Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gormond

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Even if Vodafone were to get the 3G model I wouldn't bank on them being any cheaper than o2.

What I like about Vodafone is there "Stop The Clock" and "Vodafone Family", I find I now don't even use as much as 200 mins a month.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Just realised after all this EDGE talk that my current Samsung d900 supports EDGE too. :p I'm on Orange, and I nearly always have an E at the top of the screen. I'd never stopped to think what it meant until now.. :eek: The worrying thing is that whenever I have used the mobile internet, even right here, where it is showing EDGE reception, it has been slow as ****. :) So we will see.

Pointer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Just had a reply to the email that I sent to Matthew Key (O2 CEO) at the weekend, I will copy the email I sent to him and his reply:

Pointer thanks for your kind comments – the top level answer to your questions is yes – but I will get Mark to give you the fuller answer

Matthew Key

CEO

O2 UK Ltd

http://www.o2.com

-----Original Message-----
To: Key Matthew
Subject: iPhone for existinng O2 Customers?

Hi Matthew,

I was very impressed with your presentation at Apple's Regent Street Store last Tuesday morning. There was a question that yourself and Steve Jobs didn't cover though and that I can't find a clear answer for on the O2 website: I am an existing O2 customer about 6 months into an 18 month contract. I currently pay £35 a month and have an O2 XDA phone (which I love by the way, great product). I wish to purchase an iPhone when it is released on November 9th, can I simply swap from my existing contract onto one of the new iPhone contracts? It says on the O2 website that existing customers can keep their numbers but it doesn't make it clear if that is for customers whose contracts have expired or those who are halfway through a contract.

Congratulations on bringing the iPhone to O2 and thank you for providing a great mobile phone service, I have always had excellent customer service when I have needed it and get excellent coverage throughout the UK.

Regards,

The email Matthew Key sent me was CC'd to Mark Stevenson who works in the Marketing Dept at O2, when he replies in more detail I will post here again.

Pointer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Could you also ask about Pay As You Go option for iPhone if you got a chance plz?

Thx :)

There is no pay as you go option mate. If you want to pay as you go you need to buy an iphone (either from here on Nov. 9th or the USA) and unlock it via one of the numerous methods out there. This of course voids the warranty (if Apple find out about it) and the ability to update the iPhone is comprimised.

metoo6000

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
London, UK
There is no pay as you go option mate. If you want to pay as you go you need to buy an iphone (either from here on Nov. 9th or the USA) and unlock it via one of the numerous methods out there. This of course voids the warranty (if Apple find out about it) and the ability to update the iPhone is comprimised.

AT&T has a PAYG option even it is not announced. I am hoping that O2 also offers same option. If you ask about PAYG they will know what you are talking about.

Pointer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Pointer,

Hello, as Matthew says the top level answer is Yes.

To clarify if you were an existing O2 customer before we announced the iPhone - only on O2 deal - so before the 18th September, you will be able to exit your existing contract and take your current mobile phone number (mpn) ontto a new iPhone contract, without any termination charges on your existing contract, irrespective where you are, in the tenure of that contract.

However, you will not be able to move your existing contract onto the iPhone - you have to start a new 18 month contract, on one of the new unique O2 iPhone tariffs - that combine great value minute and text allownaces with unlimited bundles of Data and Wifi included in the monthly subscription.

There are 3 O2 iPhone tariffs - £35, £45 & £55, which I am sure you have already seen on the internet.

Hope this helps, if you want any further clarity just drop me a line.

Best

Mark

Confirmation from Mark Stevenson of O2 Marketing Dept that existing O2 Customers will be able to transfer to an iPhone contract without paying a penalty.

Great news!

ynnoj

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
The email Matthew Key sent me was CC'd to Mark Stevenson who works in the Marketing Dept at O2, when he replies in more detail I will post here again.
That sounds very promising!

Thanks for your effort.

edit: Just seen your new post, awesome!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Completely off-topic question... Tariff?

Sorry to go completely off-topic on you all, but I have a grammatical question.

Here in the US, the word "tariff" is used exclusively to refer to a certain type of tax on imported goods. I have never once heard it used to refer to what I call a "service plan level". Is the "price of a plan" usage the more common usage in the UK, or is the word used equally for both meanings?

(I'm partly curious because Wikipedia's article on "tariff" is exclusively on the taxation usage, you have to go to the disambiguation page to get a small note about the UK usage.)

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Sorry to go completely off-topic on you all, but I have a grammatical question.

Here in the US, the word "tariff" is used exclusively to refer to a certain type of tax on imported goods. I have never once heard it used to refer to what I call a "service plan level". Is the "price of a plan" usage the more common usage in the UK, or is the word used equally for both meanings?

(I'm partly curious because Wikipedia's article on "tariff" is exclusively on the taxation usage, you have to go to the disambiguation page to get a small note about the UK usage.)

Two countries separated by a common language.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Definition of 'Tariff':

1. A list or system of duties imposed by a government on imported or exported goods, or a duty or duties so imposed.

2. A schedule of prices or fees.

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2006
a quick question, which might be out of topic,
I'm living in the UK. If I buy an iphone from the US, will I be able to activate it in the UK when O2 comes out with its iphone in Nov?
thanks!

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
a quick question, which might be out of topic,
I'm living in the UK. If I buy an iphone from the US, will I be able to activate it in the UK when O2 comes out with its iphone in Nov?
thanks!

I was wondering this too, a mate of mine is going across to America soon, and he said he would bring me back an iPhone, with the current conversion rates it will be about £70 less than the UK, a significant saving. I would love to know if I will be able to activate it normally on O2, the £35 plan will probably suit me fine, I only average about 70 text messages a month, and 100 ish minutes.

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2006
exactly the same boat Shrewsburywolf. But the O2 tarriff proves to be a bit tad expensive. All my tarriffs so far have been 12month contract, averaging about £30 with 500mins crossnetwork, phone included in calculation.

btw, I did my A-levels in Concord college in Shrewsbury! how's it going over there?

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
exactly the same boat Shrewsburywolf. But the O2 tarriff proves to be a bit tad expensive. All my tarriffs so far have been 12month contract, averaging about £30 with 500mins crossnetwork, phone included in calculation.

btw, I did my A-levels in Concord college in Shrewsbury! how's it going over there?

Always good in Shrewsbury!! I have lived in many places across the UK due to my dad being in the forces, but Shropshire has to be my favorite.

I don't find the O2 tariff too bad, I am currently on vodafone, which is a rip off!!! my average bill over the last 18 months has been about £40-50 no matter what I use during the month, and I wouldn't say I was a heavy user.

I wish in hindsight I had switched to O2 when my vodafone contract ran out at the end of last month, but it would have been just my luck that it went to another network! As it stands I guess I will just have to stick with the rip off merchants vodafone until Nov 9th.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've decided to wait it out.

I'm already on a tariff which is costing me £35 or so a month, so even if I go up a plan on the iPhone, the cost isn't much different. £269 for the handset is reasonable IMO given what you're buying and the fact you're getting it at launch.

Unlimited data kind of sweetens the deal although I'd be much happier for it to be on 3G than Edge.

I'm not going to unlock a US phone as I just want a hassle free experience and I know that Apple does good things with its updates, be it bug-fixes or feature updates. I really can't be bothered having to hold off on updates until we find out if it will then re-lock the handset and then waiting for a new unlock to become available.

So yes, I'm basically lazy :)

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 165
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.