Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
Hey Friends,

My wife loves the look of the gold apple watch, but could never justify spending 10k+ on one, so I gold plated her Stainless steel Milanese apple watch. Well, i actually plated 2! I was going to keep it, but I think i'm going to stick with my 42mm link when it finally arrives, so its hitting ebay. (apple won't accept the return)

Anyway, here are some pictures of the finished product:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
We own part of a motorcycle shop out here in LA, so I have access to the the equipment and chemicals required to do something like this. Wouldn't recommend trying it without some knowledge

I figured you had some experience. How much did the material cost, if you know?

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
The gold itself is probably worth about $60 as its an extremely thin plating, but the labor involved is where the costs lie.

Last edited:

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
That looks... pretty cool! Did you clear coat it or anything? Are you worried about chipping?

Kyone

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
We own part of a motorcycle shop out here in LA, so I have access to the the equipment and chemicals required to do something like this. Wouldn't recommend trying it without some knowledge

And your custom motorcycles are super cool too! Very nice job guys :cool:

claydoh

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
You could make some serious $$$ doing that for other people I think. I believe some people would pay a couple hundred to have it done and look that good. I don't know how many hours labor it took but there is money to be made there. I would consider doing it to my SS milanese.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
That looks... pretty cool! Did you clear coat it or anything? Are you worried about chipping?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but gold plating is an ion bonding of two metals, no clear coating required. But overtime, the gold plating can crack from corrosion if the surface is not taken care of.

I see a lot of car rims' chrome plating crack

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Too bad I dont like gold Jewelry because this turned out really nice...I def think better than 10,000K...You could make some serious coin doing this

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Nice photo of the wife as well LOL : >)....Judging by wrist size and mid drift I bet she is smoken wearing that gold

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
Thanks everyone! I'm very excited about how it turned out. I'll build a square space site this weekend and see what the interest is like. Does $499 seem reasonable for this service?

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
$400-500 seems about right? Not that I know anything about the process.

Any thoughts on longevity/resilience of the gold plating? How prone to chipping/scratching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.