I plan on using this thing atleast 8 hrs a day.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kramer733, Mar 17, 2015.

1. kramer733 macrumors newbie

Will the fanless feature be a big deal? I really don't know if this is bad or not. I also plan on having this laptop for 5+ years. I'm a soon to be OS X user and don't know if this laptop is mright for me at all. I plan on using this for netflix, web browsing, playing video games like mass effect 3 and programming. I don't know if i'll use virtual machines to be honest. My MSI laptop now overheats and won't stay on for more than 20 minutes max. Will the laptop overheat given my usages and it being fanless? I know we don't have any data on this at the moment but we do have previous mac laptops that have more than 5 years of usage.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

It will turn off before it overheats to the point of damaging your system. At least it should if it's working as planned.

3. Pootan macrumors member

Pootan

It'll be fine for all those uses, I can run mass effect 3 on my first gen i7 so it'll have no problems.

As for programming, if it's for school you'll just be reversing string over and over, or making shovel ware or something equally low resource so it'll have no problems. If you are an indie developer running unity it'll also have no problems since I run it without issue on my 11" base mba. For professional use, depending on where you work they'll just furnish you with a workstation or give you a build server you can compile on so you'll still have no issues. There are some fringe cases that'll require more power, if you were say a character pipeline artist or rendering engineer and need to do dev testing but and MB should have no problems otherwise.

4. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

The only problem will be the fever!

The Apple fever is this; you will like it so much that when the next iteration comes along you will buy it. You will justify the extra cost by the high resale value you will receive on Craig's.

Yes it will work great. If programing is what you intend to do a good idea is to get the iPad Air2 and with 'duo' expand your screen area.

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Think of it like an iPad. Those things don't shut down after heavy use.

Also, the entire keyboard area is a vent.

This is new technology, we're talking about.

If you're using it for gaming, isn't it a no-brainer to get the Pro at the same price? The processing speed is crucial.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's designed to operate safely without needing a fan.
    No, it isn't. The keyboard has never been used as a vent in Mac notebooks, and the new MacBook is no exception. There is no vent required and none are present.

7. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Heat does dissipate through the keyboard area. Try using iStat to measure the heat of your MacBook with and without the keyboard cover. It's subtly noticeable.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It radiates through naturally. It isn't vented. The keyboard is sealed

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Heat dissipates in all directions, including through the solid base. That's different from venting.

10. wct097 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't want to be running virtual machines or trying to play games on a fanless low-power 1.1 or 1.2ghz dual-core proc. I think that's a recipe for disappointment. I also wouldn't be betting on 8 hours a day battery life over 5 years without the expectation of having to pay for a battery replacement around year 3.

11. Elise macrumors 6502

Indeed, it's all about managing your expectations, that way you're not too disappointed!

12. gooser macrumors 6502

my question is will YOU last doing that stuff 8 hours a day for 5 years?

13. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I suspect if you are using it on battery power for 8 hours a day for 5 years, the battery will need to be replaced long before the processor becomes unusable with the latest OSX.

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's what I was wondering. Who is on their laptop 8 hours every day doing that stuff?

15. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

really? am, on many days, on my mac easily 8 hours a day (with breaks), often longer. between my work, email, surfing, more work...

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sure a lot of us on on computers far more than 8 hours a day, although not necessarily doing the same things the OP described.

17. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, but the OP didn't mention any kind of work!

18. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

true, and i just realized you said "that stuff"... :D

19. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Your MSI was probably meant for gaming. Just make sure your expectations are leveled with what amount of gaming you can do with a fanless Core-M.

20. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

But it dissipates at the thinness surface-area first, which is the large key-bed area.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's still not a vent. Dissipation is not the same as venting.

22. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

They both distribute heat away from the source.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I'm aware of that. Dissipation will occur without air movement, while venting requires air movement. There are no vent holes in the keyboard on Mac notebooks, and no vents at all on the new MacBook. Dissipation will occur in all directions, so heat will dissipate, even with the lid closed.

24. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

The chip is desingned not to get hotter than it can handle. So no matter how hard you push it, it is limited to a point that it doesn't damange itself.

That is all.

25. wct097 macrumors 6502

Sure we are.... but how many of us are on a 12" laptop for 8 hours a day? Doing programming? As a developer myself, I'm on a desktop with (3x) 23" monitors for 8 hours a day, then another 3-4 each night on a 15" MBP. Trust me when I tell you that I don't want to be doing development on a 12" laptop for 8+ hours per day.

My 15" MBP is great as a VMWare host for me to do dev work on, but it only has one screen and the text is small on it.