Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PolySciSurfer

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
California
I think it would be awesome if you donated it to a student. But whatever you do, what a great thing! Very nice gesture, and glad to see there are still giving people in the world. Let us know what you decide! :D

PhixionFilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2008
Deployed atm
if you donate the computer, it will end up in some jackasses house or the president of the company. Sell the computer, get the cash, and then donate that.

TXBDan

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
Boston, MA
I'd sell it and buy 3 reasonable PC laptops and donate those. seriously. more ppl/kids could have access to computers, windows is more universal so its more likely to be compatible w/ what they might use it for, and its more likely they'll be able to get support for it.

johnsarah777

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
We are a non profit needing a MacBook Pro

We are a non profit working with orphans who are looking for a MacBook Pro that we can do video editing on and use as a primary portable computer. Do you still want to donate your MacBook?
Thanks,
John:

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
We are a non profit that works with orphans. Do you still want to donate your MacBook? We would love to use it as a great help to do video as well as primary computer use. Thanks,
John

What's the name of your organisation?
What's your registered charity number?
Did you really think you could just create an account and say "I work for a charity, please give me your computer"?

I say find a local college or university, and ask the admin staff if they know of any struggling students who may not be able to afford their own computer, then donate it to one of them.

If you give it to a charity for children it will most likely end up in a "computer room" amongst aging PCs and wont be used to it's greatest extent because the primary users will be young kids. Give it to a student who will appreciate the power and capabilities, or sell it and donate the money. It's a very nice thing to do none the less, good on you!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I am distrustful of charities. It would be great if you knew an underprivileged person who you just give it too. That way, you know that 100% of your donation goes to the intended recipient--as opposed to maybe 30% if you sell it and donate the money.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I am distrustful of charities. It would be great if you knew an underprivileged person who you just give it too. That way, you know that 100% of your donation goes to the intended recipient--as opposed to maybe 30% if you sell it and donate the money.
This is why I don't bother with charities.
There is more than one way to help other people, and my money could be better used elsewhere.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
If I can make a suggestion... donate it to a special needs child in a school. Laptops are great tools for children who need alternative methods to learn. I work with a couple children with autism that use laptops as a communication tool... for them it's easier to type than talk. Just a thought.

cdaugherty

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
You will find that I too only have one post (beside this one), that is only because I am in the process of getting a macbook pro 17 and my buddy (Djinn) turned me on to this site. I have been lurking for a week or two.

My brother suffered a very rare disease and past away two years ago. Before he died he had started a foundation to help a family from the Dominican Republic who had children with the same disease he had come to America (treatment was not avail there and is not in most countries). Its a long story and some of it is up on his site (http://www.mps6cess.org). These kids are missing a critical enzyme and it was not until my brother was in his late twenties that there was anything to help. Anyway, these kids from other countries have their whole families displaced to get this treatment. They spend one day a week for the rest of their lives in the hospital getting the treatment. On occasion when I have been there some of the kids (mainly the Americans) are on their notebooks while others don't have anything. The hospital in Oakland where they receive treatment does have internet access.

If you are interested in donating to one of these kids check out my brothers site, it is a foundation so I believe that you can write off the donation. Also I would be glad to discuss via phone/mail/whatever...

Regardless of where your macbook ends up, it is an AWESOME thing you are doing and I would stick with donating however you see fit.

-Chris Daugherty

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Give it to me. I'll use it for about 7 hours a day and send you pictures of it every day , promise :)

Otherwise, sell and donate the cash. Seriously, it WILL go underutilized (if people can't afford a mac or even any computer how will they afford internet/office/iWork/anything). Or you could go to a film or art school and ask one of the Profs of a student who deserves a workhorse machine (and can afford the adobe creative suite).

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Dont donate it! I mean its good on your part wanting to help out someone in need, but NO one needs a Macbook Pro, i dont, and half of us here dont. Non-profit organizations are still run by PAID employees, people dont work for free at these places, they will probably just sell it off and or take it.

I would just put it up for sale reasonably priced and sell it. then donate the money to like st judes cancer for kids or something.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Dear Sir,

I am away on important conference in London (I work for Sun Magazine)
and am not able to pick up this machine,
my daughter who is going to college in NY shortly and she
has a rare disease would make her happy this purchase.
I understand you want to give to charity for free...and I think this is great!
Even still, I will provide you $250 for your kind genoristy...paypal.
please forward me your paypal account ASAP so i can pay.

thank you and god bless you all of your days.

:)

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
donate or sell

I collect computers here in the bay area for a charity I work with called shelter network. they provide housing and getting back to life assistance for single parent families, broken homes, etc. they provide a charitable deduction receipt, I usually use an ebay recent auction as the validation of the market value. You SHOULD get a receipt with value for tax purposes. Why not?

It is also good to sell and then directly donate the money if you don't really know the charity or are suspect that someone might just use the machine.

I can tell you, that for charities like the one above, getting computers for kids in school, going off to community college or other is a BIG benefit, since companies these days are VERY hesitant to donate computers even though I tell them I will remove the HD's and replace them, they just don't get it.

one company I worked with had 1500 thinkpads in a storage locker, just sitting there ROTTING since they couldn't be bothered to allow anyone to remove the HD's and replace the HD's in order to do any protection on them.

Let me know if you want me to help find a reputable charity in your area, or offer you a box to ship it here.

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Dear Sir,

I am away on important conference in London (I work for Sun Magazine)
and am not able to pick up this machine,
my daughter who is going to college in NY shortly and she
has a rare disease would make her happy this purchase.
I understand you want to give to charity for free...and I think this is great!
Even still, I will provide you $250 for your kind genoristy...paypal.
please forward me your paypal account ASAP so i can pay.

thank you and god bless you all of your days.

:)

give it to this guy, god didnt bless him with a macbook pro but he blessed you, so imagine how much more BLESSED you will be when you give it to him.

god ftw

Batman101

macrumors member
May 9, 2009
<insert moving stories or experience here>

<insert begging comments here>

<insert address here>

now give it to me!:)

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
I have too many mbp's and i want to donate one to somebody who really needs it. I dont use it anymore its just sitting in the box and i dont want to sell it, i would just rather give it away. Is there any organization that excepts computers or websites or something i could look at. Thanks to anyone that helps me with this.

I believe you do NOT have too many MBP. Why would you? Why would someone buy more than they need then leave some boxed and unused. You are a liar. :rolleyes:

Eilidh

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
I'm a legally blind student who could REALLY use the accessibly in one, if you still haven't found a home for the computer. Although I'm a bit confused as to how someone could afford two at once, but if they can, than that's good for them I suppose. Not knocking it, just odd to me, that's all. but I'll probably be too late anyway, but I'll write this just in case.

My email is eilidhceol@gmail.com if you would like to contact me.

Many thanks,
Eilidh Hanrahan

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
I have too many mbp's and i want to donate one to somebody who really needs it. I dont use it anymore its just sitting in the box and i dont want to sell it, i would just rather give it away. Is there any organization that excepts computers or websites or something i could look at. Thanks to anyone that helps me with this.

Hats off to you! I couldn't afford to just give my MBP away but if I could I would definitely donate it to an underprivileged school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.