I REALLY love the new Magic Mouse!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrono1081, Nov 7, 2009.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

So, when the magic mouse came out I thought it would be crappy. For some odd reason I decided to order it anyway.

Well, it came and at first I thought I wasted my money. I hated it. Well, I saw there was a software update, I downloaded it which allowed me better customization of the mouse. I tweaked some settings and the mouse was "eh...ok".

Then I started using it for more intensive things. After litteraly an hour with the thing I went from hating it to absolutely adoring it. The scrolling is so smooth, the touch gestures are flawless, and contrary to a TUAW review scrolling is with one finger not two. And also contrary to the same TUAW review the box is not hard to open and right click is not all the way in the upper right corner of the mouse. Aside from that...

The mouse works on every surface except glass (to be expected) and right now is working flawlessly on my wrinkly bedsheets. Not even my logitec revolution mouse does that.

My only gripe with this mouse is no third mouse button. I had my spaces set to it but have since adapted to the F1 key for now. Hopefully Apple will release a future update for it to allow a third "button".

Oh, and the mouse clicks which is something I didn't expect. I thought you would just be tapping on it but its an actual physical button to push down. Its wonderful. Apple finally has a good mouse :D

2. Mew2468 macrumors regular

Hmm, nice to see a positive review for the Magic Mouse - I've been thinking about getting one but keep seeing all of these negatives about it.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I think a lot of the negative is two things:

1. People not updating the mouse software.
    2. People not using it enough.

It is a bit different because of how flat it is, and at first I didn't think I would like that but the flatness is what allows the multitouch to work so well. Its actually hard for me to go back to buttons and wheels on my other mice.

4. iCube macrumors 6502

Awesome!

Thanks for letting us know!!

I want one now! Glad to hear it has a real click!

5. Harpy007 macrumors regular

Thank you for the great review! Enjoy your new toy :)

6. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

I've only used the one in stores which have the security cable coming off the bottom. I'm seriously thinking about getting one tomorrow. I'm just looking for excuses to pay so much money. It should make me more productive right? ;)

7. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

3rd button idea

Pardon my idea as it may seem redundant and also assinine considering I don't own the magic mouse and have yet to use it.

So here goes my idea … tap & hold with 3 fingers, lifting the middle and then tapping with the middle button? Does this work by default after the update or after update and system pref setup to enable this?!

8. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Unfortunately there is no setting for this but upon playing I did notice something new that I LOVE...the 360 degree navigation. Its so useful for photo editing!

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

By chance is the idea I described not or already used by another function?

Glad that you found another feature!

10. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Nope. No other function is using what you described.

11. boston44 macrumors 6502

Guess i'll go try it out, I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the magic mouse.

12. Scallywag macrumors regular

Its a nice mouse, just what you are expecting it too be, and nothing more... very, very simple. I like mine very much.

It does need a three-finger tap for middle button functionality, and the ability to disable the physical click and use the trackpad function only (for those of us accustomed to tap-to-click.)

Apple has done a good job, and with more drivers in the future this will become a powerful little device.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

According to a hack, the Magic Mouse *is* capable of recognizing three fingers.

This would allow for incredible amounts of customization. Apple will most likely not give us that, but maybe someone else will.

14. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I also love my Magic mouse mainly because of the scrolling... There no ball to get F&#$@D up :D

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I like how it works but it is not like a normal mouse. no place to rest you hand. now my fingers rest on the mousepad. that's ok though not ideal.

16. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I have not used the Magic Mouse, but I think this comment is dead on. I used to have a scroll wheel mouse, which I love and still miss. It was way more efficient than any mouse I ever used. But to anyone that came over and tried to use it, it was awful. Like many good things, it was better once you got used to it, but had a bit of a learning curve.

I can certainly see how the MM would be the same. Moral: don't be too quick to judge. :)

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That's funny, I've used my mice that way since I can remember. My wrist rests to the desk or mousepad, and I move my mouse up/down with my fingers, and left/right with my wrist. In other words, my arm doesn't move at all. I've always been comfortable with this.

I recently got (and then returned) a Logitech MX 518 for gaming on Windows, which is a large mouse. This one requires you to rest your hand on it, and to move it I have to actually move my arm. How tiring - and uncomfortable! Is this really how most people use their mouse?

18. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Still loving it!!!

And my co-worker does too. Shortly after he spied mine and started using it he ran and ordered himself one. Whats funny is he had the same initial impressions I did. Hate, then "eh, its ok", then full out love.

19. chill. macrumors 6502

i think by moving your arm you avoid small joint manipulation at the wrist and it helps to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome

20. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

I've posted this somewhere else too, but for handiness I'll put it here too: This website says that this middle click solution also works for the Magic Mouse, I don't know whether it's true as I don't have a mac.

21. cAPS lOCK macrumors member

In my opinion, mouses really need a 3rd button on the side, if not a 4th. I have a Logitech that has two on the side. I set one to "back" and the other to do Expose. Computing has never been the same for me.

22. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I had an MS Bluetooth 5000, and recently an MS Mouse 4000. I also have used a Logitech MX Rev. All had two buttons, a wheel with button, and side buttons. You know may I use? 2...the primary and secondary, and the scroll to scroll. LOL...

So...now using the new Magic Mouse, and love it. I actually like the Mighty Mouse, it was just that the ball got gunky. Beyond that, it was fine. I don't play games...have an XBOX for that, so I really don't know what I'm missing I guess. The new MM is great. Nice feel, good weight, good tracking...LOVE the scroll and two finger swipe...

I agree, that for those that DO need the extra buttons, that Apple add this via software...but not another button...

23. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I thought it was absolutely amazing when it came out. I played around with it and i found that it works really well!

Better than the mighty mouse! :D

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah. My first impression is that it's not like my MBP trackpad. Many people stop there.

Then playing around a bit more I see that it's a hybrid device with its own qualities.

25. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I agree with this 100%.

I've used it over a couple days for some very intense work and at this point I love it. I don't want to ever have to do without the momentum-based scrolling. And the mouse feels great after hours and hours of use.

The tracking is different than my previous mouse, but once I got used to it I like it quite a bit. You can get around a big monitor quickly while at the same time, slow down and be pixel-precise -- something I need to do frequently.

The right-clicking works well for this lefty (I don't switch mouse buttons) -- something the mighty mouse made awkward for me.

It's a great mouse.