Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If I buy a 1tb device is it a big deal to supply 1tb cloud? I think you’ve more than paid for it.

That's an interesting perspective. Given the price premium Apple puts on storage, it seems like they could offer, say, a year of iCloud storage at a size that corresponds to your device's storage. Can't see it going on forever though.

Reactions: compwiz1202

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
If I buy a 1tb device is it a big deal to supply 1tb cloud? I think you’ve more than paid for it.
Im interested to know why you think you’ve more than paid for it?

If you didn’t pay for it in a separate transaction then Apple would have to increase the cost of the device upfront to cover the extra cost/loss of margin by including that storage. All you'd be doing is shifting an optional ongoing subscription to a fixed increase in upfront cost forcing every to pay it whether they wanted/needed it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn and akash.nu

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Everyday would be nice. Sometimes I'll get them every 5-10 seconds unless I go into settings and tap "OK." Only for the message to pop up again a few minutes later. The worst is when I am doing work on the phone and it pops up just as I was tapping the screen and messes me up.

This is exactly why I am annoyed about it. Every time I need to do something quick on my phone this **** pops up. Its UNREAL. its a full blown pop up ad...yet we have ad blockers on browsers. We need one on our iPhone itself now. Unreal.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
This is exactly why I am annoyed about it. Every time I need to do something quick on my phone this **** pops up. Its UNREAL. its a full blown pop up ad...yet we have ad blockers on browsers. We need one on our iPhone itself now. Unreal.

Or, alternatively you empty the space out as the overwhelming vast majority of folks here have suggested.

If only you had spent 10% of the time dealing with the issue as you have whining about it here, then the issue would be resolved.

Still, I guess by ignoring it you can continue to play the victim/persecution card.

SMH....

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Or, alternatively you empty the space out as the overwhelming vast majority of folks here have suggested.

If only you had spent 10% of the time dealing with the issue as you have whining about it here, then the issue would be resolved.

Still, I guess by ignoring it you can continue to play the victim/persecution card.

SMH....

oh so you are telling me instead of using the free 5gb I have for 5gb worth of stuff, I should turn the feature off because it comes with pop up advertisements? lol.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
You are here complaining that Apple is reminding you that your storage is almost full, upgrade now to keep saving. But you don't want to download your pix and stuff from iCloud to a computer. And you don't want to upgrade the free 5gb they give you as a courtesy. And yet here you are complaining about popups that are meant to help you, the masses. If you cant do those two things then deal with it you must.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
oh so you are telling me instead of using the free 5gb I have for 5gb worth of stuff, I should turn the feature off because it comes with pop up advertisements? lol.
I don't think anyone is telling you what you should do, majority of posts here are just suggestions on how to overcome what seems to be a big issue for you. Its up to you wether you take the suggestions on board or disregard them. We all understand that you are not happy that you have been given a warning about nearing your capacity for the free storage but no one can fix this but you. If you still want to use the free storage maybe you need to clear out some stuff.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

Where did I say turn it off? I said delete some files to relieve the pressure.

Not sure why you're fighting this. These emails WILL keep going through until you deal with the issue.

So, stop whining about it and deal with it. As the phrase goes, it's time to either ****, or get off the pot.

All the whining here won't make a scrap bit of difference to the situation and the overwhelming consensus here is that the majority of the folk here are not exactly sympathetic to your plight. So I'm really unsure just what you think you're achieving by continuing this 7 page, 1st world, gripe-a-thon (other than folk laughing at you).

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
OHH so to fix it we have to completely remove the "FREE" space we get? Ohhhh okay. I can't wait to hear the excuse from these Apple obsessed fanatics as to why this is a great idea by Apple.

let me guess...they are giving me the option to turn it off by not using it AT ALL even though we get free space? OKAY!
[automerge]1589604894[/automerge]
I didn't upgrade my iPhone for 4 years because I hate what Apple has become. Now that i finally gave in...I am annoyed by stupid **** like this every day. First he FORCED us to have u2's album...now he is forcing people to upgrade to avoid a POP UP AD?!?!??! WTF is this bs.
99 cents a month, really, you can’t afford that To get 50GB? I bet you 99 cents that you spend 50 times that much a month on Starbucks or soda pop or one meal at a restaurant. Here is an idea, sift through the change you get daily and pick out the pennies, put in a jar and at end of the month You will have enough for more storage.

