iBook Clamshell love thread

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by LordOfTheMacs, May 6, 2009.

1. LordOfTheMacs macrumors member

Hey all,
    I was wondering if I was the only person who uses a clamshell at all. I use a 366/576mb/10gigHDD to surf, play itunes with my Soundsticks, play DVd's on the go, check Mail, and use Word. Upgrading it with 576 megs of ram from 320 really helps. Feel free to share your Clamshell stories and opinions, upgrade tips, modding projects and your Clammie names (mine is Lil' Clammie and the iMac G5 is Stevie;))Long live the Clamshell and all who use one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I have a couple of clamshells, one Lime 466SE, maxed out RAM, 60 GB HD, and one 366 Graphite, fairly stock.

I love them, coolest looking laptop EVER! Unfortunately, don't find much use for them, GPU is just too limiting. Will probably put them up for sale soon, can't afford to keep stuff just to have.

3. LordOfTheMacs thread starter macrumors member

I use mine as my main laptop, and because they are so cool looking it seems so worth it. Do you have the Ram maxed out in the 466 Se? If not, i would do so because with your upgraded had drive it would feel like a much newer computer (as mine did) My dad uses a brand new MBP Unibody and says he notices no huge speed diference. Mom calls the indigo color "precious":eek:
    I can't bring myself to lookat an iBook G4. The other day I did,and Clammie got so mad he gave me the pinweel for two minutes!:)

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I have a 300 MHz Blueberry Clamshell. Just for looks mostly, as it refuses to work with my wireless adapters. (Working on that issue.) But it's a good machine, if not a a tad heavy.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Yeah, I maxed out the RAM. My main idea in obtaining these was for my kids to have a laptop to take on trips, play games, watch digital movies. Kind of hit a stump, iTunes movies won't play, big pauses and stuttering.

6. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I've got a 366mhz one i used to use all time time...now it just sits in the collection...

BTW the clamshells get amazing battery life... I get 4+ hours!

7. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Airport

Funny, I just got a 300 orange and had an Airport card, threw it in and it sees the network but refuses the password?

Running 10.2

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I always wanted one. Ever since the class below us in school all got one for free for a school project, but we didn't. Damn I was jealous seeing them all walk about with the spiffy clamshell ibooks.
    I always wanted the green :eek:

9. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I picked up my 366 indigo in late summer 2003 for a little more than $400. First thing I had to do was get a battery and 256mb of RAM for it and about 2 weeks later the logicboard died. This ended up costing another $400 (the shop that diagnosed it took it upon themselves to fix it without my consent :mad: ) and it worked fine for a long time after that. I opened up the screen and made the logo on the back glow and everything. Well, after years of service the battery has been completely fried for about 3 years now, the sound gave out completely, the CD drive reads discs when it feels like it, the screen is really dim, and the power port is getting flaky. Aside from all those things, it still boots up and runs 10.4 and sees use about 2x a week.

Attached Files:

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

nice notebook collection. I'm just one pismo away from having the same lot as you. Real shame about the ibook dying. The blueberry one i just bought my girlfriend seems to have a dodgy trackpad (every now and then it thinks you re touching it when you aren't!).

11. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Im thinking about trying to get one of these and see if I can last a week using it as a main notebook (the things Ill do to get attention from Windows users...)

12. LordOfTheMacs thread starter macrumors member

Well Chris, MY CLAMSHELL IS MY MAIN LAPPY!:D It is quite fun. Once a guy came up to me and said, "Whoa. The Macbook comes in blue now?"I told him to check the AppleStore, they should be there:D

Whoever gets 4 hour battery life, I get 3.5 hours. The EBay guy calls this a "well-worn battery"

13. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

me too, just got office 2001 for my clamshell and now it is truly my main portable. Really weird, but all the girls in uni want one, so its a good job I just bought one for my girlfriend too! :D

14. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'd use one for a week without giving it a second thought. However, if you're just looking at buying one, I really would suggest going for the 466MHz models with DVD-ROM drives. I really wish mine had that extra 100MHz, especially under Tiger. The DVD drive just makes it much easier to install software and you can do movies obviously.

15. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I have a blueberry 300 also, theese are very tough machines. I was playing with the handle swinging it around one day and it flew out of my hand. It was fine not even a scuff if that had happened to my macbook.......

16. bettyb macrumors newbie

is anyone selling their clamshell? dsnort?

please let me know! i'm lookin' to buy one!

17. Chimpy macrumors 6502

I have an Orange Clamshell that I'm going to use for my daughter - I need to get it upgraded a bit, though.

18. macgeek18 macrumors 65832

macgeek18

I have a 300Mhz Blueberry clamshell with 160MB RAM and a 3.2 GB HD and i bought an Airport for it,It's still running OS 9.couldn't get anything better on it with a dead CD drive.:(

19. macgeek18 macrumors 65832

macgeek18

i used to pack my Blueberry everywhere!I got some interesting comments too!But ya,once I get my 466Mhz Graphite working great tomorrow I'll be taking it every where again!!!:D

20. bainesajay macrumors member

to b or not to b

You may have to downgrade your wireless network to be compatible with 802.11 b . Most newer Airports run on G only or G/N mixed mode. Some are only N now as well. Weird to think of b as something of the past.

21. macgeek18 macrumors 65832

macgeek18

I finished my Clamshell!!!!!It's now 466Mhz graphite SE in a Indigo case with a 256MB card in it with the 64MB internal and a DVD drive and a 80GB HD and Airport!!! and 10.3 it's going to bv\e a good computer.!!!!Pics later!:D And a 4 hour battery!Oh,the reason I switched cases was because the Graphite was in bad shape.

22. macgeek18 macrumors 65832

macgeek18

here's the geekiest thing I've done in a while.Installing OS 9 on a taken apart clamshell so I can put the HD in another clamshell.:D It's pretty quick for only using the 64MB ram without the extra chip and stuff.I now will use the HD,mobo and CD drive in others now that I know it works well.:D

Attached Files:

23. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Just ordered:

A Airport Card,
    Battery,
    Yo-yo power supply for my iBook 300MHz Blueberry. I know the battery will come first so every day i'll turn it on a for a minute to make sure it doesn't die.

Later on probably @ Christmas I'll ask for a HDD and DVD ROM and Ram for it since i don't need it to work properly.

Oh and since I'm geeky my Dog Posed for Apple back in the day and he didn't gain a winkle!!

Attached Files:

24. macgeek18 macrumors 65832

macgeek18

I now have 2 completely running and working iBooks.:D But I had to reinstall OSX 10.1 to get them working properly and now I can't connect to the WiFi with my airports in each.Anyone know the reason why???:confused:I also want
    Safari,anyone know how too get it on OSX 10.1???