iCloud Seems Boring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blorzoga, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Is it just me or does this whole music-in-the-cloud thing seem a bit boring? I mean, I have my music on my phone and my iPad and my computer. Is it really that exciting that I can access it from the cloud? I have plenty of storage space on my devices already. How many songs could one possibly have that they needed to store them in the "cloud".

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Lets wait to judge it after the presentation
    There may be far more to it than just this

3. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

That is a good point, one which I share. It does not make sense and I believe it won't be much of a deal, maybe Apple is launching this "revolutionary app" to make up for MAYBE the lack of a new phone. It's my opinion at least...

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tune in tomorrow and you'll see.

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

The thing that hasn't been announced yet is boring. OK. :)

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

How can something that has not been announced and we know no facts about be boring?

8. EddyP macrumors 6502

Personally I like the idea. It will make it easier with multiple computers. I am VERY interested in the amount of storage available as videos take up a LOT of space on my HD. I would like to put them all in the "cloud" so I have room to put windows back on my MBP.

Hopefully it lives up to my expectations. :)

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

wait until Apple announces what it will be ... every service and product is not for everyone

you may just very well like it

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

14GB of legit music (not counting videos) and a 16GB iPhone. That leaves 2GB for pictures, video I take and apps. Not happening. I selectively sync and would love the cloud.

11. bigjnyc, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Based on the rumors and speculation that I've heard so far I agree with the OP... But just because I dont find it exciting and wont really find a need for it that doesnt mean a bunch of other people wont.

12. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I have 16GB on my iPhone and my iPad. I made a huge mistake thinking that it would be enough space for me. I have around 50GB of music on my computer. I can't sync most of my music to my devices. To a person like me, iCloud is the solution to everything. I can't wait to get this, I don't even care how much it costs. I wanna be able to finally access all of my music on all my devices.

13. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Cloud streaming could be problematic for people stuck with 2GB data plans...

14. genexrocket macrumors regular

It's not supposed to be "exciting." It's just a new method of storing data for Apple.

15. collisos macrumors member

I don't see the appeal either, I enjoy having my music on my iPhone/Computer, I don't want to ever have to wait for it to connect to a cloud or need to have service to use that.

16. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

OP, I think you're missing the point of cloud storage in general. There are a few good things about cloud storage (not just icloud but cloud storage in general). You can have the same files across multiple computers and platforms, meaning you don't have to remember to copy a file to each one of your devices. It also serves as a great backup in the event something happens to one of your devices (if something happens you'll at least still have it in the cloud).
    An example of how that can be beneficial on a phone is the ability to save and sync to the cloud. For example, on my G2X I use Dropbox. I have all sorts of files saved on there like saved html advertisements for my company, resumes, pictures, videos, music, etc. I also have it so that any time I take a picture or shoot a video, it's uploaded to my dropbox (which automatically makes the files show up on my computer in the dropbox folder) automatically. I never have to worry about losing my pics or videos. Also, I can click files in my dropbox and generate links to them and send them to people which makes it very easy to share various types of files.
    All in all I think if icloud incorporates these types of features I think it will be a very good app/service to have. I'm curious to see what all features it will have.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The big question is how is it going to be implemented. And there are potentially huge drawbacks to storage in the cloud as well.

1. What happens when I'm on an airplane, in a tunnel, or in the middle of the fracking desert and don't have a signal? My phone has become a very expensive paperweight.

2. Data charges. With unlimited data seemingly going the way of the dodo bird, how much is it going to cost in data charges to have our media (music, movies, & apps) in the cloud and use them?

18. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Actually, that doesn't leave any room for pictures because the phone comes formatted with around 14.7 gigs :p.

19. The Doop macrumors member

This is the very thing that's forced me to hold onto my unlimited data plan. I could survive just fine with the 2GB plan for less $$. This may or may not be worth it, but we shall see. I'm rooting for Apple, but it could always end up being a turd.

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sounds boring, but Apple will find some way to make it sound enticing. Trust me on that one. Can't wait for tomorrow. (not really for iCloud, but more for iOS 5 and Lion)

21. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

What seems "boring" to me is Lion... I mean, Launch Pad (or whatever it is) seems cool, but other than that... it's just basically merging iOS with better incorporation of the apps. What else is different? Mind you I've hardly done any research but it just seems the same to me. I thought that "preview" we got last year was a joke. Of course, my excitement for new OS's was always stemmed from UI changes and such and not so much the functionality.

22. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

To those that say it sounds boring: I'd have to say that if done right icloud has a lot of potential to change the way your data is accessed and shared on your device. If they're smart they will also make it so that itunes sync to it through the cloud also (from a connected computer) so that it will give you the option of not having to be tethered to a computer to sync.

23. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Useless threads are also boring

Dont you think?

24. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

If iCloud it's only Music, then for me it will suck because I live in Argentina and probably it won't be available here. Notice that we don't even have iTunes Music Store, Just the App Store.

25. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

i dont think anything apple will announce will make us happy

face it they bring out incremental improvements not crazy updates

remember guys

copy and paste was a big deal at one of these events.
    :p