Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
For the record, if CDMA is such terrible technology, why is GSM 3G using W-CDMA?

W-CDMA is an air interface.

That's one element of the UMTS. CDMA2000 (as used by Verizon) is an entirely different system, and the Air Interface is not what people dislike about CDMA2000!

You are correct however. CDMA2000 (the hint is in the name) is no older or newer than UMTS.

What is perhaps correct is that the number of GSM/UMTS networks and phones in use around the world totally dwarfs that of CDMA and as such, you could see it as "outdated" in the regard that it's a minority technology.

I'm a little biased being from the UK where we have 5 GSM/UMTS networks, but I think a CDMA iPhone would be a huge mistake.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Coverage is another issue and depends on city but it is a fact that AT&T has the fastest 3G in the country. Find a buddy with a Verizon phone, do a speed test, and be shocked on how slow it is.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
We should all live in Europe and be able to choose our carrier and have great service!

Only 2 things in that sentence are true.

(I'm only joking, its an Arrested Development joke and I couldn't resist)

Lindsey was talking to Michael about their mom

Lindsey "I think she really wanted me to have this dress, Sweet old thing"
Michael "Only two of those words describe mom"

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
So I have always wanted to make the leap from blackberry to iPhone...

BUT I refuse to switch until it goes to verizon...AT&T is terrible!!!

Until that magical day I have my iPad :)

Anyone in here waiting for some changes/fixes before they buy??

And i'll refuse to care if you buy an iPhone until.. well, forever. AKA No one cares.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
First of all this isn't a problem we can help with and this has been discussed Like 27 billion times so why is this still here. Sorry for the comment but I hate these threads. But I think they will do a verizon version next year when most carriers will use 4g witch is the same type of chip regardless of the carrier. So let's see if my mind will be correct because personaly I think a cmda or just a Como cmda/gsm will be bad, bulky and not as nice also 4g is the new thing so it won't be smart because too many won't buy it unless it has 4g.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
First of all this isn't a problem we can help with and this has been discussed Like 27 billion times so why is this still here. Sorry for the comment but I hate these threads. But I think they will do a verizon version next year when most carriers will use 4g witch is the same type of chip regardless of the carrier. So let's see if my mind will be correct because personaly I think a cmda or just a Como cmda/gsm will be bad, bulky and not as nice also 4g is the new thing so it won't be smart because too many won't buy it unless it has 4g.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
I have a US Cellular dumbphone and roam on Verizon's network, and I also have an iPhone. Looking at them, here at my desk, I have "No Service" with AT&T and two bars with Verizon. With no service, my 3G speed is zero, making Verizon win by default.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I have a US Cellular dumbphone and roam on Verizon's network, and I also have an iPhone. Looking at them, here at my desk, I have "No Service" with AT&T and two bars with Verizon. With no service, my 3G speed is zero, making Verizon win by default.

Congratulations!
I have AT&T. My GF has Verizon. We live in the same place. Sitting in bed, I have a very strong signal. She can't get any cell phone service.
All that proves is what the non-haters of BOTH companies have said...YMMV!
I am NO fan of AT&T...they bought out my old cell service provider which gave me excellent service.
But to assume that your service with Verizon will be fantastic is asinine. It truly DOES depend upon where you are.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Congratulations!
I have AT&T. My GF has Verizon. We live in the same place. Sitting in bed, I have a very strong signal. She can't get any cell phone service.
All that proves is what the non-haters of BOTH companies have said...YMMV!
I am NO fan of AT&T...they bought out my old cell service provider which gave me excellent service.
But to assume that your service with Verizon will be fantastic is asinine. It truly DOES depend upon where you are.

I know all about YMMV, since I've gotten the short end of it for most of my life, but people need to stop writing off AT&T as having terrific speed across 100% of the nation, and GSM as having terrific coverage over 100% of the world. It's simply incorrect.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
people need to stop writing off AT&T as having terrific speed across 100% of the nation, and GSM as having terrific coverage over 100% of the world. It's simply incorrect.
Agreed.
Similarly, people need to stop thinking about the iPhone coming to Verizon as being akin to the second coming of Christ...

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
So I have always wanted to make the leap from blackberry to iPhone...

BUT I refuse to switch until it goes to verizon...AT&T is terrible!!!

Until that magical day I have my iPad :)

Anyone in here waiting for some changes/fixes before they buy??

Holy Crap!!!

Thank you for your insight. Wow!!! A Verison iPhone I've never heard of that.

tigert07

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Seriously...

I can not wait for Verizon to get the iPhone. All these posts and rumors will go away. Then people can take their complaining to Verizon because it will be the same exact thing there in terms of data usage and networks. After that I can not imagine what could be worse in terms of annoyance here. :rolleyes:

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
I still don't see the gripe with AT&T, where I live(Louisville, KY) I get amazing service. It's also clear that they've been expanding it out here cause there are certain parts that I never got 3G coverage but now do.

I understand most of the gripe is with people in large populated areas, so I guess I can be thankful for that.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
You started a thread on Aug 20th that says "Should I Make The Switch To iPhone 4??"

then about an hour later you replied to a thread titled "my iPhone 4, its boreing me" and said

so after your Bye Bye, yesterday you start a new thread "Are You As Happy With iPhone 4 As You Thought You Would Be??"

and now today "I refuse to buy an iPhone until......"

Aug 19th

Aug 19th

I think you need make up your mind and get the phone that best works for your needs, take your own advice, and please stop using this forum as a dear diary.
dear_diary.gif

that was particularly well done. kudos.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

This is one reason why Apple makes an iPod Touch.

And just my opinion based on my past experience, but: ANY service you get under Verizon is far from a "win."

The bottom line is, companies like Apple, which are and aspire to be global, look at things globally. Granted, it's unfortunate that you don't get good GSM/UMTS service where you live, but globally about 3 billion users have access to it, compared to 0.6 billion for CDMA (only 0.1 billion of which have access to 1xEVDO).

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
This is one reason why Apple makes an iPod Touch.

And just my opinion based on my past experience, but: ANY service you get under Verizon is far from a "win."

The bottom line is, companies like Apple, which are and aspire to be global, look at things globally. Granted, it's unfortunate that you don't get good GSM/UMTS service where you live, but globally about 3 billion users have access to it, compared to 0.6 billion for CDMA (only 0.1 billion of which have access to 1xEVDO).

Does Apple really want 100,000,000 potential users upset with them? Let's figure 2% of those potential users become actual users, which I think is very conservative, and let's also assume that the $600 Apple charges for a 16GB iPhone 4 is what the final value to them is with the subsidy, that gives Apple an additional $1,200,000,000 per year in revenue, just for switching out a chip, not to mention they get their (arguably) flagship product in the hands of more users.

That figure is not including the 600,000,000 you cited receiving 2G or 2.5G CDMA service, which would make the same calculation $7,200,000,000. I'd rather have a 2G iPhone than a 2G dumbphone.

We'll see what happens on New Years.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I think that people talk too much crap about AT&T. It's really not that bad. I live in California, and I get really good reception here, I don't know how it is wherever you live. Since when did Verizon become like the god of cell phone reception? To me, they're roughly the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.