Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
spicyapple said:
What about our sexual orientation?

Straight, Gay, Bi-Sexual (S,G,B) -- could potentially ward off embarrassing moments of flirtation among MR members. (or make it easier for hook-ups ;))

What about other aspects of this activity, such as Missionary, or doggy..

I don't think any of this needs to be on this board, as Macs are gender neutral, and all discussions about them should also be. Cultural biases should not encroach on legitimate intellectual discussions..

Max... or is it Maxine???

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I'd like to throw my support in for the option to display your sex; it could help members get to know each other a little better.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I just naturally assume you're all polymorphic aliens. If you happen to have a Demi-godess title or list somewhere in your sig what gender you are, that's fine too. If you're a dude calling yourself Mary Kate, or you'd have to answer other, none of my business. Ain't my place to ask. There was a member I thought was a gay male and turned out to be a bi-female, but that didn't really change any of our conversations.

I always did wonder about Lacero, but felt he/she deserved their privacy. Apparently not everyone agreed with that. Probably why they left.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
rockthecasbah said:
i think it's a great idea to include the gender. It doesn't have to be what you actually are (of course nobody likes a liar) but for clarification purposes it makes things less confusing. The idea isn't to actually help identify someone in real life but how to address them in the forum. Furthermore, if you don't want to fill it out, don't. But for the rest of us it's helpful to know what pronoun to use among other things ;)

For clarificarion purposes maybe (someone recently made a incorrect asumption), but in general I dont think its a good idea, im here to read up about the mac, and learn more about the mac, if in the process I learn more about fellow mac users that will be great, but its not a essential.

If I wanted to interact on a physical social level with other MR members I would, and even if I want to interact that way I will keep it related to the mac, I dont need a forum to find a date.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I don't think that having gender as an option in one's profile is a bad thing, though I think that adding it to the member's displayed info may be going a bit far.

:rolleyes:

On the other hand, I do believe that we should not add sex (as in how much) to the member's profiles. Considering the issues we currently see with post counts I think this would promote far to much promiscuity... specially with some of our younger members. :eek:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
vniow said:
I counted four on my part so far in just the past few months.

So count me as another one who doesn't think this is such a good idea. ;)

Completely with ya v. This is an online community - not a dating website. If you're that worried about offending women/men by using gender specific psts or words, just think before you type! Tho' that should be a general rule of thumb anyway...:eek: :rolleyes:

Plus it does seem to be the male members of the forum promoting this idea. Even tho' I'm male, I'm still suspicious of motives here...

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Forgive me for one rare indulgence in forum digging, but this idea is totally pointless. The arguments For the inclusion are so weak that the only way to respond in a contrary position is through a deluge of gut-rupturing sarcasm; and seeing there are plenty of people round here more capable than I of delivering the required sarcastic dose I will now back away and cast my vote by simply expanding my bottom lip forwards with a forced thrust of my tongue.

;)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
How would knowing someone's sex alter how I address them or reply to a posting? I needn't use 'Sir' or 'Madam' and I needn't pepper my words with sweet nothings because I believe a sweet female is out of her depth. I don't see how knowing a poster's sex is any more useful (or even interesting) than knowing their blood type. Why was this suggested anyway?

I should have added: can anyone guess my sex?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
yellow said:
Loner horndogs who wanna meet chicks someplace other than the intellectual void that is myspace?
Haha, I can imagine that statement causing great indignation to some MRers already... :D and they scoff while switching from MySpace to FaceBook. :p

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
yellow said:
Loner horndogs who wanna meet chicks someplace other than the intellectual void that is myspace?

Being a bit past it, I had to do a search on 'horndog'. Wow! I can't believe how many words now start with 'horn-'!

'Horngasm' is one I will try to use in conversation from now on. But how?

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Lollypop said:
If I wanted to interact on a physical social level with other MR members I would, and even if I want to interact that way I will keep it related to the mac, I dont need a forum to find a date.
I agree with this point and that was what i was trying to say. For social networking it's pointless and i wouldn't want it, but if it can tell me how someone wants to be addressed then i think it's fine. Obviously there is no way to make it one way without the other, but i still think it is a good idea.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
rockthecasbah said:
if it can tell me how someone wants to be addressed then i think it's fine.

Meaning what exactly? You mean some people might want to be addressed with gender-specific titles? Within the anonymity of online posting? I think not.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Savage Henry said:
I will now back away and cast my vote by simply expanding my bottom lip forwards with a forced thrust of my tongue.

I blame you for 5 minutes of lost productivity at work just now.

... and I still can't do it.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Savage Henry said:
Forgive me for one rare indulgence in forum digging, but this idea is totally pointless. The arguments For the inclusion are so weak that the only way to respond in a contrary position is through a deluge of gut-rupturing sarcasm; and seeing there are plenty of people round here more capable than I of delivering the required sarcastic dose I will now back away and cast my vote by simply expanding my bottom lip forwards with a forced thrust of my tongue.

;)
Of all the versatility and vicissitude you seem to possess and display, I would never have suspected you use chewing tobacco. :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
MrSmith said:
Meaning what exactly? You mean some people might want to be addressed with gender-specific titles? Within the anonymity of online posting? I think not.
Sometimes it's awkward when you don't know which pronoun to use. For example, you might be posting the message "I bought a PowerBook from (membername) and he sent it very promptly" and wondering if you should use "he" or "she". But you can always guess or find ways to reword it, and it's at most a small inconvenience.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
yellow said:
You bring up a good point.

I can't wait for the next generation of MR member to show up after this is done...

FBI agents sitting in front of their Windows PC, pretending to be young female Mac users.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Doctor Q said:
But you can always guess or find ways to reword it, and it's at most a small inconvenience.
Indeed. Or if the person in question really minds, then he/she can just clarify at that point. Or, if he/she really cares, then he/she can contribute and gain the demi-title...

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Doctor Q said:
Sometimes it's awkward when you don't know which pronoun to use. For example, you might be posting the message "I bought a PowerBook from (membername) and he sent it very promptly" and wondering if you should use "he" or "she". But you can always guess or find ways to reword it, and it's at most a small inconvenience.
To avoid that confusion, I'm thinking of changing my membername to "hemw".

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There is an easy solution to this, every user name will have either Mr or Mrs so we can tell everyone apart.:rolleyes:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Doctor Q said:

Couldn't you just check the name on the cheque (or something like that) and then you'd know what gender the person was? Maybe all MacRumor members pay in non-traceable banker bonds!:p

Anyway - as stated before my countless millions, this thread has had way too much mileage. Let's not kid ourselves its got anything to do with pronouns. Gee I don't like being pedantik.

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
If they do that then all the nerds here will bother all the women. Unless the girls say they are girls, it should be kept secret. You can tell when guys are talking to women. They are all nice and not so nerdy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.