I wish I'd bought an Air over my Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kardashian, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I got my MacBook Pro about 3 weeks ago.

And, as much as I love having a Mac again, and Apple's top of the line notebook at that - I just dont 'like' my MacBook Pro.

I mean, its good looking (kinda) - but I was expecting more.

Its nice when its closed - but I wasn't expecting such a plasticy-feeling interior, and the ugly grey plastic surround along the bottom casing.

I really wish I'd bought the Air.

I went away for the weekend last week, and visited an Apple store on my way - and saw Air's and Pro's side by side, and I think looks wise, it wins hands down.

I don't use all the power in my MacBook Pro to begin with, so the Air would have sufficed.

For the rare occasion's I watch a DVD I could have got the exterior drive, or 2 (one for Region 1, one for Region 2 :) )

2. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I find it fascinating to see the differences in perception between people in the human race. After removing the computer from the box and turning it on, I pretty much focus 100% on the screen and what the computer is doing, so the technical specifications mean a lot more to me than if I feel fuzzy looking at the keyboard. When it's closed, I might take a second every once in a great while to admire it's form, but once open, my focus is elsewhere.

But I agree with you. If aesthetics is your most important feature in a laptop, swap out for the Air.

3. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

It stinks you're out of the refund period though... :(

I love the way my MBP looks, I would not change a thing, well it'd be nice if it was lighter.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

Just sell it and buy and Air. You'll still come out with enough money to buy and air and the superdrive. Personally, I think the Air is too restricting and I swapped back to the MBP which is great even if I like the Air design better.

5. crobbins macrumors 6502

I at first was sucked in to the MacBook Air's pretty looks. I sold my MacBook Pro (2.0 CoreDuo) and got one. As a side note, it was amazing to me that my almost two year old machine basically paid for my Air (all but 50 dollars) However, after about 2 weeks use on the machine I realized it's not the MacBook Pro and regretted my decision. Luckily I knew someone that wanted one so they bought mine and I bought the current generation MacBook Pro.

6. Marcquito macrumors member

Marcquito

I don't understand why people purchase the MBP when they have no intention of using the computer for what it's made to do. If you're complaining about something dumb like "ohhh, the ugly grey plastic trim..." or, "oh my god, the interior. whaaah" then go ahead and get your air. It can't do anything except keep you more mobile and do simple tasks like checking facebook or your email which is obviously all you do.

Sorry, I just think it's stupid when people buy the MBP because it's "cool" and don't even ****ing use it.

7. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I bought it because the Apple rep on the phone basically laughed and said "It doesn't matter what you're doing, the Air isn't good for anything day to day. The MacBook Pro has the same metal enclosure, just bigger".

Listen, there's no need to swear, get irate. If you feel my post winds you up - don't respond. Or, sit back in your little office chair, and take a breather.

I'm only IM'ing, Facebooking, web browsing, downloading music and stuff like that. School work, writing essay's etc.

The Air would suit me fine, and it will be SO much easier to go back and forth to school.. I can use it in Lectures etc.

How much do you think I could sell the current generation of MacBook Pro for?

I have the base 15".

8. PDE macrumors 68020

If it's almost new and you write a good ad, I think you should be able to get around $1800 on craigslist. With that you can either get a slightly used on on craigslist (in NYC they're selling for about $1400-1500 on craigslist), or get a new one from amazon for $1750 and add $50 to get the superdrive if you need it.

I have to say, as long as you know that you'll be comfortable with the limitations of the MBA (disk space, fixed ram, no built-in drive, less battery life, smaller screen, mono speaker, one usb port, no firewire, no expresscard etc etc), the MBA is a beautiful computer. I made a list of pros and cons and the only pro I could come up with the MBA was weight/size. The MBP is much better in every other way. So if weight/size and I guess design are the most important things, then the mBA is great. I realised that for me the compromises were just not worth the inconveniences even if I loved the design and size. I think Apple will make the MBA much better with time and I'll be happy to go back in the future if that happens.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I really dont understand how you think the MBP is made of plastic. Everything (except the keyboard) is made of Aluminum. I dont see how its cheap at all, to me this thing is rock solid. The Air I think is not worth it. I feel like going from a MBP to an Air would be a huge step backwards....4200HD?? 1.6GHz Processor?? X3100?? If I were to ever buy a Air, it would be as a travel computer. Nothing more than that. I think you would be happier with just a MacBook.

10. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

People can do whatever they want.

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If you dont need the power of the pro...why not just get a macbook then since you save money?. I think going for the Air is huge step backwards and those looks you're attracted to will fade soon enough but thats just my opinion

PS- its the first time i've ever heard someone called the MBP called 'plasticy'...something carved out of Anodized Aluminium but there's always a first time for everything

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the OP is complaining about the plastic lining he'll (or she'll) raise hell about the whole computer being plastic. ;)

13. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

1, An incorrect assumption of the MBA's perfiormance by someone who obviously hasn't the first clue about the subject he is trying to coment on. I bought mine for mobility and its happy in CS3 and NetBeans with apache/MYSQL Server/RUby and Mongrel webserevr all runnig concurrently. Yes I have the basic 1.6/80 model and it has surpassed my expectations. To say its only good for facebook is ignorant to say the least.

2, THe second comment is purely a rant. While I respect your right to an opinion its not justified to use language like that about a product that you clealry have personal reservations about (perhaps some envy here.... after all size ISNT everything you know!)

- to the original poster - If you aren't happy with your MBP, then go ahead and get the Air. its your life, your choice. People who brag about their power useage and put others down for not using theirs to the max are (in my opinion) just a bit further to the dark side of insecure than I would like.

If you want to hold brragging rights over your useage - go find a forum where that kind of thing is desireable - on here it isn't. We like to help each other; not belittle them.

