I'd be happy with a 4S, and worried if there is a 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryuok, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ryuok macrumors regular

If Tim Cook throws in some large LCD screens and a redesigned case and call it iPhone 5, I'd be very worried about the direction Apple is taking. Apple, please do not lower yourself to Samsung level!

Apple, use the same IP4 chassis and up the spec and call it a day. I'd be very happy! Let's wait until the good stuffs like LTE and NFC mature next year before coming up with that kick-ass new phone. Instead, focus on the great things about iOS5, and let the innovation of user input and cloud computing lead the iPhone, not the bigger screen.

2. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Agreed, hoping for iPhone 5 to have same design as the 4 :D

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's not up to Tim Cook. At all. :p

Personally I love my iPhone 4; my life is on it. It's what I'm used to and I wouldn't trade it for anything (except a better iPhone. :D) I sell dozens upon dozens of Galaxy SIIs, Atrixes, and Optimus 3Ds every week and I wouldn't choose any of them over my iPhone.

Wouldn't mind having a slightly larger screen though. :p

4. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

Did I forget to mention that a bigger screen (of the same resolution as it has to be) is cheaper to make. Why would you want a cheaper screen on your "new" iPhone?

5. rusty2192, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011

rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

A slightly larger screen would be fine with me. I do NOT want the current generation of large screen androids.

6. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

How would an iPhone 5 lower Apple to Samsung level? That makes absolutely no sense.

No, Apple's iPhone 4 is a completely flawed phone, it's the first thing Apple would work on. The iPhone 4 is not an innovative design. iOS 5, iCloud etc. they were a given.

You're talking like Gruber here. :rolleyes:

7. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

You're kidding me right? What would be the point of waiting 16 months to update a product if it was going to be basically the same one as before? Apple isn't "losing" themselves by increasing the screen size, they are offering their customers what they want. And if you haven't noticed, increasing the screen size to 4" is the always the winner in polls about what is the most important upgrade in the iPhone 5.

8. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sounds like someone on 2 year contract with an iP4 and desperately hoping something better doesn't come out that makes his fragile, shattering glass museum piece phone look dated.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

You think Apple's direction for this year was determined in the last few months?

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

IMO half of the lastest HTC, Moto and Samsung phones are amazing pieces of hardware. Imagine if you can just flash iOS firmware on it.

11. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

I dont really understand why a bigger screen would make the phone better. Besides, what would happen to the retina display resolutions if the screen got bigger?

Would the app devs need to support old iPhone 3G-3GS and iPod touch 1-3rd generation resolution PLUS iPad 1 and 2 resolutions PLUS iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th gen resolutions PLUS its own iPhone 5 resolution? Or would it simply scale and not look as crisp as it does now? What about that extra screen space? Would app devs need to again create special iPhone 5 only apps?

I dont know much about all this. All i know is that there's nothing wrong with the current screen size. It works fine. :confused:

12. KentuckyHouse, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011

KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

THIS. If Apple announces a redesigned iPhone 5 on Tuesday, get ready for the "wahhhh...I can't upgrade" butt hurt iPhone 4 owners. There will be TONS of them around here.

So glad I held on to my 3GS. :D

13. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Releasing just an iPhone 4S might've been appropriate 6 months after the 4's release, not 16.

14. trssho macrumors 6502

So I can see it easier. I think 280ppi is plenty good for a 4" screen. No update to the form factor is just silly after 16 months. Have had my iP4 since launch, and while it's nice, there is room for improvement.

15. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

Instead of arguing against my points, you attempt to make my post invalid by portraying me as some sort of sour grape, and more ridiculously as if by saying there is no iPhone 5 I'd make Apple to change their mind.

16. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the middle of my contract too, not eligible until something like next March or April for a subsidized upgrade. Unless ATT moves up eligibility like they have done before with a new iPhone coming out.

My main issue with the 4 is the home button not working like it used to. Hardware? Or potential software issue like I've seen suggestions.

Otherwise, my 4 is holding up better than my 3G, which had cracks. Instead, the case seems to be what has absorbed them, rather than my naked 3G.

I'm hoping to wait until the "6" comes out, with LTE. By then, maybe LTE will be available where I live.

17. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Your points were crap. Let's break them down:

How is adding a bigger screen taking Apple down to Samsung's level? Most smartphones are pushing forward to bigger screens -- HTC phones now feature larger screns than the iPhone's 3.5", as do Droids. Are you suggesting that keeping up with competitors is "lowering" them to their level? What about with the Assistant features regarding text and voice -- Android does those. Is adding them lowering Apple to Android's level?

TRANSLATION: I will be eligible for an upgrade in Summer of 2012, and I would like those features on my phone when I buy.

18. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

iPad has a much larger screen, so that must be really innovative! If Apple wanted to make a 4inch screen, they'd made it for the iPhone 4 instead of trying to figure out how to pack those pixels so densely into a smaller screen. Which one is more difficult to make, a 3.5inch screen with 960x640 resolution or a 4.3inch screen with 960x640 resolution? You tell me.

19. Karr271 macrumors regular

i don't think the iPhone 5 was planned in the month since Cook took over as CEO. Jobs himself most likely had something to do with the designing, which is mostly done by Jon Ive.

And Apple isn't necessarily going to the samsung level as if you look at the prototype made my the guy from aluminum and glass, it's only like 1.5mm wider than an iPhone 4 which isn't a drastic change. Lets face it, 3.5 inch screen is pretty small. you said "let the innovation of user input" being that the iPhone is a touch screen device, the screen is the main source of user input.

20. applefan289 macrumors 68000

This is a different mindset than most people here, but I happen to somewhat agree with it.

But honestly, even if it does have a 4" screen, it will be Apple-style, not Samsung style.

21. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

guaranteed the final iPhone 5 design was set LONG before tim cook took over, and even so he is not the creative guy. He is a great businessman and his job as CEO will consist of running the business side of things. If he wanted to exercise executive power over product design Im sure he could, but I doubt he will (certainly not to the extent Jobs did).

Also, don't forget that jobs is still very much in charge, but most of the major decisions are off his shoulders. When it comes to product designs though, I'd be willing to bet he still weighs in on things, and people listen

22. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

Jesus, when I mentioned Tim Cook, I meant Apple. It's like when you say White House, you mean the United States Government not that particular building structure.

23. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I want the same design just for the sheer pandemonium that will unleash here.

Sobbing and complaining the fans will go to the shop and buy the iPhone 4S.

24. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I think you're hiding your head in the sand by saying phones like SGS 2 is poor quality or unattractive. I personally find it incredibly nice looking from hardware standpoint. It's the Android platform that puts me off. I would be trilled if the two companies can cooperate with each other and let IOS run on the top range of handsets Samsung produces, but of course this is not going to happen. I personally will have exactly the opposite reaction to you if I see iPhone 5, and worry if all Apple has is just an iPhone 4S.

25. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

[​IMG]

iPhone 4? Completely flawed? Not innovative? So the best selling iPhone Apple has ever made is a bad product? So you're the only smart one who saw through Apple's plot of marketing a 'completely flawed' phone, and the 50 million people who bought one are all retards?

Even today the iPhone 4 is still the best looking phone around that's actually comfortable to hold. Its pixel density is still unmatched. Did I mention it's 18 months old?