I want an iPhone in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pointer, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Pointer macrumors regular

Hi guys,

So I was all about buying an iPod touch until last week's announcement of the iPhone being released in the UK on November 9th and now I am unsure of the best way for me to proceed. My options and thoughts are as follows:

The 16gb iPod touch is £259 in the UK. The iPhone is going to be £269. I am currently with O2 on a £35 a month, 18 month contract that has been running for 6 months. I love the thought of having unlimited data and ability to surf the net whereever I am on Edge/GPRS and so I want to get an iPhone rather than an iPod touch. I lose 8gb of storage space but hey I can live with that.

The problem is that as I understand it at the minute O2 are saying that existing customers within their contract are not able to "upgrade" to the iPhone at this current time although that may change nearer to/after release. How this question has not been officially addressed on the O2 website is beyond me, yes it says that "existing customers" can keep their number but it doesn't mention contracts. To me, if I am spending £269 on a phone then I am not "upgrading", I am changing my phone.

So my options are as follows:

1) Keep my fingers crossed that O2 will let me buy an iPhone on November 9th and change my current contract to a "special" (rubbish) iPhone contract. I would prefer to go with this option.

2) Get my sister to buy me an iPhone from the USA when she goes out there next month. The advantage to this option is that it is cheaper (but only slightly), I can keep my current contract with O2 which has more minutes and texts than the iPhone ones (but no unlimited data currently) and when my contract with O2 runs out I can go on a cheaper contract and keep the lovely iPhone.

The disadvantage to this option is that I have no comeback if the iPhone develops a problem as it would be purchased in the USA and it would be hacked. The other disadvantage is that I would have to hack it, would I get the lovely wi-fi itunes store? I doubt it. I would have to worry about the hack being broken every time the firmware was updated too.

3) The third option is to simply buy a 16gb iPod touch. I would prefer not to do this as lovely as the touch is I would constantly be annoyed that I didn't have the email and web surfing abilities away from a wifi hotspot. The only advantage to this option is that I could use it as a stop gap for a year or so until a larger capacity iPhone came out (hopefully with 3G), but then it is only £10 more for an iPhone and whilst I would be losing 8gb of storage I would be gaining a camera, a phone, a dock, a wall charger and internet in my pocket!

Any thoughts on my predicament? I am amazed that nobody asked the O2 Chief Executive at the launch event about whether an exisiting customer of O2 would be able to buy the iPhone if they were within their contract. I would be equally amazed if come November 9th O2 don't let their customers do this. Apple would lose out on thousands of sales. But the word coming out of the O2 call centres at the minute is that no, you won't be able to. Anybody got the CEO's email address so I can drop him a quick email? ;)

SEE PAGE 3 FOR A REPLY FROM MATTHEW KEY (CEO OF O2) ON THIS SUBJECT

2. Pointer thread starter macrumors regular

Well I found an email address for Matthew Key, CEO of O2, so I dropped him a quick email. I will of course post again if I hear anything back!

3. cookiemoose macrumors member

1) Unlikely they will allow this. Apple take a huge chunk out of the monthly tariff. o2 will want not let you get out of something you're contractually bound to whereby they receive all the tariff.

2) A possibility. However, o2 may stop you using an unlocked iPhone on their network by blocking IMEI ranges specified to U.S. iPhones. Another thing is, unlocking may not be a possibility in a month. If Apple prevent rollbacks to previous firmware then you're screwed.

3) I think it would be a mistake for you to do this. You've already justified it enough that you would be suitably unhappy with it. Spending nearly £300 to be unhappy isn't a wise choice.

The answer? I'm not sure. If you were on another network I would suggest #2, however I really think o2 will clamp down on non-registered iPhone users on their network.

4. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I would put this in the category of "wait til the product is launched and see what happens"

5. theliksta macrumors member

Hi

Hi,i spoke to o2 a couple of days ago,and they categorically said THEY WILL TRANSFER EXISTING CUSTOMERS TO AN IPHONE PLAN IF YOU BUY AN IPHONE! Regardless of how far tru your current contract is!

