Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nnicot

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
It just makes sense. The A10x processors should be fast enough, and it would increase the functionality dramatically. Perhaps they can have a iOS mode that you can switch between.

Reactions: sonicrobby

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
only if they allow an option of having ONLY iOS as well; which i doubt either will happen.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Its powerful enough to Run MacOS now...the iPad Pros are more then capable! I really want a mixture between the two..like spaces and that sort of thing. Maybe an even better multitasking experience!!!

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
i like the IOS just as it is. i would like a general filing system rather than an app dependant and individual method, but thats another story. i'd also like exact replica desk top software in IOS too, but again, thats another story as well.

if you're all so eager for an ipad to have OSX, why not just buy a laptop? some of the new slimline laptops are so close in size, shape and form to an ipad it's uncanny.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
"We did spend a great deal of time looking at this a number of years ago and came to the conclusion that to make the best personal computer, you can't try to turn MacOS into an iPhone," Schiller says. "Conversely, you can't turn iOS into a Mac.... So each one is best at what they're meant to be -- and we take what makes sense to add from each, but without fundamentally changing them so they're compromised."

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
i like the IOS just as it is. i would like a general filing system rather than an app dependant and individual method, but thats another story. i'd also like exact replica desk top software in IOS too, but again, thats another story as well.

if you're all so eager for an ipad to have OSX, why not just buy a laptop? some of the new slimline laptops are so close in size, shape and form to an ipad it's uncanny.
I agree. I just need a few tweaks to iOS itself and for the apps that I rely on to be updated with enhanced functionality.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
I agree. I just need a few tweaks to iOS itself and for the apps that I rely on to be updated with enhanced functionality.

The only thing I wish is for a direct access file system. Like file --- save as --- chose location or sub folder. To me saving as app dependent is a silly idea. Does apple think people are too stupid to know where they are saving things? Just open the whole documents directory and allow us to save anywhere we want and in whatever sub folder we want. It's possible in iCloud now but in a round about way. You have to share --- open in another app --- send to iCloud --- chose folder. It's a silly way to do it as you aren't really opening it in another app, just saving the file. And some people don't know where to find that option.

Everything else I don't care what OS it is as long as I can navigate to the apps and open them. I really like the side bar for playing music while working in another app and have it out of the way. And split screen works ok except I wish you could drag and drop type of thing. Everything else is fine for me in iOS.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I think we'll see a Mac of some form running iOS before we see an iPad running iOS.

My opinion, but I think Apple feels that iOS is their OS for the future / long term.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The only thing I wish is for a direct access file system. Like file --- save as --- chose location or sub folder. To me saving as app dependent is a silly idea. Does apple think people are too stupid to know where they are saving things? Just open the whole documents directory and allow us to save anywhere we want and in whatever sub folder we want. It's possible in iCloud now but in a round about way. You have to share --- open in another app --- send to iCloud --- chose folder. It's a silly way to do it as you aren't really opening it in another app, just saving the file. And some people don't know where to find that option.

Everything else I don't care what OS it is as long as I can navigate to the apps and open them. I really like the side bar for playing music while working in another app and have it out of the way. And split screen works ok except I wish you could drag and drop type of thing. Everything else is fine for me in iOS.

The functionality is there now in iOS (and has been for some time) to implement direct saves to any provider (including iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc), but it's up to apps to implement it.

For example, I can save a word document to my documents folder on my Mac and then open it directly in Word from iCloud Drive and any changes I make go back to iCloud automatically and back to my Mac

Apple are never going to give shared access to the in-built iPad storage as it would break sandboxing but if you use iCloud Drive as your documents location it pretty much achieves the same thing

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The functionality is there now in iOS (and has been for some time) to implement direct saves to any provider (including iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc), but it's up to apps to implement it.

For example, I can save a word document to my documents folder on my Mac and then open it directly in Word from iCloud Drive and any changes I make go back to iCloud automatically and back to my Mac

Apple are never going to give shared access to the in-built iPad storage as it would break sandboxing but if you use iCloud Drive as your documents location it pretty much achieves the same thing

Agreed, kind of sucks that it took so long to get here, but it's nice having iCloud drive in addition to the extensions that came in iOS 8.

The only pain point right now is when saving an item to iCloud Drive, it shows a view with every directory (including all nested folders) being fully expanded. When you have a lot of items in iCloud Drive it's near impossible to scroll and find where you want to save.

Reactions: LCPepper

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Without any useful ports on the iPads? Nah. The germaphobe in me disagrees.

I don't always want to use touchscreen at everything I do like typing or browsing the web. Less touching glass displays, less smudges. I am checking my laptop next to a couple of my phones right now in certain lighting. All my phones are fingerprint magnets whether they have screen protection or not. Look at all iPhone threads. Birth of OCDness like having dust under the display or a tiny scratch wherever. I haven't cleaned my laptop since I first got it 8 days ago and it still looks new. Not the best or sharpest display in the world with the best viewing angles but it looks clean thanks to non-touchscreen and the clamshell form factor to protect it when closed. I also like how laptops don't need a kickstand to view content. Leave Mac OS alone with non-touch.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada

I know the functionality is there that's why I mentioned it. I'd just prefer to see it under file save as instead of in share then open in another app then send to iCloud then navigate to the directory. Makes more sense to put it in the 'file' menu. I think the apps can't do it because of limitations apple has placed. I have not seen one single app have save to chosen location in iCloud under the save menu. It will save to iCloud using the file save menu but it only puts it in the app's own folder. (No biggie as you can still move it with iCloud Drive app - which might actually be faster than navigating all through the share, open in a different app way. I am using mobile office suite pro by mobi systems (full paid) and that's how it saves. I also tried several others including sound recording apps etc and they all use that long complicated way.

