Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichyRich50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Hello,

I want to buy a Macbook Pro 15 Radeon Pro 555X but I can't decide on i7 Processor or i9 Processor.

2.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz

or

2.9GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz

Ok... so here is what I want long term, I want to have an all around gaming/3D editing computer. I am planning to buy a eCPU (Razer CORE V2 w/ NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080) for my macbook pro to cover my heavy gaming necessity at home. (Down the road). On that note, Is the i9 worth the $400 extra??? I'm not much of a computer nerd, so I don't know how much more power I will be getting with the i9 or is i7 enough. Please keep in mind that I will be upgrading to that Razer core v2.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
For your use case, no, i9 will bring no advantage.

P.S. and really, get a gaming PC. Will cover both gaming and 3D editing much better.

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
you might want to look at the Razer Blade: razer-blade

You not being a computer nerd you will have to install windows via bootcamp then you will have to do some hacky shtuff to get your eGPU to work in windows and then the drivers for your eGPU will be hopelessly outdated because that's how Apple runs. Additionally, if you don't us an AMD GPU it is not supported by apple so you have to do more hacky shtuff to use your 1080 in macOS and windows.

RichyRich50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
you might want to look at the Razer Blade: razer-blade

You not being a computer nerd you will have to install windows via bootcamp then you will have to do some hacky shtuff to get your eGPU to work in windows and then the drivers for your eGPU will be hopelessly outdated because that's how Apple runs. Additionally, if you don't us an AMD GPU it is not supported by apple so you have to do more hacky shtuff to use your 1080 in macOS and windows.
Thanks for the replay, I had no idea it would be that difficult long term. I have been looking at the new Razer 15 still indecisive tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.