iBooks and Jailbreak Issues

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hch3psa, Dec 17, 2010.

1. hch3psa macrumors member

hch3psa

I searched and I don't think this has been covered.

I'm running iPhone 4 on 4.1 via AT&T. I jailbroke a while ago using GP. I've had almost zero issues except for today. Last night I updated to the new version of iBooks on my iPhone. I didn't mess around with it until right now. When I go into iBooks and try and open a purchased book it gives me an error saying:

"There is a problem with the configuration of your iPhone. Please restore with iTunes and reinstall iBooks."

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I uninstalled iBooks and reinstalled OTA and I'm still getting the same issue. I really don't want to reinstall the OS and everything, in fact I won't. Is there any chance I can save my books and still read them? Any work arounds? Thanks!

2. jthomp macrumors regular

I'm jailbroken on 4.1 and upgraded to the newest version of iBooks.. Besides the ungodly slowness of iBooks itself, I haven't had any issues...

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Same here

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

iBooks is workin fine here after updated as well, something may had gone wrong with your installation, had nothing to do with your Jailbreak, no everything that goes wrong with your phone is due to Jailbreak. Do what it says, remove and re-install.

5. hch3psa thread starter macrumors member

hch3psa

Thanks everyone! I feel better. I'll remove it and try to reinstall via iTunes.

I didn't assume it was because of the Jailbreak but I thought it could be a factor. It's good to know that other JBs aren't having issues. It's probably just an isolated incident.

6. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue right now! iOS 4.1 jailbreak. The app opens fine but when opening a book, it says that error. What did you do to fix it?

7. hch3psa thread starter macrumors member

hch3psa

Haven't fixed it yet. I have to wait to reinstall until I get home after work. Will post my findings. :)

8. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Thank you! Phew... It works again. I deleted iBooks from the iPhone and reinstalled it directly from iTunes (just rechecked it under the "Apps" tab under iTunes).
    Initially when I was not able to re-sync, I just tried removing the App and reinstalling it from the App store. It did not work and had the same error.

Hope this helps!

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ohhhhh, that's the secret. Thanks! I haven't been able to open one of my books either.

Can a mod add [SOLVED] in the title for future reference?

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This didn't solve the problem for me. The thing is it only happens on the default Winnie-the-Pooh book (I've got a 2 year old). By the way, I've had this issue over several firmware upgrades. I'm hoping the only answer isn't to restore as new.

11. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

12. istanbul05 macrumors member

I am also getting this error after i just bought a book off the store. I tried to reinstall but i am still getting the same message. Anyone got any tips on what to do?

13. Kayan macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that there is some functionality in the newest update of iBooks that requires 4.2 software, that's why I haven't downloaded it yet...maybe this is the cause of the error messages.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm on 4.2.1. it's happened with every release since 4.0 for me. I even went as far as deleting the book in the file system (var/mobile/Library/books [I think]) because it doesn't when you delete it from iBooks, deleting the iBooks plist, syncing without any books/PDFs and it still won't open it after redownloading it in iTunes and resyncing everything.

The odd thing is is that sometimes it doesn't download all the way (gets to 99% and stalls), sometimes it downloads it fine and will open it once and then not again and sometimes it'll download it fine but not open it at all. I'm baffled.

15. Grinchus macrumors newbie

Happened to my jb iphone 3G too. It was jb with redsn0w 0.9.6b3... The books appeared on my iPhone while connected to iTunes but they weren't there when I opened iBooks... Restored my iPhone to iOS 4.2.1 and jb with redsn0w 0.9.6b6... And now everything is ok... I can open my books and pdfs in iBooks...

16. sand0s macrumors member

i too am experiencing this problem on both my iPad on 4.2.1 (jailbroken with redsn0w) and my iPhone 4 on 4.1 (jailbroken with greenpois0n). both are jailbroken with different tools, but the same exploit (limera1n). now, what i've noticed is that repeatedly trying to open a book and dismissing this message will eventually open the book. annoying, but it does work. what this tells me, i think, is that this really is a problem somewhere with the configuration of iBooks. it could somehow be jailbreak related (i've been jailbreaking since 1.x so i'm not apt to blame every little problem on a jailbreak, i just know it can happen), but i think there has got to be some creative way of loading iBooks itself and / or the books that might solve this issue. i just haven't really played around with it yet... what i refuse to do is restore and re-sync and after a few hours discovering that the problem is still there, which i'm certain it will be. this just pisses me off.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

What do you know, that does work! Thanks for ... somewhat of a solution.

18. learntofly83 macrumors newbie

Had this problem, removed ibooks from Lockdown Pro (which was password protecting it) and it appears to work fine now after 10 or so restarts

19. hch3psa thread starter macrumors member

hch3psa

Okay, so to give an update on what I'm experiencing. I uninstalled iBooks off my phone. I went in through iTunes and took the old version of iBooks I still had on my laptop and reinstalled it. I'm having absolutely no issues. All books are working and I'm not getting any errors. I will say that I tried a few different times via wifi, 3g and edge to reinstall the newest version of iBooks with no success. I had no idea so many people were having issues too. It really makes me think it's a glitch within iBooks.

Has anyone else found any little tricks? I wish we knew the real problem.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I tired that too but it didn't work for me. Tis annoying.

21. tw23 macrumors newbie

im having the same problem as you guys! I'm going to try to install an older version... if that doesnt work, I'm going to try to jailbreak again with redsn0w 9.6b6 (or something like that [the newest one])

22. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

The problem came back again! I do not know what is messing up....Is Apple trying to block their apps from jailbroken phones?

23. tw23 macrumors newbie

the books work on a non-jailbroken device (tried it out myself)
    results:
    iBooks not working on:
    4.2.1 jailbroken with b6
    4.1 jailbroken with b6
    4.1 jailroken with b4
    4.1 jailbroken with b3
    4.1 jailbroken with b2

idk what is up...

24. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

update: steps to recreate the issue - 1) open iBooks (after reinstalled from the Mac) 2) close app 3) open Cydia 4) then close Cydia 5) make sure that iBooks is closed from the app switcher (double tap home button) 6) reopen iBooks and the error is recreated

25. heathpitts macrumors member

I'm having the issue here as well on a jailbroken 4.2.1 iPad. I guess this will officially make me stop using iBooks for now. I normally use the Kindle app but I do like how iBooks lists how many pages are left in a chapter.