Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
devilot said:
Indeed. Or if the person in question really minds, then he/she can just clarify at that point. Or, if he/she really cares, then he/she can contribute and gain the demi-title...

Im surprised that the demi thing hasnt come up more often... :rolleyes:

Its not really that easy to be gender neutral btw... but like I sayd, MR isnt about gender for me, its about the mac.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
vniow said:
PM from last week.
I wouldn't call that nerdy. There are a lot of things I could call that, but nerdy would not be one of them. I'm sure you are teh qute roxrs though, or whatever the kids are saying these days.

And I think he would work as a pejorative if the sex is unknown, as in English speech masculine is the grammatically correct default noun class.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
devilot said:
Indeed. Or if the person in question really minds, then he/she can just clarify at that point. Or, if he/she really cares, then he/she can contribute and gain the demi-title...

Is there a way to become a contributor and have a demi- title without having to specify your gender? (e.g. demi-deity, demi-being or demi-tomato)

After all, it's not relevant to your use of the site, and some people do like to maintain a little mystery.

Amost everyone on in this thread advocating a gender listing agreeds that it should be optional, yet by simply giving some money to this site, becoming a contributor and a demi-, MR seems to demand that you declare to all your chosen gender.

-RedTomato

PS If you really want to declare your gender as a MR member (not contributor), why not put it in the location section of your profile? It'll appear next to all your posts.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
If you contribute, you also have the option to have the title 'Contributor' or even to keep your processor ranking, so there is no obligation to disclose your gender.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Kernow said:
If you contribute, you also have the option to have the title 'Contributor' or even to keep your processor ranking, so there is no obligation to disclose your gender.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

PS I'm also from Kernow (Penzance area) :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
RedTomato said:
PS If you really want to declare your gender as a MR member (not contributor), why not put it in the location section of your profile? It'll appear next to all your posts.
That's a great idea.

So to those few of you out there, who are dying for everyone on MR to know your gender, this fruit/vegetable just told ya how. :p :D

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
ReanimationLP said:
Nevermind.

Seriously. I've never been so humiliated in my entire life.

I make one simple suggestion and everyone ridicules me.

Now I look like a fracking pervert or something.

I have no intention of hitting on anyone here.

This just goes to show me never to suggest anything to you people again. Geez.

ReanimationLP,

I know how you feel. Some go overboard.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
ReanimationLP said:
Nevermind.

Seriously. I've never been so humiliated in my entire life.
Darn, we have been neglecting you if this is the worst humiliation you've had in your life. :(

If you get together with a few MR members and get extremely drunk, I'm sure they can do worse and post the pics for the rest of us to get in on the fun. :cool:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
imacintel said:
ReanimationLP,

I know how you feel. Some go overboard.
Sometimes we post what at the time seemed like a good idea but then we think about it and it wasn't quite a good idea or others think it for you, We have all done it at one point or another.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Sun Baked said:
Darn, we have been neglecting you if this is the worst humiliation you've had in your life. :(

If you get together with a few MR members and get extremely drunk, I'm sure they can do worse and post the pics for the rest of us to get in on the fun. :cool:

Indeed, the damage could be extreme.

Of course, you're the only one who hasn't suffered any humiliation on MR, aren't you?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
bousozoku said:
Of course, you're the only one who hasn't suffered any humiliation on MR, aren't you?
Yes ... I'm quite capable of doing worse offline.

Didn't want to seen on MacRumors wearing a bikini, ugly dress, become a gorilla in a tutu, etc.

Of course going to a local MacRumors beer bash, the possibility of these silly photos being taken without the use of Photoshop increase dramatically after you pass out.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
what is this friendster?

What is this friendster or such thing? Then we post pics of ourselves. Give ratings to each other, choose friends, make groups, exclude some, create a hierarchy of dominance, when will the insanity end!!

I feel so much better now.:p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
fblack said:
What is this friendster or such thing? Then we post pics of ourselves. Give ratings to each other, choose friends, make groups, exclude some, create a hierarchy of dominance, when will the insanity end!!

I feel so much better now.:p

We already do that, but it's not supported by the forum software. :D :p

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
maxvamp said:
Macs are gender neutral, and all discussions about them should also be.
No! My Mac is certainly not gender neutral! I've got an iMac and he's my friend; he is definitely male. The Mac I had before this one was also decidedly male. In fact, come to think of it, all Macs ever released are male. Well, except for maybe the 12" iBook. But all currently shipping Macs are male, I can assure you. And anybody suggesting otherwise is just plain wrong!

:p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Bengt77 said:
No! My Mac is certainly not gender neutral! I've got an iMac and he's my friend; he is definitely male. The Mac I had before this one was also decidedly male. In fact, come to think of it, all Macs ever released are male. Well, except for maybe the 12" iBook. But all currently shipping Macs are male, I can assure you. And anybody suggesting otherwise is just plain wrong!

:p

Why do they all have so many female parts if they're male? Check your computer's ports please. The only male parts are on the power adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.