And what do u mean by sand boxing? Apple could easily create a user folder on the drive while still blocking root access. In fact there is an app ifile that allows you to save and move files around on the local storage. I assume in its own directory but it does allow sub folders etc. There's no reason why a general access user folder similar to the user folder in OSX can't be implemented in iOS.

sirexilor

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2016
EU
After Xcode runs fully on iOS, MacOS will die away and after that it's mobility only. Really, is there any other reason why MacOS is still around other than xcode?

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
Without any useful ports on the iPads? Nah. The germaphobe in me disagrees.

I don't always want to use touchscreen at everything I do like typing or browsing the web. Less touching glass displays, less smudges. I am checking my laptop next to a couple of my phones right now in certain lighting. All my phones are fingerprint magnets whether they have screen protection or not. Look at all iPhone threads. Birth of OCDness like having dust under the display or a tiny scratch wherever. I haven't cleaned my laptop since I first got it 8 days ago and it still looks new. Not the best or sharpest display in the world with the best viewing angles but it looks clean thanks to non-touchscreen and the clamshell form factor to protect it when closed. I also like how laptops don't need a kickstand to view content. Leave Mac OS alone with non-touch.
you keep using "germaphobe". i don't think it means what you think it means; unless you're applying some antibacterial substance to your keyboard and mouse that keeps the germs away

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
It just makes sense. The A10x processors should be fast enough, and it would increase the functionality dramatically. Perhaps they can have a iOS mode that you can switch between.

Switch between? Like Boot Camp? That might satisfy those who don't currently use iPads ("I have no use for an iPad, I just want a touchscreen Mac."), but those who do use iPads could find that a frustrating experience.

I think a MacOS-capable iPad has to run more like Parallels or Fusion - iOS and Mac apps side by side, fully integrated. That probably takes a bit of extra overhead.

Since Apple is very unlikely to break iOS security... what needs to be done to sandbox the Mac apps? Could the entire MacOS session be sandboxed?

I think we're more likely to see Macs with touch screens than iOS devices running MacOS sessions. iOS apps can be run in a multi-windowed environment on a larger screen far more easily than the Mac UI can be run on a display smaller than 11 inches.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I know the functionality is there that's why I mentioned it. I'd just prefer to see it under file save as instead of in share then open in another app then send to iCloud then navigate to the directory. Makes more sense to put it in the 'file' menu. I think the apps can't do it because of limitations apple has placed. I have not seen one single app have save to chosen location in iCloud under the save menu. It will save to iCloud using the file save menu but it only puts it in the app's own folder. (No biggie as you can still move it with iCloud Drive app - which might actually be faster than navigating all through the share, open in a different app way. I am using mobile office suite pro by mobi systems (full paid) and that's how it saves. I also tried several others including sound recording apps etc and they all use that long complicated way.

And what do u mean by sand boxing? Apple could easily create a user folder on the drive while still blocking root access. In fact there is an app ifile that allows you to save and move files around on the local storage. I assume in its own directory but it does allow sub folders etc. There's no reason why a general access user folder similar to the user folder in OSX can't be implemented in iOS.

Microsoft Office apps do it - when you create a new document and save it, you can select iCloud Drive directly in the Save As dialog. You can also save a copy of an opened file to anywhere (including iCloud Drive)

Sandboxing basically means every app sees a "full" directory structure but the root of the directory structure is their installation folder: There's simply no way for them to view folders outside their own structure.

For example, you may have App 1 with subfolders Folder 1 and Folder 2, and App 2 with Subfolders Folder 3 and Folder 4, there's no way for App 1 to view the folders Folder 3 and Folder 4 - as far as it is concerned, they simply don't exist!

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Microsoft Office apps do it - when you create a new document and save it, you can select iCloud Drive directly in the Save As dialog. You can also save a copy of an opened file to anywhere (including iCloud Drive)

Sandboxing basically means every app sees a "full" directory structure but the root of the directory structure is their installation folder: There's simply no way for them to view folders outside their own structure.

For example, you may have App 1 with subfolders Folder 1 and Folder 2, and App 2 with Subfolders Folder 3 and Folder 4, there's no way for App 1 to view the folders Folder 3 and Folder 4 - as far as it is concerned, they simply don't exist!

Ahhh but there's no reason they can't create a user folder and allow access to that folder by any app as well as create sub folders, without affecting security of the rest of the system. If they can do it on iCloud why not iOS? They could still block off system files from user access.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Ahhh but there's no reason they can't create a user folder and allow access to that folder by any app as well as create sub folders, without affecting security of the rest of the system. If they can do it on iCloud why not iOS? They could still block off system files from user access.

You can do it now with apps such as Documents that implement the necessary APIs and provide local storage that can be shared between multiple apps

Luuthian

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
I imagine part of the problem is the processors are very different and we have no idea how optimized macOS would be for an iPad. If Apple won't put in the work to make it happen, it'll never happen.

The iPad pro is getting better at content creation though. Unless you need very specific PC programs or require the ability to code things, the Pro can cover a lot of use cases now. It'll always be hampered by some things but it's the perfect "laptop" for most.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You can do it now with apps such as Documents that implement the necessary APIs and provide local storage that can be shared between multiple apps
Is that truly the case? The last time I tried Documents (2 months ago), it was "ok" for read-access but was a total kludge when trying to use it in allowing more than one app to update a file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.