I yack on my iBook G4. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiBoys

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
San Francisco
THis happened Satureday, i clean it up, i didnt trun on the computer till today, but is not powering up.

Questions:
what do you think is damaged? HD?
what is the estimated cost to fix it?

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Ouch! My iBook G4 logic board died last Month, I'm waiting for merom macbooks to replace!

By yack you meaan like, vomit??? Thats gross:(
Did it get under the keyboard? It's prob. not the HD

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
How the hell did you manage to do that? Couldnt make it to the bathroom or whatever? Surely you couldve aimed for the floor or something?

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Most likely the hard drive. A few years back I spilled an entire gallon of iced tea on my open iBook. The only problem was it needed a new HD (which I just happened to have on hand anyway).

So I opened the unit up, took the HD out, cleaned everything I could see with rubbing alcohol (though I'm sure there's a teensy bit of tea in there somewhere still) put the new HD in and she powered up. Works to this day.

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
About 6 months ago, while using my Dell XPS M170 I was about to yack... I had a choice... hit the laptop, or aim elsewhere.... I aimed elsewhere, which tossed me out of the chair into a wall corner which sliced my head.... 8 stitches later I'm back home cleaning up the mess.

My laptop was fine though...

Never yack on the computer....

CiBoys

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
San Francisco
CyberPrey said:
About 6 months ago, while using my Dell XPS M170 I was about to yack... I had a choice... hit the laptop, or aim elsewhere.... I aimed elsewhere, which tossed me out of the chair into a wall corner which sliced my head.... 8 stitches later I'm back home cleaning up the mess.

My laptop was fine though...

Never yack on the computer....
good call :D i wold have probably done the same

CiBoys

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
San Francisco
bep207 said:
just out of curiousity it would be funny to hear how this happened
Someone made a really nasty cocktail, besides the cocktail, all i had was water, so it shouldnt be bad :cool:

I hope is not my HD thats damaged ..sigh...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
CiBoys said:
Someone made a really nasty cocktail, besides the cocktail all i had was water, so it shouldnt be bad :cool:

Never mind all that stomach acid that came up with it... :rolleyes:

I'd guess the hard drive would be okay...if it's not, that's the least of your worries. I wouldn't be surprised if you've fried a fair bit of stuff in there. About the only thing you can do is take to a repair shop and have them look at it.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Many years ago my 4 year old son did a technicolor yawn all over the keyboard of our nice new lime green iMac (see below). My wife spent many hours trying to clean it but we never did get it to work - cost $150 for a replacement keyboard. Can't really see that an adult wouldn't have enough control to turn away but I guess it depends what was in the cocktail! :(

CiBoys

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
San Francisco
WildCowboy said:
Never mind all that stomach acid that came up with it... :rolleyes:

I'd guess the hard drive would be okay...if it's not, that's the least of your worries. I wouldn't be surprised if you've fried a fair bit of stuff in there. About the only thing you can do is take to a repair shop and have them look at it.
alright, i took it to the apple store, they are asking $800 for the repair, look like a MBP for me. i just hope that i can take the HD out and it still works :( :( :mad: :mad: :( :(

p.s. i still have my beloved 12"PB
is a sad sad day for me

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
flyguy451 said:
Many years ago my 4 year old son did a technicolor yawn all over the keyboard of our nice new lime green iMac (see below). My wife spent many hours trying to clean it but we never did get it to work - cost $150 for a replacement keyboard. Can't really see that an adult wouldn't have enough control to turn away but I guess it depends what was in the cocktail! :(
$150 for a keyboard???? :eek:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
CiBoys said:
alright, i took it to the apple store, they are asking $800 for the repair
That's probably just to cover the overalls they'll need to wear to avoid contact with some nasty gunge. Sorry, in all seriousness, that stinks... :eek: :eek: I mean that's a rip-off.

Take the drive out and put it in a 2.5" enclosure and see if it's not completely. dead. Getting to the HD on an iBook is a task in itself though. Have a look at iFixit.com guide for replacing a hard drive. You never know, you may end up bringing it back to life. I don't think you could even eBay the rest for parts as it's damaged and tainted goods :(

Still at least you get a new MBP - maybe wait a month for Merom though ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
dsharits said:
$150 for a keyboard???? :eek:
Absolutely...AppleCare replaced mine when one of my keys went dodgy. It's about 50% for the part, 50% for the labor. Good thing my repair was covered...

reburrcca

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2006
Bay Area, CA
CiBoys said:
Someone made a really nasty cocktail, besides the cocktail all i had was water, so it shouldnt be bad :cool:

You ALMOST belong on Flava of Love. NotthatIwatchoranything.

:eek:

CiBoys

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
San Francisco
dex22 said:
So let's start the bidding.

I offer $25 + shipping for your dead iBook.

HAHHAHH!! funny, thats how much i bought an iBook real Bezel for to make my wall lamp. The LCD is at its perfect condition, is not like theres any gunk on it. i clean it up pretty good.

September 12 it is.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
WildCowboy said:
Third, it's "it's." :rolleyes:

You beat me to it! I just love it when you get to correct the "smart guy" when he's trying to show how smart he is by correcting someone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.