<end of line>

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apple offers the MacBook, the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air for a reason... people are different and they have different needs (and tastes, hence the matte v. glossy, black v. white, et. al.)

Curiously enough, they also offer the iMac and the Mac Pro for those who have even different needs

Just because one person finds the MBP meets their needs, they should not assume it is right for everyone else (or the MBA, or the MacBook, etc.)

Having the choice is awesome, and finding the one that best meets your needs is a journey

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

It's funny how you considered the pro in the first place, if a computer like the air fulfills your computer power needs.

16. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Maybe they need to add a "MacBook Art" to the lineup.

MacBook Art - It looks pretty when you've gone to every website on the internet and have nothing else to do but look at the keyboard on your laptop
    CPU: none
    screen: none (clips to hold your the artwork of your choice)
    Hard drive: none
    Interfaces: none
    Price: 18,999 USD

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have both (new versions) . Just a heads up:

The Pro is MUCH faster than the 4200rpm HD version of the Air and the difference is substantial.

My advice is to get the SSD if possible. (price has gone way down on this version)

The perceived' speed difference between a 5400rpm drive and 7200rpm is relatively small.

On the other hand, the difference between a 4200rpm and a 5400rpm is very noticeable.

Also, the Airs temps vary wildly and it DOES overheat with a heavy load (within spec I guess but can get to around 70c very quickly). The next cpu iteration should help greatly with this. Then the thing will be perfect, IMHO.

I find myself using the pro for 'pro' work (makes sense eh?) :D

both of these laptops are great. It's Apples to Apples as far as I'm concerned.

18. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

RE: CostaBunny and MacDawg

Thank you for taking the time to post that. Out of all the people in this thread, its nice to know there are at least 2 people who are willing to constructively comment, or actually help someone, rather than bash them for their choices, mistakes or preference. Again, thank you.

RE: alphaod and daneoni

If you'd read my post correctly, I'm referencing the interior of the computer. Maybe I'm wrong, but the casing where the keyboard and trackpad sit seems to be plastic.

When I was buying the computer, I was under the impression everything was made from aluminium. Maybe I am wrong, but this part of the computer does seem to be plastic, thats all.

I have nothing wrong with owning a computer made of plastic, after having over 15 Macs, everyone except the Air and Mac Pro.

My point is, I was paying the money for the aesthetic reasons, and because Apple advised me it was the best option - and after reading a lot of MBA bashing posts here.

If I'd have known I wouldn't actually need all this power, and that it didn't meet my expectations (this is different from my so-called requirements of having a metal computer) then I would have stuck with my BlackBook, or upgraded to the Air for portability purposes.

And before someone bashes my 'upgrade' comment (BlackBook -> Air) to me, it would be an upgrade. Nicer looking computer, more portability - this is a factor for me. Therefore, its an upgrade.

19. muldul macrumors 6502

I agree the air is nicer looking, it's newer, but i don't think you realize just how much of a step down the air is from the pro performance wise. The air wasn't designed as a primary computer and so it shouldn't be used as such.If you have another primary computer then sure go for the air, other wise stick with the pro

20. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Your sarcastic answers haven't helped in the least.

They're not even entertaining, or in the least bit comical.

To be honest, reading anything you've written in this whole thread seems like quite the waste of time.

I considered the Pro because it was the same price range as the Air, and because Apple recommended it, and because so many people here bashed the Air in the first place.

21. donmei macrumors regular

I could never live with a 13 inch shortscreen monitor. Just not enough vertical space.

The botom line is that the air saves you a couple of pounds over the plain old macbook, costs more, and does less. Unless you call looking sexy "doing" something.

It sounds like you are focused on the sex factor. So buy your Air because thats what you want. But believe me. Once you go from a 15 or 17 inch screen to a 13" you will regret it.

I purchased a mbp entirely to get the larger screen. The plain old macbook had more than enough juice for me.

Don

22. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

My first post was quite constructive and had no sarcasm whatsoever. Your welcome.

Then you have no sense of humor.

Your original post states that you want to change from the pro to the air based on NO OTHER factors than looks. You mention absolutely no other reason to want to switch. My responses are reasonable and useful in this context. And funny too. :p

I never bashed the Air. It has it's place, and I've said so on this forum many times. I don't agree with the bashers. But I do find it fascinating that someone would want to switch computers purely for aesthetic reasons - especially when they could see what both look like before purchasing. :confused:

23. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Well... like someone's already posted, in the end, it falls down to what YOU want and what YOU need. If you deem the Air is enough for you, then it most probably is. It won't make a difference if 10000 other people were bashing it, or 10000 people were praising it, it falls down to you.

I think that the people who earn the money should be given the right to choose. And it might not just be down to looking cool for MBP... For me, not only was the consideration power in a mobile package, but also silver. Seeing a presentation using a MacBook, or a macBook black, doesn't really give a professional look. Plastics tend to do that. The MacBooks (to me, anyways) seem to just look more consumer-like, which they are.

Just my 0.02

Darn... I'm stingy... that's not much, considering the exchange currency rates and where I live :p

24. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

You're awfully quick to assume things about people. First of all, sense of humour, yes thank you, its there. I just save it for things that are actually funny.

Second assumption you got wrong, no, I couldn't have seen it in person before hand - or else I would have purchased it from a store.

And lastly, in my final reply to you, yes, I am basing this on aesthetics because I don't need the power this computer has, although, I do need the portability. The portability is a physical/aesthetical factor.

25. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I have a MPB only because a couple days a week I work at home, I'm a software developer - for that reason extra screen real estate and power are valued over portability.

All the rest of the time, I pretty much do whatever most consumers do with their machines, email/web browsing/music playing/etc. If I never used the machine for work I would have an Air.