I think I'm gonna go caseless

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Parrotlet, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Parrotlet macrumors member

I usually hate cases. I don't get the point of preventing a scratch on a device that will be replaced in a few years anyway and by covering it you are completely blocking what you wanted to prevent getting scratched anyway.

However I got my iphone 4 yesturday and I am wondering how resilient this thing will be if I drop it or if the case will help with reception.

The iphone 4 without the case just looks too sexy

2. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I've seen pictures posted of iPhone 4's smashed all over from a drop onto something like concrete. I personally use the Griffin Reveal and have Squaretrade just incase some awful mishap causes me to wreck my iPhone.:eek:

3. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

Do you walk around with a condom on when you leave to work? no, so why torture your phone that way... excellent choice

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

NOT mine, but both posted on the thread right above this one...:D

Attached Files:

5. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

All I have to say is...BE CAREFUL!
    The iPhone 4 is a sexy little toy but be conscious of where your phone is at all times. Be prepared to replace it if you accidentally drop it.
    But, enjoy your naked iPhone! That's the way it was degisned to be used. :)

6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I would if there was a risk of that body part breaking....

poor analogy....

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I know people who cracked the iPhone from just a small drop but a friend of mine dropped his at least 5 feet and the iPhone was fine. I think the iPhone is pretty resilient but even one small drop the wrong way can break it. That's just how it is with glass.

8. Mac. macrumors 6502

I only use my bumper for the gym, so the phone doesn't slip out of my tracksuit while benching etc... Naked all other times!

Just don't do anything stupid - like putting it in the same pocket as money, or keys and you'll be fine.

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Here's mine in a very minimal case. About an 18 inch drop.
    [​IMG]

I have an otterbox now.

If you have a glass phone (which you do), expect to pay for new glass from time to time if you decide to go bareback (or minimally protected).

10. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

I am caseless with power support screen protectors front and back. I love it

11. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

i'd recommend atleast use a front and back screen protector. I use matte ones.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I can attest to the protection offered by the Otterbox case. While out jogging my phone fell because I did not have it properly attached to my belt (the phone and holster both fell). This happened while I was crossing a busy road and there was a car coming. I gave the phone a kick to send it onto the shoulder where I could safely pick it up.

After retrieving my phone from the shoulder, and inspecting it for damage, I found that neither my phone nor the Otterbox case had suffered any damage at all. Not even a scratch on the Otterbox case.

They do work.

To the OP, be very careful they are glass front and back, as has already been pointed out here they do break.

13. Zcott macrumors 68020

Caseless, screen protectorless and scratchless. I'm just careful.

14. gnychis macrumors 6502

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I think cases are pointless. I'm using monoprice whole body shield and that's it.

Sure it can break, but I'd rather try to be careful as I've done with every other phone than walk around with a bulky case.

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

don't have it on, but always have one with me. you never know when you need it ;)

17. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

eh?

Let me ask this: do you wear a helmet when you ride your bike/motorcycle etc?

:eek:

18. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Agreed. I had a SwitchEasy NUDE case for my original iPhone. I'd dropped it many times without causing any issues until yesterday, when it fell on the asphalt face down. Cracked front screen. The protection film did not help.

I've decided to go caseless with my replaced unit. I figured that when the glass breaks, it will break no matter which case you've got. :)

19. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

A better analogy would be, do you use a condom when having sex with someone of unknown sexual history? You don't have a 100% chance of contracting a STI if you don't use a condom--just like you don't have a 100% chance of dropping the iphone sans case.
    If you're willing to take the risk, that's your prerogative. On the other hand, I'm not willing to take that chance.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I use Otterbox myself when I'm out on the road working. It really does provide the best protection I've seen thus far, but it also makes the iPhone 4 look twice it's size. When I'm not working, it's naked all the way.

21. Parrotlet thread starter macrumors member

Went to the AT&T store today to look for cases. They are all hideous, I mean who the hell desings those things.

I just don't know

22. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

So true, Im caseless on all my iDevices!

23. Parrotlet thread starter macrumors member

Thats hot

24. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Go naked.

25. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I use the defender for sports and the commuter for daily use. It's not very large at all, and provides good protection.