Im in the same boat.Ive got one coming early next week from the states,and want it bad,so im prepared to hack and hope that the dev team or others keep up with any firmware update! I want full functionality and the wifi store etc,but to be honest,im getting a touch as well,uk bought,so im going to be more likely to use that for music stor,vids etc,and use the phone as a phone,and mac mail whhich is a bonus for me as i use a mac.If in future the hacks enable me to get the wifi store and other goodies that are made available in future updates then great,if not,im happy to do that on the touch.

If you want full functionality from the off,id wait for the uk one if i were you.Im lucky to get both,but id be pi**ed off if i had to rely on hacks to keep up with any future firmware update,bearing in mind that,if apple are aggressive on hack,it could be months or never before they catch up with those firmware updates!

In short,if you want a phone,mac mail,edge coverage,and a cool phone now,then buy an american one and hack it,but if you want the lot,then wait!

6. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

When i spoke to o2 they said a completely different thing. they said that you will need to wait until the contract is up. But to tell you the truth i dont think the woman knew what she was talking about. She dident even know it had its own plan. I just hope o2 will TRY and make its costumers happy. Because i have never been happy with o2.

7. MiLK© macrumors member

I have an iPhone arriving with a friend from US next saturday, heres my latest plan:

- Unlock iPhone

- Get contract with T-Mobile - Flext 35 + WebnWalk. This equates to 900min or 1800 texts (Its basically £180 credit each month to spend on a mix of texts and calls) with free weekend calls and unlimited internet data. This costs £37.50/month

- I will also get the N95 free with this, and then sell it to a friend or on eBay for £200 (covering the $400 cost of the iPhone)

- I can also add the wifi hotspots that are included in the crappy o2 packages for £6.99/mo direct from the Cloud's website

-This basically gives me the iPhone free on a better contract. To compare...

o2 = 6 week wait for launch, £269 for phone, £45/mo for 600min 500texs + unlimited data + wifi
    Unlocked iPhone = phone now for free, £44.99/mo for £180 credit (eg. equivalent to 600min + 600 texts) + free weekend calls + unlimited data + wifi

Can anyone see any flaws in this?

8. Pointer thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I had heard that O2 were refusing to transfer customers, which just would not make sense to me at all. Surely Apple wouldn't be happy with that arrangement, a customer wants to give Apple £269 for their phone but O2 won't let them due to contracts. It is win-win for O2 as well as I am sure they will make you sign a NEW 18 month agreement so if you have got 12 months left on your current contract they get an extra 6 months out of you as well.

9. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I completely agree, Its a win-win for everybody. I think o2 will let you just switch to the iphone tariff. The person i was talking on the phone didnt even know that the iphone had its own special tariff. But if they dont let me switch im going to be soo mad. I just stuck with o2 because they got the iphone.

10. cookiemoose macrumors member

It's simple maths really:

Even with 12 (months) it's: 12 x £35 = £420 straight into o2's pocket which you've signed up for.

Let's say Apple demands 50% of the tariff,

18 (months) x £17.50 = £315 for o2.

o2 would be loosing considerable profit if they allowed you to switch. You will almost certainly have to take out a new contract.

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I would wait to see what O2 does. ATT allows people to change plans when you buy an iPhone.

12. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Yes. When Apple release an update, you're screwed. You're in a contract with another provider, and no phone, because Apple just bricked your iPhone for breaking their user agreement.

13. MiLK© macrumors member

Umm...who says I have to update the firmware? :confused:

I just wait for the community to break the latest firmware. Problem solved..

14. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Do you sign an agreement that you will not unlock your iphone when you buy one?

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

See post 957 on this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4223732#post4223732

Quote (Applemacmonkey):

Just to clear up this upgrade business.

Any o2 customer who has an existing contract which was taken out or upgraded BEFORE the 18th September can move across to an iPhone by just buying one. There will be no penalty for doing this. If the contract was taken out after the 18th then you will have to pay an extra charge of £219 regardless of how long is left on that contract.

Easy!

