IBM Announces the PowerPC 970MP

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Japanese sites are reporting on the "Power Everywhere Forum 2005" conference which takes place today in Japan. IBM's presentation provides official details on the PowerPC 970MP processor which has been long rumored. The specs appear to include (presentation slide):

970MP
Dual core
1.4-2.5GHz
Each core has 1MB L2 cache (2MB total)
One core can be swiched off for low power operation

Also Low Power 970FX processors were described:

1.2GHz at 13W
1.4GHz at 13W
1.6GHz at 16W

An official press release can be found (Japanese).

970MP based PowerMacs have been expected for later this year. Despite Apple's recent announcement for plans to switch to Intel based Macs, at least one or two more PowerPC based PowerMacs are due before the switch.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Good! We've got two years of PowerPC Macs ahead of us, so new chips late is better than new chips never :)

(And I don't think an Apple event is expected tonight--that seems to have been a misunderstanding about the color iPods from last week.)

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Some nice processors there, the new PowerMacs (MP) and iMacs (FX) should be quite nice machines.

Interesting to see though that IBM have announced them before Apple announced then, obviously something that Apple would not want. I wonder if IBM simply doesn't care anymore.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
well, I wonder if IBM would keep apple of it's selling list, just to spite them. Make them suffer for going to Intel? I know it probably wouldn't happen, because IBM can still make money off of Apple in the mean time, but just a thought.

But, way to go IBM... I also like the fact that each core has double the current cache. That will really help things out.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I imagine that Apple's relationship with IBM is under contract. IBM also isn't going to give up sales.

OK. So they are announced. How ong until they are available?

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
wow, this came out of left field. I'll admit I completely forgot about the dualcores on june 6th.

The real question is if this will bring the G5s up into the same playing field as the high-end x86 dual cores. Maybe that will allieviate some of the buying scare.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I can't see Apple bothering to put a G5 in their laptops this late into the game. Aren't they expected to be the first InteliMacs announced in early '06? That'd be two major revisions in 6 months or so.
Seems more likely to me that two of these new 970MP's will go into the PowerMacs and Xserves in the near future, with a single 970MP going in the iMac line.

Regardless, it is nice to see new PPC chips from IBM.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
powermac666 said:
I can't see Apple bothering to put a G5 in their laptops this late into the game. Aren't they expected to be the first InteliMacs announced in early '06? That'd be two major revisions in 6 months or so.
Seems more likely to me that two of these new 970MP's will go into the PowerMacs and Xserves in the near future, with a single 970MP going in the iMac line.

Maybe they will put the 970FX into the Powerbook before the switch to mac. If not at least hopefully in the ibooks.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
powermac666 said:

I think you're right. That's probably why those IBM execs were grumpily saying that heat wasn't the issue, because they knew these chips would never make it into PowerBooks.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Hmmm .... I wonder what this means for all of us who are considering purchasing. I'm in the market for a Powerbook but I can't seem to make up my mind.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
miloblithe said:
I imagine that Apple's relationship with IBM is under contract. IBM also isn't going to give up sales.

OK. So they are announced. How ong until they are available?
Yeah Apple couldn't be stupid enough to not have a conract with their only main chip supplier.

I'm also waiting to see how long until they hit the market. I'm won't be buying one but I would like to see one in action as well as it's price. I think it will also be interesting if Apple chooses to go Dual Core Dual Processor. I'd imagine that would be on fast machine if it's running at 2.5 Ghz.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
powermac666 said:
I can't see Apple bothering to put a G5 in their laptops this late into the game. Aren't they expected to be the first InteliMacs announced in early '06?
Steve said the first Intel Macs would be out by WWDC 2006, and the transition would be almost complete by WWDC 2007. He also said the low end machines would be first to transition, so presumably no Intel PowerMac until June 2007 or later.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This may be good news for us. I will be cautiously optimistic until Apple makes use of this release by IBM. The PowerPC 970MP if used by Apple could just be the thing to again boost sales until the transition to Intel.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
iDM said:
Will these possibly be used in the PowerBooks since it mentions the ability to turn off on the cores for lower power consumption??
I don't think there's anyway we'll see these in Powerbooks, especially since they should be one of the first computers to use Intel chips.