Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
It's really really really shiny.

Several of us were moving the lid, trying to lessen the glare. When we lowered it enough to avoid the room lights, it then reflected the keyboard. This thing is like a mirror.

It's much shinier than your average PC laptop. I also saw the Sony Z today and it was nowhere near as shiny.

I can only imagine using it in a darkened room. I would like to see what it looks like with an overlay because I need a Mac.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Firstly, there are plenty of other threads to post this in or get information about this. Next time please don't crowd the forum and post there.

Saying that, where did you see the new MBP? If it was in the apple store you saw it in the worse lighting conditions possible. I am not saying the glare isn't bad, just that you saw it at its worst (if at an Apple store).

Most people are saying that in normal lighting conditions the screen is bright enough to make the glare a non-issue or pretty close.

MacPM8

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Saw the new laptops in the store today. Personally I like the older MBPs, but not hating on the news ones, just not my taste kind of. Pretty cool trackpad tho!

zsft

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
Most people are saying that in normal lighting conditions the screen is bright enough to make the glare a non-issue or pretty close.

lol ur like stevie's pet.

an overlay might work...but personally i wouldn't be able to bring myself to putting adhesive on the screen of a laptop that expensive

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
In my opinion, I like the new glossy display a lot better. If you take it home, there will be a difference between the store. The store is a lot brighter and there are lots of things surrounding it which would be one of the causes.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
I read some posts here saying exactly the opposite i.e. it is less shiny than the early 2008 MBP

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Firstly, there are plenty of other threads to post this in or get information about this. Next time please don't crowd the forum and post there.

Saying that, where did you see the new MBP? If it was in the apple store you saw it in the worse lighting conditions possible. I am not saying the glare isn't bad, just that you saw it at its worst (if at an Apple store).

Wow, there sure are lots of grumpy people out here today. How is anyone crowding the forum? Lots of room... last time I looked. Besides, you replied, so who's taking the bait? When you point at others for starting a discussion, it only looks silly when you then continue the discussion. Of course I'm not sure, maybe you get to make the rules here...:confused:

Seriously, let the mods take care of things...

coogee

macrumors regular
May 28, 2007
I'd say lots of us use these things in offices, universities etc; don't know about your workplace but mine is sorely lacking on the 'tasteful soft lighting', it's just as badly lit as any Apple Store.

And outside in the daytime is woeful lighting, one big shiny light spewing rays all over.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
lol ur like stevie's pet.

an overlay might work...but personally i wouldn't be able to bring myself to putting adhesive on the screen of a laptop that expensive

Uh no. In fact this is my first Mac. I am only repeating what others have said in plenty of other threads (as well as reaffirmed in this one).

Wow, there sure are lots of grumpy people out here today. How is anyone crowding the forum? Lots of room... last time I looked. Besides, you replied, so who's taking the bait? When you point at others for starting a discussion, it only looks silly when you then continue the discussion. Of course I'm not sure, maybe you get to make the rules here...:confused:

It is not about taking the bait. I am only asking the OP to search before posting. Not only does that keep relevant threads at the top, it also provides one place for others to get the specific answer they need. I am not making rules. You are not understanding logic.

Have you been checking this forum routinely since last Thursday when the invite went out? If so, you would have noticed it has turned into a mess. There are about 10 different topics with 100s of post covering them. Wouldn't it be nice if we could see the ten topics (in ten threads) rather than sift through the first three pages trying to come up with comprehensive information? I don't expect to mods to keep up with the amount of repeat posts and stupid questions (not that this is one), because of the enormous volume.

I have done my part to try and make things easier on everyone.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
It is not about taking the bait. I am only asking the OP to search before posting. Not only does that keep relevant threads at the top, it also provides one place for others to get the specific answer they need. I am not making rules. You are not understanding logic.

Have you been checking this forum routinely since last Thursday when the invite went out? If so, you would have noticed it has turned into a mess. There are about 10 different topics with 100s of post covering them. Wouldn't it be nice if we could see the ten topics (in ten threads) rather than sift through the first three pages trying to come up with comprehensive information? I don't expect to mods to keep up with the amount of repeat posts and stupid questions (not that this is one), because of the enormous volume.

I have done my part to try and make things easier on everyone.

Well, I haven't exactly been living here, as I'm pretty good at sifting through threads I am interested in, and I can get in and out fairly quickly.

