I think I know why Apple is suing Samsung

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tarzanman, May 16, 2011.

1. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

The more I think about it, the less I think that Apple's lawsuit against Samsung is really about getting them to stop selling their phones and their tablets and their media players

Apple is scared of Samsung not because of some half-resemblance their products have (how different are any touch-screen devices from one another anyway...)

The lawsuit is most likely a way from Apple to leverage a supply deal or cross-licensing agreement out of them.

Who has the technology on the most relevant, most recent next generation touch-screens and memory? Samsung does. Apple can't force Samsung to sell exclusively to them, and neither can Apple force Samsung to even sell most of these screens to them for iDevices.

What Apple might be able to do is license the technology and manufacturing process from Samsung and find their own factory to produce them. Obviously, Apple cannot do this without Samsung allowing it.

History is full of example of companies suing each other for millions of dollars, only to end up settling for cross-licensing deals that let both companies go about their business however they want.

This is what Apple is trying to do. It makes sense given Apple's announcement of a 3.9 billion dollar strategic investment back in January. That much money will buy you a foundry (or a controlling interest of one). I think Apple is out to try to produce the SAMOLEDs themselves without having to source it from Samsung.

Will it work? Not as things stand. I really don't see any competent judges levying an injunction on sales of Samgsung's phones/tablets/players, and without that, there is no financial incentive to give away the competitive advantage that Samsung is going to have over the next ~4 years or so.

It makes sense to me.

2. mark23 macrumors newbie

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Nice little fiction story you wrote there but let me know later on if/when you get any facts ;)

4. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you don't realize that Samsung is one of Apples largest customers, so why would they want to bite the hand that feeds them? If anything, it is my opinion that Samsung is simply responding to Apple's lawsuit in kind to save 'face' and I believe they will work things out behind 'closed doors' and that will be the end of it. Their business relationship is mutually beneficial and I doubt Apple want's to put Samsung out of business anymore then Samsung wants to sue Apple.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; ZTE-BLADE Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

What a proud, cocksure bunch you guys are. Its his opinion, why is it less valid than any of yours? Grow up, with your Snyde and sarcastic comments.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think the decisions world of big business is often too complex for any of us to understand. None of us know the details (and there will be lots), and that will probably not change.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Samsung Mobile is not the same as Samsung Mobile Display.

Think of it as many companies sharing the same name. They have about the same relation that Apple Computers and Apple Records has.

This lawsuit is all about protecting their IP - if a company doesn't protect their IP then this leads to other companies being able to use it.

(edit Samsung Mobile has to bid on SAMOLED screens just like Apple, LG, HTC.)

9. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Apple is just a little child compared to the huge Samsung's corporation.
    Apple depends on Samsung, not the other way around.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

LoL

That is too funny :D (and yet so true ;))

12. Tarzanman thread starter macrumors 65816

Business decisions are not really that complicated if you understand the rules. Its a big huge game where the most successful players are willing to bend the rules or even cheat in order to get an upper hand.

Apple (counter-)sued Nokia a year or so ago even know Apple knew damned well they hadn't kicked in royalties for a couple of patents that Nokia has on cell phone radio tech.

Why? To give Nokia an incentive to bargain with them because Nokia sued them when Apple wouldn't pay the licensing fees. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the tactic is going to work for Apple.

13. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

Apple doesnt's use AMOLEDs...

14. Tarzanman thread starter macrumors 65816

You have a poor understanding of how conglomerates work.

Sure, Samsung Mobile has to bid on them.... right up until one of the head-honchos from the parent company "suggests" that it might be in the best interests of the mobile display unit to give their sister company a good deal.... (unless the mobile display managers want to end up working as janitors or finding employment elsewhere).

Not for lack of trying. There has been a global shortage up until very recently and I will be good money that Apple will start as soon as they can secure enough of them for all their iPhones.

15. LoganT macrumors 68020

I think he's saying they're going to start...

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

And you seem to have a poor understanding of how chaebols work.

17. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Because his has no evidence to back it up. On the other hand Apple said they were suing about the phone... and the phone is clearly ripping off the iPhone's style... evidence.

18. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Touchwiz is a shameless ripo-ff of iOS' UI. Apple doesn't need an ulterior motive to sue Samsung.

19. Tarzanman, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

Tarzanman thread starter macrumors 65816

You don't know much about Apple. There was a thread on this forum discussing their 1990's lawsuit against Microsoft.

Apple sued because a program bundled with Windows was using code authored by Apple.

Microsoft asked over and over which code it was (so that they could remove it and make everyone happy).

However, Apple refused to disclose exactly which code it was because once Microsoft removed it, there would be no lawsuit (and no leverage to use against them).

How did things end? They settled. Microsoft ended up renewing their pledge to support MS Office applications on MacOS with complete, fully functional versions (which MS would have probably done anyway), and MS ended up investing 150 million dollars worth of Apple stock which gave them no voting rights (which MS would definitely would NOT have done).

Yeah, Apple would never do anything sneaky or underhanded. Oh, and Steve Jobs isn't a jerk either. lol

20. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Of course Apple would do something sneaky and underhanded, it's business with tons of money involved. Unfortunately that is how things work, it might not be right but that's how you survive at that level. If they do it well then good for them.

Steve Jobs is probably kind of a Jerk but that's ok. It's because Steve is how he is that we get these amazing products.

Apple is still suing them because the phone is a blatant rip off of the iPhone. Please take a look at the phone for proof.

P.S. 1990 was 21 years ago.

21. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Nothing I said has anything to do with that you just posted.

22. Tarzanman thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah it does. I bold-faced the portion of your post that I was responding to.

23. AdrianK macrumors 68020

No, it doesn't (I even bold-faced it for you ;)). What happened previously does not relate to anything that previously happened between MS and Apple.

If you blatantly rip off someone's product, you can sue their ass. Why people think that's somehow abnormal is beyond me.

24. Tarzanman thread starter macrumors 65816

Lol.

1. Yes it does relate. Establishes a pattern of behavior. Those who don't know history....etc.
    2. Maybe you should read your own posts for logic (check the bold)

I am going to start charging you money if I have to keep schooling you all the time.