagreed. I said if you look at the good ones they all use Macs. I told him that everybody in print uses Macs. But he doesn't believe me.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Where does your step-dad get these ideas from?

You're dealing with ignorance so you've got to educate, not berate. It's your graduation present, for your intended career. I can't really offer any advice on how to persuade someone who has already made their mind up... except for gentle persistence.

You need someone with some authority, someone who's opinion they respect to back you up.

I'm a designer, that's what I do. I could give your step-dad a handful of reasons why the Mac is a better choice for your needs... but it seems like he won't believe them coming from you.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Ask them to buy you $1200 worth of beer stating that it will help your future career as much as the Dell would :).

Edit : I'm in a flippant mood today...

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Statistics don't mean crap. I've had a dell go through 11 motherboards, and a gateway go through 2 in twice the time period. Plus, what happens when your XP install gets all crapped up with spyware and adware? Try telling your stepfather that. Also, what if you can't get it with XP? Do you really wanna try to explain to him why Vista is such crap? How about this one.. you'll sell it on ebay and get yourself a mac with the money.

15. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Buy a refurb! It's exactly the same as a new one (sometimes even better) and WAY cheaper. The (sometimes even better) is referring to the unexpected upgrades that sometimes come with your new Mac. E.G. more RAM, better HDD, etc. The only difference is that it doesn't come in the nice stylish box. (Don't worry, you aren't missing much.) Now I see that there aren't any MacBook Pros in the refurb store currently, but just be patient, they're bound to show up sooner or later.

Also - they come with the same AppleCare coverage as new Macs. :) Seriously. This looks like the best option for you. If money is the primary problem (like it looks it is). Offer to help pay it off, get a job. Thats what I did. :p

16. jawzzy macrumors regular

First post, yay!

Anyways, you should point out that a Mac laptop should last you throughout the end of college (I assume yours will be four years?) and possibly beyond, whereas the cheaper Dell will have a tough time making it that long. Once you configure a higher end Dell to last 4+ years like the Mac, the two computers will probably end up having similar prices. Instead of buying a second Dell after college, you could probably just keep your Mac through grad school/design school/whatever is in your future.

You could also tell them that you appreciate their offer of a Dell, but instead, you would want them to give you funds towards the purchase of a Mac, making up the differrence with your own money.

17. bmoseley07 thread starter macrumors member

bmoseley07

Yea, that's a big point I've tried to bring up.

That's exactly what I was thinking it was going to come down to.

Blue Velvet, if you could do that, that would be a lifesaver. Another 4 years of working on Windows machine would be unbearable. Plus, I don't want them spending money on that when I'll just end up buying a Mac soon. So as somebody already said, I'll probably ask them to use the money towards me getting a better MBP.

18. Angrist macrumors 6502

Just ask for money instead.

Or, tell them that if they buy you the Dell you intend to sell it and get a Mac anyway.

At this point in your life, you're making decisions about where to go to school, what career to pursue, and how you want to present yourself to the world. Not to mention those oh so important college questions like "do I inhale?", "how many kegstands is too many", and "if she'll sleep with me after knowing me for 20 minutes ... do I really want to?".

The point is that it's your life and your present, you should be capable of making the decision. And they should be able to trust you to make the right now.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You know if you have even an acceptance letter from a college, you can get major discounts on software right? If nothing else, you can always do a cross platform upgrade later if you have to use Windows now and switch to a Mac later, but then, you can't upgrade educationally discounted software anyway. If you can wait a month or so, there might be some new Macs coming out based on Santa Rosa, maybe even cheaper, or if nothing else, you can get the old models on discount. You won't need to worry about that hard drive replacement thing if you get an external disk and back everything up. You can do the same yourself with the Mac. Even better if you spring for Apple Care within the year, extending it to 3 years coverage for the hardware.

As far as the Dell, just tell them that you get what you pay for, and based on my experience, they should expect to be buying you a new one about a month after the warranty is up.

20. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

I've workes at top PR (regional and national) and marketing (national) firms. All the art departments use macs.

One easy way to prove it to your parents is take them to a local professional copy shop...

21. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

How about this: I worked in print for a decade. Would he believe me?

Everyone in print uses Macs. Colour matching is more reliable (ie - you stand a fighting chance of being able to do it; you have NO chance on a Windows machine); font display is more reliable; your IT overhead is lower (I managed the IT needs of a 30+ Mac business on my own with no formal training) ...

Plus, as already mentioned, your credibility going into the design business is bolstered by Mac experience.

Hope some of that helps ...

Cheers!

Jim

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I work for Disney. All the creative people use Macs. Have since before the Pixar thing. The percentage of support people per Macs is lower, but they use them because they work.

You can make all the arguments in the world though, your parents seem to be set, and once that happens, good luck getting them to change their minds.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

with a macbook the HD is pretty easy to whip out, if you need the ability to keep your work just buy a usb 2.5" sata caddy, that way if it gets b0rked you can take your work off it onto a friends or university machine.

It's not quite as good as having the whole machine replaced on the spot but it's what i've done a fair few times when my kit's been off for repair.

But yeah, if my father only wanted to buy me a dell I'd just say no thanks, I wouldn't risk having my work lost if windows messes up which happens allot on my pc, it's why I never use it for university stuff unless I absolutely have to.

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What do your parents actually want? They don't _want_ to buy either a Dell or a Mac. What they _actually_ want is to spend some money for you, to show you that they appreciate your good work, for something that is useful for you and that you will enjoy. And they are doing what they think is best to achieve this.

So now you have to figure out how to change their mind so that they think buying a Mac for you will achieve _their_ goals. There is one point where _you_ and nobody else but you has objective, unrefutable knowledge: _You_ know that getting a Mac will make you happier. It doesn't matter whether your reasons for that are objective or not, but getting a Mac will make you happier. That is irrefutable. And you know best.

So instead of arguing about the merits, just try to plant the idea in their minds that having a Mac would make you happy, and having a Dell wouldn't. Don't say "if you buy a Dell, I will sell it and buy a Mac with the money". That makes you sound spoilt and ungrateful. Say something like "I'd rather you don't buy a computer for me at all, I will save my money for a MacBook, and I can get an older refurbished model quite cheaply". That makes you look considerate, willing to work for what you want, and shows that you really mean it when you say you don't want a Dell.

25. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

One way to do it is order it by phone and insist you make the call then ring Apple not Dell. Then just pretend your asking for Dell stuff...i didn't do this myself but i did do the ordering when it came to getting my MPB for university and ended up persuading dad with the old "daaaaaad.... can i get this aswel face" worked suprisingly well :D

Also point out that the Dell is going to cause you more hassle than it's worth for pretty much all of your course whereas an Apple is considerably less likely to do any such thing. Plus if they are buying it for you...point out YOU would like a Mac not a Dell?

The could you put the money towards a mac then if its too expensive for you to buy for me and i will make up the difference argument is a good one.