Sure, in an ideal world everyone would read all the archives, FAQs, and find the appropriate pre-existing thread to post in... but it ain't a perfect world. There's a lot of excitement, and it shows. Dumb threads will usually slip pretty far down the list pretty quickly.... unless you reply to them <hint>. And, at least for me, if I see a new topic that repeats 10 other topics I've already read... I'd just skip it. No point in jumping in and getting all bent that I can see. That's my logic.

I appreciate you trying to make things better for everyone. But I think you'd get more accomplished if you didn't add to the noise pollution on threads you have no use for. We wouldn't be having this discussion... but anyway, I think I made my point and I'm going to watch some meaningless TV. :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

"Normal" lighting conditions with a notebook, that's funny. Every time I go to Starbucks, I see people sitting outside with notebooks. When I covered soccer games, the sun was one SOB on me and made it hard to even see my matte screen.

If the GD sun is at your back, you really can't do much about it. Puh-leez stop it with this "well, if you put it at a 15-degree angle at 8 in the morning, it's really not so bad" defenses. If Apple is going to this all-glass glossy nonsense, they should at least offer an anti-glare coating or film that THEY put on. For free. I have never in my life seen a "glossy" screen that didn't cause some sort of glare issue (iPhone included), so despite my overall liking of the new MBPs, this all-glossy horse manure needs to stop.

guest8t88

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Saw the new laptops in the store today. Personally I like the older MBPs, but not hating on the news ones, just not my taste kind of. Pretty cool trackpad tho!

The tracepad is so sweet, loving it.
Only problem is the glossy screen, how annoying with the whole mirror effect.

spiff303

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
If it was in the apple store you saw it in the worse lighting conditions possible. I am not saying the glare isn't bad, just that you saw it at its worst (if at an Apple store).

:eek:

If a product is a designed in a way such that it appears unattractive or worse - unusable - in the vendor's own showroom (a space custom-designed to showcase products in the very best and most appealing way), then a cataclysmic 'elephant-in-the-room' scale design blunder has been made and implemented. I'm sorry, but I cannot get over the obviousness of this conclusion. No amount of jedi-mind-trick-spin or kool aid can wash this plain-as-day fact down a rational consumer's gullet.

Matte or bust (graphic designer).

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
The tracepad is so sweet, loving it.
Only problem is the glossy screen, how annoying with the whole mirror effect.

Thats a pretty HUGE problem that would dwarf your props there.
Seriously, what would you really prefer, a great trackpad and annoying screen or a great screen and an annoying trackpad (not that the last trackpads had anything wrong with them at all).

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton

dude, cmon, u just ripped the guy for making the post, and then asked him for his comments on his experiences. Since there are so many other posts on this topic, why didn't u post your question to another person in a previously started thread?

Also, i have been around these forums for several years, and i don't recall being asked to be a forum moderator, have u?

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
what does Jobs say about these mirror screen, I know that there are many times that the iMac screen is really annoying for it's mirroring properties.

and it obviously depending on situational circumstances but I wonder what is Jobs defense of this type of screen choice?

I think that there should be an option!

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
In the keynote the Apple-boys basically said w/ a notebook you have the ability to turn the thing away from the light. Get up and find a better place to sit/angle it.

The onus is on you not the screen...allegedly.

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
USA

THANK YOU! Someone who sees reason. I'm tired of people acting like mod-wannabe's

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
"Normal" lighting conditions with a notebook, that's funny. Every time I go to Starbucks, I see people sitting outside with notebooks. When I covered soccer games, the sun was one SOB on me and made it hard to even see my matte screen.

If the GD sun is at your back, you really can't do much about it. Puh-leez stop it with this "well, if you put it at a 15-degree angle at 8 in the morning, it's really not so bad" defenses. If Apple is going to this all-glass glossy nonsense, they should at least offer an anti-glare coating or film that THEY put on. For free. I have never in my life seen a "glossy" screen that didn't cause some sort of glare issue (iPhone included), so despite my overall liking of the new MBPs, this all-glossy horse manure needs to stop.

In my experience as well as multiple other testimonials, Apple glossy screens are at their worst in the type of lighting in the Apple store. If you read, I said that I am not saying it is not a problem, but he saw the glare at its worst (again from my and many other's experiences). That is all I was saying. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. And I have NEVER had a glare problem from my iPhone in the near year that I have owned it, in all kinds of lighting conditions. I have never had to turn it at a funny angle or manually increase the brightness (it is set fairly low) to see and use the screen.

