I think Apple Gave Me A New 2011 MacBook Pro !!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badasschef, Mar 3, 2011.

1. badasschef macrumors newbie

I order my MacBook Pro on Thursday of last week when the release

I order 17" Anti-Glare 2.2GHz 8GB memory 500GB hard drive @7200rpm

I used my bank debit card the total came to $2700.94

Apple put the funds on hold ... It shipped out Sunday and i had it tuesday

Since then the hold had dropped and money is in my account

The bank told me since Apple didnt put the charge throw it dropped of

So has this ever happen before with you guys

Thanks

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

3. DryEyez macrumors 6502

wow, if you got it for free congrats ;o) one of the apple techys at their hq must have been tired and pressed the wrong button :p

4. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Apple is nearly broke; please pay for your purchase.

5. badasschef thread starter macrumors newbie

I did pay for my purchase but they never charged my card...

So what I should it's not my fault

6. badasschef thread starter macrumors newbie

I did but they never took the money from my account

7. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Yup, just joking with you.

Interesting moral dilemma... I'd suspect most people wouldn't say anything and wouldn't post about it in a forum :p

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's common. The first hold is done when they authorize the purchase. If the purchase isn't completed in a short time period, the authorization falls off. When the purchase is completed, it will show up again.

9. badasschef thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I agree this is my first time buying from Apple online ... So I wasn't sure if they charged before or after shipping ..

Because the money is still ******** in my account

10. hawse771 macrumors member

The same thing happened to me with an HP laptop from Conns, i waited monthsss for them to contact me and they never did so oh well free laptop. You would think it would raise some sort of red-flag, hell I work at a small company and we'd know at the end of the day if a charge didnt get processed correctly.

11. badasschef thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that I know it shipped last Sunday I had it since Tuesday and the money is still in my account ... It's Thursday now

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

13. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I wouldn't touch that money yet. I'm sure it will come up in one of their reconciliations soon. These companies have good checks and balances to catch these things so don't get too excited just yet.

14. badasschef thread starter macrumors newbie

True !! I called my bank they told me since they didn't put the charge throw the first time... The charge is now over they have to contact me to get the money since their is only a three day hold that they have to claim the money

My bank said they can't go into the bank and take the charge because it expire monday... Don't know if true but that is what Wells Fargo said to me

15. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

First off I would quit calling people about the situation...

Second, I would relish this moment...:D

In all honesty I had that happen to me once and then almost 5 days AFTER I had my MBP Apple took the money. I thought I was home free :(

16. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I'd give it a couple of weeks. I've had it where I thought I wasn't charged for something and then the charge hit when I wasn't expecting it. The last thing you want to do is spend money thinking you have it, only for Apple to charge you for the laptop.

If, at that time, there's still no charge - Merry X-Mas. Though I'd call Apple and tell them what happened just to be certain. That way at least you can say you did the right thing.

17. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

overrated :cool:

18. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Either your bank is full of crap or you are making all this up. When you ordered your laptop you agree to allow them to charge your card. They can charge your card anytime they want to (and they will, trust me) because they already have your permission to do so.

Ive ordered plenty of stuff online and have had this happen several times. They will figure it out and they will charge your card. Usually its within a week or so. Ive had a merchant charge my card two weeks after the purchase. Its their right to do so.

19. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

They can still charge you. I work for a bank. Charges can take more than 3 days all the time.

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

21. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

be honest. i run my life on karma. just because they are a major company it does not mean it is right to steal from them. even if it is there mistake you are still stealing the mbp. apple never had an agreement with you over a free macbook so im pretty sure even if they messed up and missed the money deadline you are still obligated to pay the bill.

plus if you contact them now about it who knows, they might have actually messed up, and they might give you a gift card or some type of compensation for being honest.

but if you run off with this easy win. you never know apple could figure it out and possibly sue you. but i doubt it :D

22. badasschef thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey first I didn't take anything ... I gave them my credit card info they put the money on hold and didn't take it and sent my computer

Tell me what I did wrong .. I dont think it my job to call Apple and tell them hey you screwed up and didn't charge me

If they come it the money good because I had the money in the first place ... But don't say you hope they double charge me, or Im stealing from apple ...

They had my card enough it's not my problem

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This whole discussion will be pointless in a few days, when the charge finally hits your account, as it will.

24. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

Honestly depending on what kind of person you are your going to do whatever you feel is best. you asked for our opinions and i gave you mine. in my eyes you ARE stealing from apple if you do not resolve this with apple. everyone makes mistakes. it doesnt mean you should screw apple out of 2k+ worth of computer.

but your going to do whatever you think is best just remember karma :)

and posting your "free" 2011 mbp on here is bound to get a few posts from angry people. apple has great customer service and do not deserve to get screwed out of money. even if they made the mistake.

25. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

It is if you do it while knowingly it is because a mistake was made. The honest thing to do is inquire with Apple. If you are knowingly receiving something you didn't pay for, but are obligated to, and only haven't paid due to a possible error, then it is stealing.

If they overcharged you, and they knew it (ie: double charged, accidently added a few hundred dollars etc.), and you didn't catch it, would you be fine if they didn't tell you because they figured it was 'your job to know'?