iCloud Photo Library issues in 8.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Stuke00, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I was using the iCloud Photo Library in the iOS 8 beta and I still had the option when 8.0.2 was released. I noticed now after updating to 8.1 that it is reuploading my entire library again. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Yea, it re-uploaded mine also. But seems to be working fine when it finished.

3. Stuke00 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mine is huge so far. 25GB. I am worried about duplicates and such. Both devices have around 750 photos and 200 videos. But under iCloud and Manage storage it says I have about 1300 photos. I guess I will wait it out and see.

4. patrickowtf macrumors member

can you explain to me how it works? does it remove the photos from my phone?

5. Stuke00 thread starter macrumors 68000

None of my photos were removed. It is just uploading my photos to iCloud.

6. patrickowtf macrumors member

so theyre still taking up storage space on your phone, correct?

7. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

So does it only get the optimized (smaller) versions that are from other devices? The ones that originated on that phone stay full sized?

8. Woodlandstar macrumors member

My libary is 37gb, and prior to 8.1 it was a slow jerky mess. Would take 10 seconds when scrolling out to year view, 15 seconds to save photo edits etc, crash constantly... Nearly to the point of just being unusable.
    8.1 however has completely smoothed it out though, it's snappy and very quick, exactly how I'd hoped it would be in the beginning.
    I'm using it with all my photos and videos stored on the device, and haven't yet chose the optimization method.

9. Stuke00 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I have full resolution stored. I also use Dropbox etc to backup my photos and unsure if they will not get backed up at full resolution or not if I choose to optimize my space.

10. Woodlandstar macrumors member

It's up to you, you can choose to keep full resolution versions on any device, or opt for optimized library's on either device instead.
    Depends on the capacity of your devices and the size of your libary.

----------

They are always backed up in full resolution regardless of settings.

11. Nozuka macrumors 68000

can you guys access the library on the web? i dont see it..

12. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

My wife had the same issue with her 27G library... maybe even worse. It was often close to 45 seconds or a minute to zoom out. I've installed 8.1 on her iPad and it seems much smoother there, I'll update her iPhone later tonight and hopefully see the same improvements.

My library is only about 3G and I never saw those problems, but it looks like it may have just been an issue with huge libraries.

----------

It's on the iCloud beta web site...

beta.icloud.com/#photos

13. Woodlandstar macrumors member

I've just been onto this site and it says my photo libary is empty :(

14. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I had hoped my 6 plus would finally optimize my photos with the 8.1 update but so far no. With the option checked to optimize the photos, they are still full size on the device. As mentioned before, I have plenty of space for the full size versions but hoped to make this work so I could move photos over from other sources to add to the collection. So far, all I get for an option is full size on the device no matter what I tell it I want.

15. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Is there anything in your iCloud Photo Library? Before your pictures would appear there you would need to enable iCloud Photo Library on an iPhone or iPad with photos on it and then wait for that device to sync the photos to the cloud.

16. Woodlandstar macrumors member

Nvm it's working now. Looks good!

----------

Yes obviously

17. Shaddow825, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Tell that to my iphone. It's using the same amount of space as it was before I turned it on.

18. Woodlandstar macrumors member

I would think the optimization would take a while before it started to show on your device.

19. epphllps macrumors 6502

I have the issue of my phone not even uploading my photos. I have a 5S and it's just sitting at 115 photos. Not budging at all. I've turned it off and on. Restarted my phone. Anything I can think off. Anyone had this issue or any suggestions?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413837304.651343.jpg

20. flashflooder macrumors regular

It does take a little while, and I don't think it optimizes the entire library (at least not until you're running out of space and/or a certain amount of time has elapsed since the photo/movie was taken).

My question is this: I've had this enabled since the last iOS release, so my whole library is uploaded. How can it 're-upload' my libarary, as suggested by OP, if most of the photos on my device are now thumbnail-quality?

21. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Yea who knows. Nothing so far. Little more than 3 hours in so far.

22. flashflooder macrumors regular

You have to just turn on and kinda wait. There's no rhyme or reason as to when it uploads. Believe me, I was in your shoes when I first turned it on and tried everything I could think of to kickstart it. One day you'll wake up and it'll be done.

23. epphllps macrumors 6502

What is odd is that I'm only on wifi when at the gym and it has been stuck on "however many pictures are in my library" the entire time. I can be at the gym anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on what I'm doing. I would surely think that after 4-5 days a week at the gym I would have seen some progress lol.

24. flashflooder macrumors regular

I'm on WiFi almost 24/7 and it still took my library over 2 weeks to upload. This was on 8.0.2, so before everyone was hammering the servers. Like I said, there's no rhyme or reason to it all.

Now that it's all uploaded though, it seems to by syncing up daily (based on the "updated on..." time stamp within the Photos app)