16. ascender macrumors 68000

Like others have said, I firmly believe O2 will let you just switch your contract to an iPhone one without any quibbles. Why? Because they're tying you in to a new 18 month contract and you're paying full whack for the handset. Its a win-win situation for them.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not exactly a wise thing to do. You'd be missing out on features, waiting for hackers to bring out a convulted method to get everything working. I gave up on unlocking my RAZR (had to do a point test) and PSP for these reasons.

18. MiLK© macrumors member

This really doesn't bother me at all. I'm fine with waiting a little bit longer for firmware updates. If it means I save £270 and get a better contract, then in my eyes that is most definitely worth it.

19. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

I agree with you - its what i am doing - my iphone should be with me some point this week..run it off a pay n go sim for now until i decide what i want to do and just delay the updates until theres some kind of patch or update available that wont mess my phone up. hella cheaper than paying £269 for the handset and then going on a tariff with o2.

20. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Iphone Vs O2 Contract

I Just can't seem to get over why O2 is ripping us off with their ****** Iphone tariffs. I've done a bit of research and here are some of my findings.

The £35 tariff comes to 200 Min's, 200 texts and unlimited data + cost of the phone £269 + 18 months contract.

Its crazy cos if you go O2's website on the Sim only pay monthly option (SIMPLICITY), they offer a much juicer tariff.

£35 a month = 1200 (anytime Min's any network) + 1000 texts + free long weekend texts (2000 Min's) or free weekend texts (2000). The contract length is for a minimum of a month (as it should be because your not getting a free phone)

Yes I know a lot of you will shout and jump on me and complain that the deal comes with no unlimited data plan. But O2 can't say that they are offering a lousy 200 Min's and 200 texts because they are offering you free data. I think I would rather have the above tariff with no data and have an option to pay per mb or be offered a kind of web n walk option where you pay an extra flat rate per month like £10 for unlimited data. (O2 has already stated that they are working to offer something similar to all their contract customers from Oct 1st but prices have not been confirmed).

I do not think O2 is justified in forcing the consumer to have an unlimited data package when a large percentage of people MAY not use that option. I mean taking myself for example, I've got wifi access internet usage from home and access to a the net at work so that would rule out using data in those two places. I wont be able to use it on my Way to work cos I'm on the train where there is no access and would probably be making using of the Ipod option anyway. Furthermore why would i risk draining my battery on a wifi or edge connection over important calls or texts? Don't get me wrong I would need to occasionally use some data for instances where you might go to the cinema and need to find times but i cant see myself spending hours and hours on the iphone browsing the net.

The real reason why the tariffs on O2 are so bad for the iphone IMO are that.

1) O2 needs to cough out a percentage of the money they make on the iphone to apple.(But thats their fault not the consumers).

2) O2 is the only carrier of the iphone in the UK and therefore can monopolize the market by offering ****** contracts. I mean why else would they offer two different contracts for £35 one having 200 Min's and the other having 1200mins other then the reasons i have just mentioned.

Like I said in my other post, I think the only way forward is to buy the Iphone and somehow unlock it and go for that Sim only option. (remember the Sim only contract is a minimum of a month so you can change it for something else subject to giving 30 days notice).

Someone said something about the Iphone has been subsidized and that apple and O2 therefore need to get their money back over the 18 moths contract! I don't buy into that, I'm sure i remember reading somewhere that the Iphone costs under £200 to make. Further more your contract with O2 starts when you ACTIVATE the phone via itunes and lock yourself into an 18 month contract and NOT when you buy the iphone from an apple or 02 shop, hence if you can find a way around activating it without registering it on O2 (which apparently can be done) then I'm sure you wont get either O2 knocking at your day demanding you sign up. For apple its a win win situation, they make a buck off you either way.

I'd have gladly paid up to £400 for an iphone which gives me an option to us it on any network of my choice. :)

21. npdale macrumors member

say NO to the 'O' : Vive la revolution!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saynotoO2

Come on guys, O2's tariffs need addressing... I REALLY want to get an official iPhone but O2 cannot be serious about the price they are asking for the service they are delivering...