You don't have to be a mod to ask people to use common sense and search. There is nothing wrong in that.

:eek:

If a product is a designed in a way such that it appears unattractive or worse - unusable - in the vendor's own showroom (a space custom-designed to showcase products in the very best and most appealing way), then a cataclysmic 'elephant-in-the-room' scale design blunder has been made and implemented. I'm sorry, but I cannot get over the obviousness of this conclusion. No amount of jedi-mind-trick-spin or kool aid can wash this plain-as-day fact down a rational consumer's gullet.

Matte or bust (graphic designer).

Go to a best buy or local college bookstore or a friend that has one and you will see what I am talking about. What is Apple's design? Clean. They could turn off all of the lights and all of the screens would look great but you wouldn't see the rest of the product. It is a balance between product (screen and case) and store look. Again, I am not some Apple fan boy, I am only repeating my experiences and the experiences of many others.

dude, cmon, u just ripped the guy for making the post, and then asked him for his comments on his experiences. Since there are so many other posts on this topic, why didn't u post your question to another person in a previously started thread?

Also, i have been around these forums for several years, and i don't recall being asked to be a forum moderator, have u?

Did you read my post? My question was specific to him. Was I supposed to go to another thread on the topic and say "Hi bushbaby! I know you haven't even posted in this thread and you may never even come here (btw I just love you) but here is this question"? It has nothing to do with being a forum moderator or your time here. There is a certain logic when using a forum that makes everything better. If everyone acted as the like the enforcement things would be easier and better. I have asked multiple people to search this forum and I haven't seen any reposts of questions from them since (and in some cases they have started asking people to search). You took my tone much harsher than it was meant.

You don't have to be a mod to ask people to use some simple common sense and logic and search.

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
You know, I'm usually good at using the old search function but with the machine being just days old, and me just getting to see it in person when so many here seem to be buying it online sight unseen, I thought I'd put out my thread.

Some guys here start their own "I just bought mine and here's what I think" without searching. Fine. I would never presume to do what you did and wag your finger unless someone really did something over the line.

But what really labels you as a weenie is your only other reason for posting was to say "most people are saying that in normal lighting conditions the screen is..." So you haven't even seen the new mbp but you're going to come on my thread and tell me what other people think of it? And toss in, next time don't crowd the forum?

Anyone with eyes is well aware of the bright lights in the Apple store, please. As well as the lights in a boardroom, an office, a college lecture hall.

And this screen is glassy like a mirror. I, unlike you, have seen it.

guest8t88

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Thats a pretty HUGE problem that would dwarf your props there.
Seriously, what would you really prefer, a great trackpad and annoying screen or a great screen and an annoying trackpad (not that the last trackpads had anything wrong with them at all).

I prefer workingcomfort, and you can just buy a screencoat with antiglare.
Problem soulved.
Now where is my 17"...

footnote: Believe me, if they just put the new mousepad in the current "old" 17" I would have bought one yesterday, even more based on recent testings of enchanced proformance.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If Apple wants to sell you an ultra shiny laptop, why don't they fix the lighting in their stores. Its bright enough with out having a bunch of laptops reflecting all of it. That's just bad marketing.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
"Shiny" is the new chrome - only good for old hot rods at an old cars convention, not for a working computer, where "shiny" means reflections and specular highlights and glare and glitz - not productivity. Especially since "shiny" is simply a cosmetic appeal. It's geared to consumers, or showcases, not to everyday working machines. And, it's not durable.

Make a "shiny" model for all the folks who want a play toy, and make a matte finish display, neutral gray, brushed gunmetal finish laptop that's durable as sh*t for the pros. Something that can take a scratch or ding or be tossed into a bag without babying it. No glossy finishes, please, either on the screen or the exterior of the unit. I wonder what a military spec Mac laptop would look like? I'm sure it would skip the illuminated logo as being an unnecessary, non-funtional feature. And it would have no "shiny" parts. That's the MBP I want. No prissy, jr. hi school toy stuff, please. Maybe we can call it the Macbook MS (Military Specification), or Milspec for short. Machine that sucker out of depleted uranium...!:D

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
As I said before, reflections are only a problem if you focus on them... If you don't you will not even see them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.