i wanted the iphone 5 cause it would make me look good

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Globetrotter, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

and most others in my age range 18-24 are probably the same

status matters when you are young, and a new iphone is a status symbol (at least for the first few months when they are still rare to see)

Siri on its own is not worth the upgrade

the problem with switching from apple is - girlz don't dig android...

probably why there is so much hate going on right now

2. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

A mass produced phone that is sold to millions around the world is a status symbol?

3. ppilone macrumors 6502

You win, Macrumors.

This is a gag thread, right?

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

+1

OP how is something that anyone can have a status symbol? My grandma has and iPhone 4. She's 87. Have fun being with my grandma, elite status...

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I thought people in that age bracket were into their BBMing and wouldn't stray from that. But what would this old man know? :confused:

6. f00f macrumors 65816

Just steal Gizmodo's ip5 prototype. Rake in the chix! Problem solved!

[​IMG]

7. aohus macrumors 68000

at least OP admitted it. i know a lot of people that think this way.

8. Globetrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

the phone might be mass produced, but it's not for the masses

iphone is 5% of phone market at the moment, iphone 5 would be about 1-2% of that, so would mean you would be 1 in a 100 with iphone 5

seriously, how can people deny this is 60% of why they wanted the iphone 5

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

One thing you learn as you get older is that materialistic stuff does not make you cool or have some status. If people you hang out with think that way you are hanging out with the wrong people.

10. f00f macrumors 65816

In your age bracket that's probably the case. In fact it's likely closer to 100%.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Great post.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I wanted the iphone cause it's a nifty toy and it's useful. I love gadgets. Honestly, if I cared about looking cool, I'd probably not be into gadgets cause my generation tended to view computer geeks/nerds and gadget loving stuff as, well geeks and nerds. Cars were the thing that was what you made your statement by (you guys have it easier if you care about looking cool... gadgets aren't as expensive). Or also what music you listened to. Oh, who am I kidding? I didn't pay enough attention to what makes you cool to make any statement on that (besides the cars thing which was obvious that your car was a statement, or maybe that's just cause I like cars, heh. But I do think kids paid attention to that). I kinda did my own thing as a teen (never been good at paying attention to what others think. REtail has helped me judge people's reactions better, my mom has noticed I'm better at reading people and socializing after working it for a while).

Though, is it really true the younger generation actually uses their phone as the "status symbol"? Cause honestly... really?

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I agree with the OP. I'm was likely going to pre-order the new iPhone, but now that I found out that the new iPhone will be indistinguishable from the current iPhone 4 (on the outside). I'm not so sure now. I was really banking on sporting the new design, but now people looking at me won't even know that I have the latest iPhone and that's not good! :confused:

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I also had a sinking feeling when the 5 didn't happen and it was subconsciously because I knew there wasn't going to be any iPhone swaggin' going on this year.

I saw a picture that conveyed this somewhere earlier today...

16. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

If hot chicks are only sleeping with you because you have the new iPhone then you probably shouldn't sleep with them :)

17. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I really like iPhone, i do not have one for the status symbol.

But I was one of a few people at my high school that had one, and i did feel special.

Now at my college... almost half of kids have an iPhone. Good feelings gone and now i just have a good phone... (with iOS 5)

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

this is half the problem people when they see a 4s won't know if it is a 4s or an iphone 4 which affects people alot.

19. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

People, inferiority complex can be treated by visiting a shrink. Or the purchase of a newly designed iPhone.

20. Globetrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

i don't think this is true, the items just change

when you are young, all you can afford is a phone, and maybe a runaround car

then a little older, your watch is part of your status, and a nice car, and a nice apartment

then a little older, a really nice car, a great apartment, what golf clubs you use

then a little older, what paintings you have

etc...

human beings are built on status - when I ask girls to put their number in my phone, I don't want them fumbling around saying "what kind of weird phone is this"

"oh, it's a nexus prime blah blah blah"

this is like instant turn off lol

21. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Status? I'm 20 and couldn't care less.

I have a pretty expensive car and motorcycle yet I bought them for myself, not to show off! I'm actually using a Nokia 1616 at the moment too and couldn't care less what everyone else thinks or how 'bad' my status is.

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

If this is the case, then why even get an iPhone. Why not get some el-cheapo Android phone. It makes calls, has nearly the same apps, and surfs the same internet, right? If I remember correct, it was Apple (Jobs, to be exact) that encourages us to get a beautiful cool phone. You know, where technology and liberal arts intersect.

Anyways, I'm not so much concerned about the people I know seeing me with the phone, as I'll make sure every single one of them knows its actually an iPhone 4S, not an iPhone 4. It's the people I don't know (or could get to know), like strangers, that won't be able to see that I have the latest iPhone.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

And why older people have such a negative view of our youth.

24. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

You're joking, right?

25. Pooshka macrumors 65816

At least there is one plus to all of this:

same old looks will make it less attractive to thieves.