Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
That's how everyone reacted to my samsung note pro 12.2 a year before ipp was even born. now no one cares, and i rarely if ever use the wonderful pencil/stylo that actually comes with it, doesnt need to be charged and fits inside the tablet. so the thrill wears off.
Yes, it wasn't an iPad. Of course people were impressed on first demo then "meh" shortly thereafter.

That's how virtually all non-iPad tablets fare.

You can't apply iPad rules to non-iPads, nor non-iPad rules to iPads.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
I certainly see the iPad pro as a device that can impress and delight most people for a day... But how many people will be happy they spent $1000 on it a few weeks later when the novelty wears off? I really don't know...
Sure you do. Just look at the iPad customer satisfaction over the years. The iPad Pro is even better.

There's no basis to pose a worry concern hypothetical like that.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Sure you do. Just look at the iPad customer satisfaction over the years. The iPad Pro is even better.

There's no basis to pose a worry concern hypothetical like that.

I'm not worried or concerned, just stating the fact that novelty wears off. Many people will no doubt be satisfied with their iPad Pro for years to come. Others will get tired of it in a matter of weeks as they see it as nothing more than a bigger iPad.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I guess it's how one defines value. IMO the biggest improvements with the iPP are going to come from software. I don't think the software comes anywhere close to taxing the hardware right now. That's why I'm very excited to see what Apple has up its sleeve for iOS 10.

Totally agree.

To be honest, I'm a big fan of the iPP but have as yet to buy one because at the moment it is 'only' much faster, bigger and better looking than my lowly 16Gb iPad Air 1, which runs the apps I currently use fine and I'm still willing to settle for a 9.7" screen (which now seems too small in comparison). But, it's what the iPP 'will become' when iOS and 'pro' level apps catch up to it's hardware potential that will make it really stand out. That's when hold outs like me will happily jump in.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I thought it was pretty average, considering the price they are changing.
Average? Compared to all the other tablets in it's class? Right...
I know the IPP isn't cheap, however, maybe I'm in the minority that thinks the price was pretty reasonable - especially for Apple. Considering that an unlocked iPhone 6s Plus costs around $900, I don't find the price that exorbitant. I know others will. To me, it's all about how long something can last. I suspect the Pro can last me for quite a long time (at least 3-4 years). Considering I have to upgrade my phone every two and it costs almost the same price (unlocked), I think the value is decent. But value is always in the eye of the beholder.

The base model Pro costs 50 more than the base model 6s Plus, except it has twice the RAM, twice the storage, twice the graphics, better CPU, and a much higher resolution and larger screen.

I find it funny when people say the iPad Pro is overpriced yet they pay for every new iPhone and pay 100 dollars a month for service for it.

Reactions: Codeseven

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
I'm not worried or concerned
Of course you aren't. When you pose a question like that, you are trying to sow doubt where none exists.

just stating the fact that novelty wears off. Many people will no doubt be satisfied with their iPad Pro for years to come. Others will get tired of it in a matter of weeks as they see it as nothing more than a bigger iPad.

In other words, you said exactly nothing. But stated it in a tone of fear by stating only one side of the equation and only using negative and diminishing terms like "novelty" in an attempt to throw a wet towel on the OP's enthusiasm.

Some people will like it, some won't. Duh. It's a thing, all things are exactly like that.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Of course you aren't. When you pose a question like that, you are trying to sow doubt where none exists.

In other words, you said exactly nothing. But stated it in a tone of fear by stating only one side of the equation and only using negative and diminishing terms like "novelty" in an attempt to throw a wet towel on the OP's enthusiasm.

Some people will like it, some won't. Duh. It's a thing, all things are exactly like that.

Yes, all things are like that, that's sort of my point. Not trying to "sow fear" or be a wet towel. Others here have said far more negative things. I genuinely hope that the OP enjoys his purchase for many years to come, but we all know that the honeymoon period for any product ends eventually. I was just thinking out loud.

You don't have to be so defensive.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Sounds like you had an enjoyable Christmas. It's great to be around family and friends for the holidays.

Your non-techie family and friends may have loved the iPP, but I suspect that few/none of them would spend $1000 for one, especially if the focus is as a fun device.

What do you think a laptop is to the average non techie family/friend. Yet they push for an expensive laptop that all they will do on it is surf the net.

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
The iPad Pro is like a halo car. For example, the upcoming Acura NSX might get people into an Acura dealership to see it and play with it, then maybe they will walk away with a TLX or ILX. Audi, Lexus, and other car companies take a similar approach. The iPad Pro might drum up enough interest to get people into the Apple Store, where they might walk away with an iPad Air or Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.