General I often "try and buy"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fdjofre, Feb 22, 2014.

1. fdjofre macrumors member

I was wondering, what do you guys think of first trying the tweak by downloading it from some other source and if you like it buying it from the official one?

I believe it's my right as a consumer to know what I'm buying. If I don't like a tweak or it doesn't work I simply delete it. However if I like it I purchase it officially.

What do you guys think? Have you ever done this?

PLEASE DONT MENTION CRACKED TWEAK REPOS OR PROVIDE LINKS, I JUST WANT TO DISCUSS THE TOPIC

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

This topic is dealing with obtaining paid tweaks for free. This is piracy and theft, regardless of which excuse one wants to attach to the practice.

3. fdjofre thread starter macrumors member

I don't believe it to be theft. First off, I don't keep any of the tweaks I download. Secondly, I think you should think of it as getting a free sample of something in the sense that it serves as advertising, you try it and if you like it you purchase it.

You may not share my views but I don't think it's stealing when I'm not keeping anything.

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Obtaining paid content for free without the owner's permission is theft, and your feelings and/or opinions don't change that fact.

The pirates will stay in business as long as there is a demand for piracy, and your actions are helping to maintain that demand.

5. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I usually wait until a tweak is updated and refined until I purchase it. That means browsing on the forums I frequent and read other people's opinions.

Plus I don't support or install any repos that contain cracked tweaks. They're only a couple bucks at most so it's not like they break the bank or anything if you decide you don't like it.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

In the various threads I've read on this topic I am now convinced those who don't believe it to be theft of services will not be swayed by those who do and vice versa.

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Fun Fact: It's not a lost sale if a consumer was never intending to pay for it in the first place.

8. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

This is probably the truth.

What I find most interesting about the dichotomy is that while one position holds that, “Even though it may technically be against the letter of the law, it is not ethically wrong and I would like to see the law changed to reflect this,” the other position says, essentially, “It is against the law therefore it is wrong.”

Moreover, if the law were already, “All software must let people try it for 24 hours before deciding whether to buy,” I expect the vast majority of people would be fine with that and would not try to change it. Indeed I think if that were the case then many of the very same people who currently rail “It is theft!” would just as adamantly maintain, “It is a consumer’s right!” if someone advocated to eliminate that 24-hour trial law.

Regardless of the ethics or legality, I for one have purchased several tweaks that I definitely would not have purchased had I been unable to try them first.

And, while I have never done that for App Store apps, there are a fair number of those which, if they offered a free trial, I would test out several competing apps and buy the one I like best. But as it is, I do not want to purchase all of them to find my favorite, so I have bought none, which is bad for both me and those developers.

9. cnotes2019 Suspended

Omg if you avoid this whole argument, instead of using pirated repos just pay for the tweak/app using Amazon or PayPal and if it doesn't workout for whatever reason request a refund for said reason :) the end.

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I do find those who believe it is wrong to "pirate" tweaks/apps should probably avoid jailbrake tethering apps to avoid the appearance of hypocrisy.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The easy answer to this is for the developers to attach a Free Trial with their tweaks for someone to have a taste !

12. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Personally, I don't have a problem with the concept of trying before you buy. A good point raised in this thread however, is that crackers keep cracking as long as there's demand. So in that sense it's not smart to try out cracked tweaks because it makes you part of the problem, even though you buy the tweak later on.

I myself don't bother with cracked tweaks and apps and fishy repos. Websites like youtube, idownloadblog etc give me enough of an idea as to needing something or not, if the description doesn't do so already. Furthermore, over the four years that I've owned iPhones, obsolete/lemon tweaks and apps may have cost me 20-25 dollars. Not something that keeps me awake at night. But yea, I do download music without blinking. And I bet most of the thief labelers do as well.

Speaking of which, I wish people would stop calling using a copy of something without paying theft.

13. tomtattoo macrumors member

tomtattoo

I often buy and then try - so what?
    Perhaps "lost" 20 $ in three years..that´s worth it!
    The only thing that really sucks is a tweak description which lefts me totally helpless - no clue what the tweak does.

14. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I have no problem with trying before buying. I don't think commerce should be a one way road, even in the jailbreak community. How are we going to get better and better tweaks, without try and buy? In the Apple app store, I've tried hundreds of apps, but chose not to buy the "Pro" version or the "Paid" version because the free version sucked. I don't see why some sort of free or trial version of some of the paid tweaks won't work in the jailbreak community.

15. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

16. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

That's great.

17. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Pretty sure I can try on clothes before buying them, never been in jail for that.
    Also alot of shops that sell CD's allow you to listen to them before buying.

18. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I think it sucks to buy things without being able to try them.

That being said, it's fairly normal in practice. Not everything we buy, can we try first.

So I tend to just wait for a bunch of other people to buy tweaks, and if reviews are favorable, I'll try it myself.

19. hafr macrumors 68030

Whilst true, it's a fairly weird argument to make. I understand I can't try the entrecôte before ordering it at a restaurant. But when it comes to software, I simply don't understand developers not using trial periods or demos as a way of letting people try their products before purchase.

20. fdjofre, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

fdjofre thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately for me, I live in a country where the US dollar is VERY expensive. I do not try before I buy because I like to support piracy. I do it because before I spend my money I would like to know whether my purchase will be worth it.

I wouldn't feel okay as a developer if people bought my tweak, saw that it wasn't what they wanted and deleted it only to complaint to me later because they had to pay for something that they didn't want or doesn't work for them.

Also, I agree that it should be a normal practice for developers to offer a trial version, it's only fair.

21. caribsa macrumors regular

I have never try and buy in my case not buy until today. I have an iPad 4 and bought Springtomize 3 and HomeScreen Designer just to find out they don't play well together on the iPad. I think it's due to the icons rotating in springboard on the iPad since I'm also unable to use FolderIcons Tweak without the iPad freezing. All I want is a weather widget on the 1st page and to arrange the icons around it. Someone here suggested that I use Gridlock 2.0. They said it plays nice with Springtomize 3 and since I just want a simple 1st page design, it was my best bet. Then I looked in Cydia only to see it listed at $4.99. Don't mind spending that but what about if it does not work. I'm already not using HomeScreen Designer and I paid for it. So I went to search for a copy of Gridlock 2.0 to try it. I'm glad I did since if I had purchase it, I would be mad. While it did not freeze the iPad while changing orientation, it looks horrible in Portrait mode. It's not very intuitive and I'm glad i did not buy it since it's not working like I hoped. I've since removed it and the repo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. frrrr macrumors newbie

Lol honestly I have no respect with the JB communities anti piracy BS. You can't have things in main repos like mewseek and YouTube downloader PandroaEnahncer ect. And then complain about piracy. :rolleyes:

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

To be honest I bought many paid tweaks before and some of them never worked right, were buggy or caused many other issues so I had to remove them cause my phone would run like crap. Then contacted the dev, got ignored and waited forever for updates that never came or fixed the issues.
    So now I stick to hacks from well known devs that have been around forever in the scene. They tend to support and provide multiple fixes and updates.
    There's many other devs that release tweak after tweak and instead of fixing the issues their packages still have they put out other stuff to keep the money coming in and stringing along their buyers. Then they disappear and come up with a new nickname and email when the new ios JB is out and do it all over again.

24. fdjofre thread starter macrumors member

@Caribsa, this is exactly why trying and buying is helpful. What if you had spent those 4.99 only to find it didn't work? That's really throwing money away.

@Applejuiced, I don't mind paying for a tweak if I find it will work. But since this situation of devs not responding happens really often, buying a tweak and counting on the dev to fix it for you is something I wouldn't bet on. I'd much rather try it, see if it works, and if it doesn't, delete it and wait until it's updated before I pay for it.

25. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Research is my "try and buy".

I've yet to buy something I didn't want, didn't know how it would perform, or I didn't want to support. The same thing goes for getting something that isn't free, and not paying for it. I won't do it.