Let’s analyze this and put it in perspective. You get multiple free software updates a year, Apple app updates for free, yet you complain that the free 5GB of storage is not enough. Consider removing some things from your phone, to get back to 5GB storage.

i must be a big spender , one of those 1% class, cuz I spend a whole $2.99 per month for the 200GB. Cant’t even get a Starbucks latte for that.
[automerge]1590549563[/automerge]
Google photos is free as all other major consumer facing Google services.
Plus with google services you get multiple google employees and contractors reviewing your photos for free as well. what’s not to like.😱

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I know this sounds crazy, but what if Apple removes this free 5GB tier entirely in the future? Sure, they do not need to deploy physical storage space for people who don’t use them, but removing 5GB tier saves Apple some real money as well. In turn, iCloud feature that involves storage will be turned off by default. To turn on, user need to pick a paid storage option to continue. Feels right to me to a bean counter company. ;)

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs

This thread has multiple options for you to use. You've chosen to keep complaining. We all know 5Gb for free is not very much and we all know there are alternatives with more free storage and alternatives with none. So either pony up a couple bucks more a month or change platforms I guess.

Reactions: HEK and 26139

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Let me know if there's a phone maker that sells a 1TB phone and also gives you 1TB cloud storage for free and for life. I'm sure people would be interested.

Have you also asked Microsoft why they don't give you more than 5GB of One Drive for free when you buy a Windows laptop?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
What I do is buy iTunes gift cards so I don't to see all these small charges on the credit card statement.

I do the same thing for Amazon Kindle.
I always forget that things like iCloud and AC+ use gift cards too. I will get them when I see them discounted or when they have deals. I don't know if either are still on, but there was one for 10% bonus when you loaded your Apple ID, and Target had a deal where you got a $25 Target Gift Card when you bought a $100 Apple Gift Card.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Apple will start having Ads in between your text messages and will require you to pay so you don't have to wait for ads and these guys will say "just pay its cool."
[automerge]1589619385[/automerge]
Apples next product...iPhone comes with a FREE Charger...but it only charges 50% of your phone...to get the remaining 50% pay $10 a month and if you don't, then we will constantly interrupt your charge so it takes longer to charge.

Or...

they'll ship your items half way across the country, it'll stop just short of the location and you'll get a pop up ad on your phone that says pay $5 to complete your shipping!

Why do you keep buying Apple products?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Why don’t you just pay the 99 cents, allow your iPhone to backup to iCloud (which you should want anyways), and move on with your life? You are spending a lot of time and effort complaining about this. It’s 3 cents a day. Relax.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Why don’t you just pay the 99 cents, allow your iPhone to backup to iCloud (which you should want anyways), and move on with your life? You are spending a lot of time and effort complaining about this. It’s 3 cents a day. Relax.
I have seen a decent chunk of people unwilling to spend on anything that is not absolutely necessary or grocery. So OP case isn’t really isolated. With that being said, I usually don’t give a **** to their attitude of valuing something as they are unhealthy and dangerous to the society.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
What I did before paying for more storage was sync my phone (or iPad) to my Mac then delete the backup on iCloud. Then resume the (much smaller) backups to iCloud. You might have to do this every 3-4 months depending upon your phone data stored. Also, don't enable iPhoto backup- do it on your computer.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
OP has a point but the reason they continue to display the pop up is to prevent you from losing data. So if you don’t care about losing data then turn off iCloud.
Exactly, the next thing that will probably happen is that he will need to restore his phone from backup and then realize his phone hasn't been backed up since last July. :p

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
What I did before paying for more storage was sync my phone (or iPad) to my Mac then delete the backup on iCloud. Then resume the (much smaller) backups to iCloud. You might have to do this every 3-4 months depending upon your phone data stored. Also, don't enable iPhoto backup- do it on your computer.

Which brings us to the next issue. Have seen a post from OP regarding USB connection to computer, not sure if phone is newer than computer or vice versa. Will be interesting to see OP weigh in on this

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I just don’t get the motivation behind saving .80 pence. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, seriously?!

It is wrong to pay $1 per month to get rid of a stupid pop-up ad.

The pop-up bothered me so much, I paid the money anyway. If it wasn’t for the pop-up, I would have stuck with the free 5GB space.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It is wrong to pay $1 per month to get rid of a stupid pop-up ad.

The pop-up bothered me so much, I paid the money anyway. If it wasn’t for the pop-up, I would have stuck with the free 5GB space.
OneDrive bugs me purchasing 1TB plan despite me having 30GB free space on OneDrive. Dropbox keeps promoting their higher tier storage above 2GB from time to time. MEGA has “Go Premium” ads at the web version of MEGA drive as well. So I don’t see why Apple doing this is wrong or abnormal here. Plus, everyone knows nowadays 5GB online storage like this is just abysmal, therefore either they ignore it entirely or they buy $1\mo 50GB tier and move on. That’s how it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.