I really screwed up (busted MBP story)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reubs, May 16, 2010.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I'm a bit hesitant to share this story here, but in the interest of taking my lumps I think it's necessary.

This past weekend my wife, two small kids, and I traveled to her sister's graduation. On the last day our infant was really fussy, and I did what I thought to be the dutiful thing and took him out of the restaurant and back to the car so that we could make sure everything was packed up and ready to when lunch was over.

I pulled stuff out of the car, rearranged it all to fit the stroller and stuff in there when we met back up w/ the in-laws, and got in the car. As I backed up I ran over something, thought to myself, "There's not a curb there" and then though, "Oh, f***". Sure enough, I had backed up over the bookbag housing my wife's 13" MBP I got her in March for her birthday. I felt like a fool. Pulled it out, looked at it, and it was still booted up, albeit with a VERY shattered screen.

Turns out the card we bought it with covers damages and theft up to $1,000 for 90 days after the purchase. After reading some similar stories of dealing with the card company online, I'm optimistic that we'll be taken care of. I'm wondering, though, how long folks have experienced Apple taking to repair a busted screen like this. I assume I'll have to send the item in to be repaired and then be reimbursed the cost of the repair by our card, but this mistake means that my wife gets my 15" MBP until her MBP is repaired.

Thanks for reading this. I felt like an idiot, but my wife was really cool about it. After her shock wore off, she said, "Getting upset doesn't fix anything here. You're already beating yourself up about it enough. We'll figure something else out." I'm really lucky and blessed to have such an understanding wife when I make such a stupid mistake!

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

"Takes a beating and keeps on ticking". Post some pics of the display while it's on. :p

good luck with the card.

3. TaylorJ macrumors regular

Got lucky with the card warranty! ..Your wife is cool.

4. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

While trying to prep it to send to Apple for repairs, I was trying to wipe the HDD. Looks like the bottom case is FUBARed, too. Disk drive won't accept CDs, and it looks ugly down there. I'll try to get some pics up before sending it in.

Yes, I did get lucky with the card warranty. I'll talk to them tomorrow and hope that this comes out all right.

5. MeWants macrumors newbie

MeWants

In before trolls are like "And I thought MBPs were supposed to be durable" :rolleyes:

But cool story, I kinda want to be there and capture your reaction on lens just when the crunch is heard and you realize the inevitable. o_O

6. scarboni21 macrumors regular

I would love to see the genius' face when you brought it in.

You "hey can you fix this for me?"

Him "what did you do, run this thing over with a truck?"

you " a minivan actually"

7. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Can you tell me why you posted this story?

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

To find out how long it takes for Apple to replace the screen as he said in the post?

9. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

And I'm sure he's hurting and wanted to share some of his pain...sharing helps you recover.... no??

10. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Can you tell me why you bothered reading it? Was the subject line not enough to lead you in another direction?

11. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

it's a forum.
    "mac community discussion forum"

what kind of rules do you think limit post reasonings?

and poster.
    can you take some photos of the machine?

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

you my friend, are a tool.

13. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

This thread is worthless without pics! :D

Sorry to hear about your wife's MBP.

14. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

... a tool, and ignored :p

to OP, tnx for posting your story. Yikes! and good luck

pics!

15. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

LOL

We are so mean asking for pictures so we can cringe and say "THANK GOD IT WASN'T MY Mac!"

16. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry, folks, I'll get pics up later. I've been trying to back up the HDD AND Time Machine it for redundancy's sake. Turns out our deductible is higher than the value of the computer (low premiums, though...huzzah!), so now I need to find out if the card company will ONLY pay if insurance also kicks in. If not, it may be fully out of pocket.

I'm thinking if repairs cost close to 70% of total cost of a new one then it's time to call it a total loss. Anyone think that's too high? This damn thing just crossed the 60 day mark, too...

And please let it be known I'm not complaining. This is totally my doing; part of posting here is both cathartic and taking my lumps for being a neglectful owner.

17. Jonathon McMast macrumors member

unlucky mate, it;s not worth it if you have to pay 70% - i would stick it up on ebay or try to sell it on here.

18. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Remember when your dealing with your insurance company that they deduct time used. Also if you purchased additional software like MS Word, iLife etc., that can be included in your total.

If your deductibles are high, you might be better off dealing with you cc company first! Some insurance companies if you make a claim will now cancel your policy!

I had an iBook stolen and made a claim on my homeowners insurance and sure enough they cancelled my policy, and I had been paying premiums for 20 years with no claims!!!!

19. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I talked to the ins co about it today, and they said that only after filing a few claims would our policy be affected. Also, the CC company goes through our insurance company. The way it works with this company is they will pay the deductible for us. What I need to find out, though, is if they will only pay the deductible if insurance ends up kicking in. If that's the case, it's best for us to just pay out of pocket. Again, I'll post pics and updates.

Thanks for taking some entertainment in all of this!

20. loganwhy macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing your story reubs and good luck!

21. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Ouch, I can just imagine the sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realised what you had just run over. Hope it all works out for the best and good luck.

22. dragonfly18 macrumors newbie

dragonfly18

Oh NO!!!

Yikes, I am glad your wife is as understanding as you say. I know I would have a very hard time with my hubby running over my MBP. :eek:

23. rekud300 macrumors member

rekud300

MacBook screen

If Apple won't fix it, I have a 13" MBP from Jan 09 that coffee got spilled on and fried the board. Not fixing, not sure what it's worth for the screen though. But thinking about trading in with Powermax for another MBP. seeing what they are going to offer.

24. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Wow...why do people post threads?

25. Lola M macrumors member

Sorry to hear about your Mac.
    Did you consider selling it on Ebay? I saw broken/damaged Macs for sale. Who knows, anything is possible. At least it wont be a total loss if insurance thing comes out to be too costly.
    Good luck!