Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
For some reason the last few months my Apple Music has been a disaster as far as Metadata and tagging has gone.

I have iCloud Music library which seems to be the issue but this is not a problem I’ve ever had before. I’ve kept an almost perfectly tagged iTunes / Apple Music library for over a decade and now I seem to be paying for a service (iCloud Music Library / iTunes Match) that is breaking it

I’ve manually added music and changed the tags in iTunes. But no matter what I do or what order I do it in the tags always seem to revert to what they were when imported, and worse of all deleted playlists always return and some current playlists are just duplicated. I even bought an app to tag the metadata before I import it and only have to add ratings in Apple Music but even than the ratings I add don’t seem to stick.

I have a folder of playlists right now containing 12 playlists I haven’t edited in over a year that just keep duplicating, It's up to 60 playlists when it should be 12. Deleted playlists just return no matter what.

Even I song bought a song iTunes store keeps reverting back to the artist even though I’ve changed it multiple times. Another issue I had never had before.

I can’t figure out what the correct workflow is to add new music or update current music without a disaster. I’ve tried adding music and right away editing the metadata, I’ve tried adding the music and waiting a few hours and editing it.

I’ve tried unchecking Sync Library adding the music, editing the data, then clicking Sync Library.

I don’t have any other devices or computers where iCloud Music Library is turned on and I always sync my Phone Manually for music so I have no clue what device is overriding the computer for the “master” data.

A few weeks ago I signed out of iCloud & iTunes on my 3 computers, 2 ipads, 3 AppleTVs and 1 phone and it seemed to fix the issue for about 3 days but Its occurred again and it not something that I want to really do every time I am adding new music to my local library.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
Same problem here - it's been going on since 12.1 release and no end in sight. Apparently it's a widespread issue impacting everyone. The only thing that seems to temporarily fix it is restarting your Mac - it'll work for an hour and then it reverts back to not syncing.

Reactions: Jigga Beef

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
"good" to know that there are others affected. I wonder if all bug fixes have been tabled while the native music app is being re-made. Good heads up on the re-starting the machine. I have unchecked Sync Library for now but will try and re-start + sync the changes later today. Thanks for the heads up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.