I wont buy if the RAM is the same.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clivewarren, Mar 3, 2011.

1. clivewarren macrumors newbie

Go ahead, mock me mercilessly. I do enjoy the ipad, but constantly, websites dont fully load. I look at a lot of photography sites and things like that and half the images dont load. I always get the "system memory low" message when i go to use the iElectribe and other music apps. Games chug quite often. Doubling the RAM would absolutely help this. This is why people care about this so much, and i find it funny how people get insulted for asking for something like this from a product that is meant to do these things. My phone has twice that amount.

2. r2fa3l macrumors regular

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Good. Another less boy who will be standing in line at apple store. Thank you. Make the line shorterrrr.

4. clivewarren thread starter macrumors newbie

If everyone was like you guys, products would never be improved.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

Right!

one less in line :D

(a possible upside to 256mb)

6. celo48 macrumors 6502a

7. whyhellojoe macrumors member

thumbs up

8. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

9. hayesk macrumors 65816

Really? Products don't get improved because people judge them based on what they can do instead of a meaningless spec?

Most iPad owners don't even know how much RAM is in their iPads, let alone why they would need more.

10. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

What a bunch a blind fanboi's.

The OP is 100% right.

I love Apple and even I am questioning (not threatening) a purchase because of the RAM. The fact that we don't know how much it is really annoying.

The amount of ram is HUGE deal. I'm not talking about "the average joe doesn't know what RAM is". He WILL know when his experience is crap.

It should have at the bare minimum 512 MB.

Why put a dual core processor and better GPU in a product without upgrading the ram? It's idiotic. It's like having a Ferrari with a 1/2 gallon gas tank.

11. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

++1. OP is absolutely correct. The stingy amount of memory in iPad1 that probably continues into iPad 2 is shameful. Yes, by all means, make the iPad affordable... but not at the cost of performance-robbing miniscule memory.

12. Carouser macrumors 65816

The fact that some people need to know how much RAM is in it instead of asking 'how does the product actually perform when I'm using it' is really annoying too.

Also annoying is assuming that if it doesn't meet your RAM criteria that the average Joe will have a crap experience.

Keep cryin' though, it looks good.

13. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

The blind brand loyalty and defensiveness of some people never ceases to amaze me.

If the iPad 2 doesn't have at least 512mb of RAM is would be absolutely ridiculous. It was already ridiculous that the first iPad launched in April of 2010 with 256mb of RAM, only to have the iPhone 4 launch 2 months later with double that amount. I mean really Apple, the phone has double the RAM of the iPad. lol

14. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

When the average person experiences problems because of the lack of ram and his friends Android tablet doesn't, then they won't recommend it to a friend or buy other apple products...or they may return it.

I'm not a numbers freak, Apple doesn't always have the best specs, we all know that. In this case we have put away the blinders and face the facts, this update needs more ram.

If you want to be rude and act like "good one less in line" and "cry moar", then you've just proven what most people hate about Apple fanboi's. I could point a bunch of PC users who'd consider an iPad to this thread and they'd all walk away. If they did, you would say "good, who wants you anyway". That's exactly my point.

People buy stuff on word of mouth and many do research and read reviews. The average person is smarter than you give them credit for. A person who is dumb enough not to care about the ram probably wouldn't even buy an iPad.

15. Justin Luck macrumors regular

Notebook RAM is dirt cheap. I just bought a 2GB stick for $32 shipped. Is there a reason RAM in an iPad would be any more expensive?

16. Davichi macrumors 6502

Don't buy because I will buy one for sure. If like them enough, I will buy another.

17. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

cant say I have run into a ram issue yet and I use it for photography field work all the time. Maybe its user error on the OPs part?

18. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

...like lemmings jumping off the cliff because everyone else is. How about some critical skepticism? Might make us smarter before we blindly buy whatever Apple throws at us. It's called the smart consumer.

19. sphoenix macrumors regular

sphoenix

My guess is:

iPad 2 RAM = 512MB
    iPhone 5 RAM = 1GB

Can someone link us back to this thread after the iPhone 5 teardown? :D

20. Carouser macrumors 65816

Just because you think something should happen doesn't mean it will. Also, you being wrong doesn't make the people who are right 'fanboys'.

21. Justin Luck macrumors regular

The RAM issue is similar to the crazy price structure for this device. I bought a Crucial SATA III 64GB SSD for $100 from Newegg and yet there is a $100 price difference between the 16GB and 32GB models.

22. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

And what makes you think you're right? Arrogance. Unbelievable.

23. LaughingAtYou macrumors newbie

I concur the OP.

The new CPU is said to be up to twice as fast, with graphics performance up to nine times better than on the original iPad. Does it really make sense to have only 256mb of RAM? No, it doesn't. There will be more graphic intensive apps and everyone knows how fast RAM gets filled up.

If you guys don't care, then buy it. When your iPad 2 starts to lag because you have 3 graphic-intensive apps in the background and 5 tabs open in safari, don't come to the forums crying.

Hopefully, it won't have 256mb of RAM.

24. Carouser macrumors 65816

I have a better argument both logically and empirically; my position is defensible and grounded in what people actually do.

:confused: What I'm saying is true whether you believe it or not. I don't get it.