- only 30% coverage... meaning how many of us get NOTHING in the months after launch (note: they didn't even have EDGE coverage at their own launch event in London! So how quick can they be sorting it?)

- Inferior wifi service : Since T-Mobile have starbucks, airports, hotels, bars, restaurants etc etc etc where do cloud actually cover? This was clearly a last min attempt to make the rubbish EDGE coverage seem less, but doesn't do much to stop the majority of the UK having no coverage, once again!

- Abismal allowances for texts and calls... the UK market is at a VERY advanced stage and with other tariffs offering MUCH more for the same price or less then they need to offer more... I'd happily pay it IF the texts and calls were realistic at least... I mean on camparable tariffs...

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...f-line-rental/

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/index.cfm...3&WT.sv1=link2

these are to highlight but a few... including tariffs from O2 themselves, which just highlight what a joke the iPhone tariffs are.

Also (we shall gloss over the legality of locking a phone in the EU especially one that isn't supplimented by the service provider) What you also have to remember is that these plans that are £35-£55 include a highly subsidised or FREE phone, often of comparable value to the beloved iPhone (don't get me wrong here - i think the iPhone price point is spot on) and thats why you pay more for the monthly tariff, because the service provider (O2 etc) subsidise the unit in exchange for the 12/18 month contract.

Here we pay FULL price for the phone but still expect to also pay a full monthly rate... we should be getting cheaper tariffs because O2 don't have to subsidise the unit. OK so that rumoured 40% profit "share" with Apple is harsh, but hey, thats their screw up.. not our fault if their negotiators are rubbish is it?

So basically I am lodging complaints and a petition with those compaints.

I am taking it to O2 in one month and I am also writing to the press to highlight this issue (since they seem to enjoy mocking the iPhone price).

So please, everyone who feels that O2 are being a little silly/downright outrageous with these deals, click, sign the petition and lets see what happens... it doesn't take long to register and it could make a difference..

(oh and everyone who says "apple and O2 will only listen with revenues" and protest by not buying... thats not going to happen and I know that... but don't be so niaeve to think that customer complaints don't dictate policy change, especially very noisy ones ... I have spent many years in companies and it is just this kind of thing that can make a difference. The point is not to get immediate change but for them to reconsider and perhaps alter them after Nov 9th to more reasonable deals... everyone would benefit.)

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saynotoO2

22. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I'm pretty tempted by that getting a phone from the US (or maybe I will just wait, and buy one here but not activate it - saves a bit of hassle and I can wait 6 weeks) and then putting it on a T-Mo SIM. The problems I see are:

1) The updates thing. I guess though, like a previous poster said, I could simply not update the firmware.

2) Missing features. No visual voicemail doesn't really bother me to be honest, but no WiFi iTunes Store? What other features could Apple add that would be blocked out to us with hacked iPhones? Does everything else work fine but visual voicemail at the moment?

3) This is the biggest one for me I think. What is T-Mo's EDGE network like? If the iPhone was 3G, that would be fine, T-Mo don't have a bad 3G network, but I have no idea about their EDGE coverage. Do they even have any? O2's ****** edge coverage is still better than just GPRS on T-Mo I think.

I guess the big pluses over the O2 deal is a lot better tariff, and £200 (or whatever you can sell the N95 for) in the pocket. I would have to take out the £45 O2 plan - and even then I'd probably run over on the texts.. seeing what else I could get with other companies (notable T-Mo) for that money is frightening.

If anyone has any thoughts or answers to any of my points that would be good. :) Cheers.

23. sananda macrumors 68020

i called t-mobile the other day and (eventually) spoke to someone in a technical department who told me they don't have any EDGE.

24. npdale macrumors member

i got the same response from T-Mob, but I dont think the agents are informed at all because the unlocked T-Mob unit engadget had at the UK launch had EDGE but the O2 one didnt so they must have at least some EDGE coverage...

25. sananda macrumors 68020

well, it had the E sign. what would come up if it was getting GPRS? i must have been a US iphone....does the it have a G sign?