I sometimes think that Apple and the Dev team are in this together.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nokaoi, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Nokaoi macrumors regular

I mean if apple did offer EVERYTHING cydia does. Then Jail-breaking would be irrelevant and so would the Dev team.:eek:

2. Norcalchavo macrumors regular

As long as Mr. Jobs is in the picture, this will never be true.

3. Nokaoi thread starter macrumors regular

How so?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt go that far that they're working together.
    Apple patches, devteam exploits.
    They wouldnt keep coming out with new firmware that patches JB and unlocking baseband holes if they were ok with JB and unlocking.

5. Norcalchavo macrumors regular

Well, seeing how anal and strict he is with keeping apple closed, one can make an educated guess that opening it up would jeopardize the standards set by apple and the steady money being made.

6. Nokaoi thread starter macrumors regular

But, they keep each other gainfully employed by having us the consumers watch and wait impatiently for who's going to take the next move. Apple would not be as exciting without the Dev team and vice versa.

Think about it for a minute.

7. Nokaoi thread starter macrumors regular

I think that more money can be made if Apple was to be a more open format. Also, if that happens will other smart phones be relevant? I mean as much as it pains me to say this. Android is catching up quick and if Apple continues to be full of itself. How long until Android is on top?

Don't get me wrong I love my iPhone 4. But, open it up Steve!! So one does not have to jailbreak it but, buy it as is!!

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Android isn't just catching up - there more Android phones than iPhones period. And they're being sold quicker than iPhones are being made. This is mostly because there are multiple manufacturers and carriers supporting the Android platform.

I'm positive it's Android that also forced Apple to add some of the things it did. I'm positive we wouldn't have MMS, copy/paste, multitasking, nor the Retina Display if it wasn't for Android. I'm hoping Android continues to force Apple to add features, like a proper notification system.

I do like a lot of the features that are available via jailbreak, but I hate how many of them are paid apps. There's no guarantee that one will always be able to jailbreak, nor is there any guarantee that the apps/tweaks will always be compatible w/ future software versions. For example, the "resupported" app may never come to iOS 4.0 according to the dev. Thankfully it was only $2, but still, it's essentially a wasted $2 now... So I have a hard time justifying spending money on cydia apps, especially the ones that are more than $5. + a lot of those feature are feature that Apple simply should've included in the first place. I understand the devs have to make money, but I also have to save money too :)

9. Nokaoi thread starter macrumors regular

You sir are correct! Android plus the Dev team pushes Apple to evolve! But, what if Apple opened up. Think how revolutionary that would be!! Think back to Jan 2007 when Steve announced the iPhone. Remember how exciting it was? It was the only smart phone that advanced! In order for Apple to pull that off again they have to give us what we want!!:eek:

Oh and yes I think that is ridiculous that some of the jail-broken apps aren't free.:mad:

10. Claude626 macrumors 6502

It would be revolutionary, beautiful, gorgeous, awesome, FANtastic, the BEST, the GREATEST, you've EVER experienced, gorgeous, beautiful, perfect, wonderful, extremely precise, cutting edge, world's first, revolutionary, beautiful, fantastic, exciting, perfect world you will have EVER experience. ;)

11. Nokaoi thread starter macrumors regular

Verbal swordplay!!:D

12. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Do you work for free?

13. Nokaoi thread starter macrumors regular

No. But, like the dude said:

"For example, the "resupported" app may never come to iOS 4.0 according to the dev. Thankfully it was only $2, but still, it's essentially a wasted $2 now... So I have a hard time justifying spending money on cydia apps, especially the ones that are more than $5. + a lot of those feature are feature that Apple simply should've included in the first place. I understand the devs have to make money, but I also have to save money too!"

And you are?:D

14. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

That's the risk people take when buying anything from a developer. I also find it hilarious that people who spend hundreds for a phone and almost $100 per month for charges worrying about 'wasting $2.00'. I spend the $2.00, use the product and get value from it. If it's maintained through new os releases, great. If not, I still got use of it, all for $2.00.

Whatever this means.:confused:

15. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

but then ios would turn into android

16. Nokaoi thread starter macrumors regular

Not really. I mean it would still be iOS just open!

17. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Apple is never offering unlocking in the US. Maybe if they went the MVNO route, but not with knucklehead companies like AT&T and their greed.

18. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Apple's lockdown of iOS is one of the main reasons the iPhone became the first smartphone purchased by the mass-market consumer. Apple (for better or worse) isn't likely to change that anytime soon.

And when it comes to jailbreak apps, if they're worth having, they're worth paying for.

19. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

The thing is Apple doesn't lose any money of JB...

The carriers alone would force Apple to patch any JB. If people knew about google voice they could bypass basically the whole voice plan and txt msg charge part of the plan + tethering.

Plus the 3rd party devs need to know Apple doesn't want there apps pirated.

But like I was saying, Apple itself doesn't have much to lose off JB, if anything it kicks up sales because people are able to get more money in order to purchase a new iPhone which why I think so far Apple hasn't been MS' Xbox Live tight on JB.

20. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

There are somethings in Cydia that Apple would never allow in the App Store *cough* like isteamy *cough*

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but Apple could be losing money with JB iphones not paying for appstore apps.

22. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

A negligible amount, I think.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly. Remember, jailbreaking exploits potential security holes in the iPhone OS. So every time they patch something up, the system becomes much more secure.

However, in retrospect, we loose by and by the ability to jailbreak.

25. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I hope you don't actually believe this. Every release there is less and less reason for most people to JB and there haven't really been any new 'WOW' apps on cydia in some time.

Plus SJ would probably try to choke the **** out of any of them if they were in the same room together.