iCloud Drive MIA from iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by cassini007, Sep 18, 2014.

1. cassini007 macrumors member

So... Among the other issues with iOS 8, iCloud Drive is completely missing in action.

1) I've already enabled iCloud Drive through Yosemite public beta 3.

2) iCloud Drive is enabled on all devices running iOS 8.

3) Never got prompt to enable iCloud Drive upon upgrading from 7 to 8, probably because already enabled through Yosemite beta.

4) Open Pages, Numbers, or Keynote on iOS 8. Select "Enable iCloud" at the initial prompt. Get a blank screen with option to create new document. But I know there should be documents there because they show up inside the Pages, Numbers, and Keynote folders on iCloud Drive.

5) Saving a new document in Pages/Numbers/Keynote on iOS 8 does not bring up anything resembling an iCloud Drive save dialogue box. It simply saves the document locally within the app.

5) Reboot iOS 8 devices. Same issue.

6) Disable / Re-enable iCloud Drive on iOS 8. Still nothing.

Very frustrating. If I am missing something here, please advise. Thanks.

2. Richardgm, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

That must be issue with the apps themselves.

Dropbox has included iCloud Drive and it works (well enough).

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Did you update the Pages/Numbers/Keynote apps to the latest version that supports iCloud Drive?

4. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

Yes - at least the App Store says so.

----------

I presume, but with Apple's own apps? The files also show up correctly on iCloud.com. If it is an issue with Apple's apps, I couldn't be the only one having this problem.

5. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Ok, I just installed Pages and I see my Pages documents in the app. (Same files in iCloud drive on the web and PC)

I can't however, see other iCloud Drive stuff.

I suggest Settings - Pages

Also to answer #5, they haven't implemented that feature yet.

6. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, looks like the "iCloud" option is enabled. But when I open Pages, I just see a big grey background saying "No Documents".

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

And Settings - iCloud - iCloud Drive - is on?

8. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

It is on, and Pages, etc. is also on underneath.

I just tried creating a test document on Yosemite, and it shows up on iCloud drive web. So this has to have something to do with the iOS app, or iOS 8 itself.

If anyone else is having this issue, please share.

9. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Ouch. Sounds like you encountered a bug. Mine works fine.

Tried reinstalling the app?

10. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Apple didn't implemented the ***** iCloud document picker in Pages/Numbers/Keynote , they just update them to support iCloud Drive, but for now they work like before, only inside their own app folder.

Hopefully Apple will update them again soon.

11. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

Will try doing that and see.

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

This happened to me and my existing documents reappeared a little while later. I wonder if there's some transfer process that's just overloaded (I would still back up the documents via iCloud.com though!).

But obviously that doesn't solve the wider issue that Pages et al have been updated with a poor shadow of the actual iCloud Drive document picker.

13. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

Going through a slow re-install on my iPad mini. The old iPad 2 also still doesn't show any docs/folders, and the app has been left open for a while.

14. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Have you gone into Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Make sure Pages etc is enabled?

Do you have any other apps that use iCloud Drive such as iMovie or 1password to see if they work? iMovie will actually open up a popup that shows you all of your iCloud Drive files like we saw in the keynote.

15. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

OK, so I'm not going crazy. I've been wondering where the hell I was supposed to access that. Googling "How to use iCloud Drive Pages" or anything of the sort only comes up with "OMG DON'T ENABLE ICLOUD DRIVE WHATEVER YOU DO!!!" stories.

16. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

Yes ... and I just re-installed the apps. Nada :(

17. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Ouch, mate. This is when I'd call Apple and complain.

18. wovel macrumors 68000

The strange thing is, they worked that way with iCloud drive in the previous version. Nothing iCloud drive related appears to have changed in yesterdays update to the iCloud apps. I wonder why they mention it in the release notes.

----------

Some times it takes a long time (really long time) for the documents to start showing up. I had to leave numbers open for more than 5 minutes before the files started showing up on my iPad 2.

----------

Interesting. All drop box does on my 5s is crash unfortunately.

19. dimension6 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a way to actually access iCloud Drive files in iOS? It's pretty clear that Apple has no intention of actually making a file browser iOS app (obviously thanks to someone's stubborn and misguided Cloud Strategy). I remember reading that Apple will release APIs to support third party access, but I don't see any evidence of any third party apps that actually do this...

For what it's worth, I can open Numbers/Pages files just fine, so long as they are present in their dedicated folders. Document Picker appears to be completely MIA, and it would be great to be able to open things like pdf and zip files.

20. wovel macrumors 68000

I think the consensus is there are no apps currently using it. Apple didn't say a word about it when they updated iWork yesterday.

21. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I only know thar Dropbox has the ability to pull things from iCloud Drive.

22. Lerxt macrumors regular

I had the same problem with the same setup.

My solution was to leave pages open and after an eternity it started populating itself with my documents.

23. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, that's the next step, but I think I may have pinpointed the issue.

The closest thing you can get to a "file browser" for iCloud Drive in iOS 8 is the "Manage iCloud Drive" functionality in settings. This menu is supposed to list all the apps, documents, and folders present in iCloud Drive, as well as backups for iOS devices.

When I go there on an iPhone with a fresh install of iOS 8, it lists all the files and folders correctly, by name. But when I go there on the iPad, which was upgraded - not a fresh install - all the folders show up as "Encrypted Folder" and files as "Encrypted File." I can still see the sizes of these files, and delete them if I choose, but there is no way to tell which is which as the file names won't display.

This may have something to do with the issue I am describing at the top. I can think of no way to fix this at the moment, other than to do a restore.

24. TimStait macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that iCloud drive would work like dropbox. and the iCloud drive page on apple.com gives that impression from the photos too. But I can't find any way to see the screen they show in their images....

Screen grab from http://www.apple.com/uk/icloud/icloud-drive/?cid=wwa-uk-kwg-features-com

Has anyone managed to get this working? I have Yosemite PB3 and iOS 8, but can't make this happen?

Attached Files:

25. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

If you mean a full-fledged file browser, the consensus seems to be that there is no such feature at this time.