iBook vs MacBook!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bluedoggiant, Mar 12, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Compare the MacBook to the iBook, talk about everything related, screen size bezels, enjoy!

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Ummm... I don't know how to start.

Intel > PPC?

3. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Oh god I thought this was over in the Post your Setups thread, but jesus christ its coming back to haunt me. Ugh...

MacBook is better. Period. Faster processor, larger (and much better quality screen), cool keyboard, available in black or white.

Damn.

4. sananda macrumors 68020

5. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

macbook is way better than the iBook. For one, it is faster in my opinion, and it is much more better looking.

I once had one of my cats step on my keyboard, and a few of the keys just fell off really easily, that's not the cas with this. I have my dogs run across my lap and onto the keyboard many times and it's still sharp as it first was. I am still satisfied with my macbook after 2 years

6. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

That they do. The MacBook looks nice and everything, but when you open it up, it just seems...off somehow. Maybe its because I've not once used a widescreen computer extensively since ever, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I don't know.

I still want one over an iBook, though. :)

7. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

the 12" ibook and powerbook were horrid. i mean the keys were right on the edge, you could pluck them out.

8. mr.light macrumors 6502

I love the better speed etc. on the MacBook. But aside from the spacebar that occasionally does not work I am hesitant to give up my iBook G4. I do not like the wide, glossy screen on the MacBook. I like the proportions of the iBook. Put the advancements of the MacBook in the iBook and I'd grab one for sure. MacBook pro on the other hand.... Getting one in August.:)

9. JDR macrumors regular

I have a 14'' iBook G4. I definitely prefer this matte screen compared to the MB's 13'' glossy. The only reason that I'm going to give this up in the next few months is because one, the hard drive is too small for me; two, I've had a lot of hardware problems with this particular computer; and three, the battery life is at 7% health two years later :( .

I'll be getting the MBP, and won't even consider the MB. I'm just kind of against that computer in general.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Have you used one for just one day?

#1, who in their right mind would try to do that?

And #2, I disagree. While the keys are a bit flimsy, they are by no means "easy" to take out.

I'm the one who starts the flame wars on these kinds of things, and I dont try to do it intentionally, I just have views that many people disagree with, and they feel the need to "correct" my personal opinion.

So, I'm gonna get all my flame bait out of the way right now.

PPC > Intel
    MacBook is too wide
    iBook is far superior in design terms, and may be better as far as architecture goes too. (That's not to say I wouldn't buy a "MacBook in an iBook" though.)

Thank you for reading, and let the endless war begin.

11. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Ok, reasonable, but I have to say, your pink font is a ™ of you lol, sorry, i just had to say that:p.

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It's supposedly purple, but I guess people have different perception of colors. :)

Hey what can I say, I like to be different.

13. pscoble macrumors 6502

Wow, A lot of previous iBook owners dislike the MB, like me... I have to say I prefer my old iBooks design to the MB by far. However I like my MBP better then the iBook :).

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If I could combine the MB's thinness with the 12" (or 14") iBook's proportions + high res screens (1280x960, 1440x1050), and fit the Intel hardware into the PPC shells, I'd totally do it.

15. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

wow....i use ibooks at school. they are the most horrid laptops i have ever used from apple. Personally, I also believe they are the cheapest feeling/looking laptop also.
    and whats you argument for PPC > Intel????

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

The clamshells were kind of hard to use and the white G3's had some serious logic board problems, but the G4 captures the Era of White™ perfectly, IMO.

PPC > Intel is just my personal opinion, I think a Mac just isn't a Mac without PPC, plus I think it had a lot of life in it, if IBM and Motorola could've got their s**t together.

17. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I love my little 12" iBook G4 to death; it could definitely stand to lose a little thickness, but otherwise I much prefer the iBook proportions to that of the Macbook. My iBook is much more comfortable to use when standing (I'll often have it balanced in one hand as I type with the other) than the wider Macbook, but I'll admit that I might actually prefer the Macbook keyboard if I got used to it.

18. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Macbook looks better.
    The iBook looks like a square.

19. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

You're right, cuz it is a square!

I'm using a family macbook here now, beautiful small machine, my teacher has an ibook, the grey/white design, eww, fatness, no magnetic latch, annoying placement of the speakers, huge ugly power button, and old school pc italic fonted letters on the keys that look kinda bad to. IMO, the macbook beats in everyway.

20. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Love the size of the iBook, but prefer the specs of the Macbook, and i need windows for uni so i guess it has to be Macbook!

If I could live without windows i'd prob have bought a cheaper iBook. :D

21. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok here is the run down...

The old Ti Book is by far the best laptop Apple has ever made, period.

The ibook's and powerbook's were ok, the 12 inch powerbook being the best out of all of them. The ibook's being way to slow.

I still prefer the macbook over the macbook pro because of the size. I like the small size of the macbook, even the 15 inch macbook pro seems much larger than a 15 inch tibook. No idea why.

22. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The iBooks are actually rectangular; the aspect ratios are slightly closer to 1 than those of the MB, which themselves are slightly closer to 1 than the 15" MBP, which is slightly closer to 1 than the 17" MBP. Interestingly enough, the most squareish Apple laptop currently sold is the Macbook Air.

23. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

Well the ibook had much better hard ware, it simply is better made. Processor wise though the macbook is miles ahead. I am shocked at how slow my old g4 ibook is compared to the macbooks. I also prefer the wide screen set up on my macbook vs the square lcd on the ibooks. I also like the fact that the macbooks are easier to take apart than the ibooks were.

24. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I have a iBook G3 800mhz with 640meg. It's still a good machine, although they had MB problems, the exterior feels more sturdy than my Macbook. The palm rest is aluminum and the keys are transparent and have a great feel. I do like the flush and sealed look of the Macbook, but there is something about the iBook I still love.

Overall, the macbook is better, it's faster, dual core, iSight, bigger harddrive, more ram.

Bad things about the iBook: 1024x768 (I like widescreen), low memory, small HD.

25. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

What? Every iBook since the original Tangerine and Blueberry in 1999 have used VAG Rounded, which is what all Apple keyboards use now.