Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the Mac becomes more popular, the arrival of A-List titles to the platform is beginning to become a more common occurrence. The latest top-shelf game to hit the Mac is Id Software's RAGE, which has gone live both on the Mac App Store [Direct Link] and on publisher Aspyr's GameAgent online store.

RAGE_SS2-500x281.jpg

The game takes place more than 100 years after the impact of an asteroid destroys most life on earth. The player awakens after being frozen in cryo-stasis without any memory of who he is or what he is supposed to do. The game plays out in a world similar to Mad Max and the like, with the player fighting enemies, making allies, and trying to find his place in an utterly wrecked planet.

Potential purchasers should note that the game is titled the "Campaign Edition" because it only includes the single player campaign, not the multiplayer components. Priced at $39.99, the well-reviewed post-apocalyptic shoot-em-up has some hefty system requirements, asking for at least OS X 10.7.2 and an Intel Core 2 Duo and a long list of graphics cards -- most significantly, however, integrated video chipsets are not supported.

RAGE_SS8-500x281.jpg

RAGE: Campaign Edition is $39.99 on the Mac App Store and weighs in at nearly 13GB. Purchasers are strongly encouraged to double check their system requirements before purchasing. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Id Software's RAGE Arrives on Mac App Store

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
They list the nVidia 330M? :confused:

My Mac mini has an nVidia 320M just like a lot of Macs from 2010.

Is that a typo on their website?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Am I the only one annoyed that they can't simply list the specs a simpler way, rather than making me look up what graphics are in my mac?

EDIT: I have a copy for the Xbox already, so I will pass unless the game gets much cheaper. (I did purchase Doom 3 for $10 on the Mac app store, even though I grew up with the original I did like the reboot.)

EDIT2: I will admit that I hadn't considered that there are multiple graphic cards for each model iMac. Maybe something as simple as not allowing an app to be purchased/redownloaded with an incompatible computer configuration would be a better solution. (I believe this is how downloading an app is allowed or not with the IOS App Store.) Some system to provide an override for those who want to take the risk anyway should be provided, of course.

While computer savvy people can simply look up their computer's configuration, a worthwhile goal would be to help those who are less tech savvy know when they buy an app it will work or not. (A prime example was the mac app store launch, when lots of people bought Angry Birds on systems that did not support the game.)

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Am I the only one annoyed that they can't simply list the specs a simpler way, rather than making me look up what graphics are in my mac?

I think its pretty straight forward:

In order to run the game with satisfactory performance, your Mac must meet
these minimum system requirements: 2.4 GHz CPU Speed | 4 GB RAM | 25 GB
free disk space | (ATI): Radeon HD 3870; (NVidia): GeForce 8800 | 256 MB VRam

Supported Video cards:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800, 9600, GT 120, 330M
ATI Radeon HD 2600, HD 3870, HD 4670, HD 4850, HD 5670, HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5870, HD 6750M, HD 6630M, HD 6970M
Intel HD Graphics 3000

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Article says no integrated graphics, but then supported video clearly shows the integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000. :confused:

Wouldn't want to play with that, but specs show it IS supported.

Last edited:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
13 GB?? :eek: That's a long download.

The PC version was bigger, that was the longest Steam download I ever had. But either way it's a fun game, maybe they'll add multiplayer options later on however. I purchased this for Windows during the Steam sale and play it on my iMac via Bootcamp. But of course more mainstream games in the Mac AppStore is always a good thing. :D

Yeah I wouldn't want to play Rage on anything less then a decent dedicate graphics card. I'd be surprised if you could get more than 15-20 FPS on the Intel HD 3000 with this game. But of course I haven't tested it :p

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Multi player?

So essentially, they're saying Mac users got short-changed, once again, by only releasing this "campaign edition" that lacks multi-player capabilities, vs. the full-blown one for Windows machines?

I agree it beats having nothing, but that's pretty lame.... It's really only the multi-player features that keep me interested in most 1st. person shooter titles. Without the "human factor" of playing against real, live opponents -- I just get bored pretty quickly. Playing against the computer means you're just memorizing patterns to use which defeat whatever pre-programmed AI is in the game for given scenes. You basically work your way through it, brute-force, with your only real reward being the ability to see what's in the next scene. I got over all of that about 20 years ago with video games. Now, I either want a REALLY good, in-depth world and story-line so it's more like reading a good book when I'm playing, or I want the game to be more of a mechanism allowing a competition between 2 or more other PEOPLE.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Article says no integrated graphics, but then supported video clearly shows the integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000.

i have a mbp with the 3000hd and may try the game and report back... still thinking though.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
No multiplayer? Ouch, i might have gotten it if they had included online multiplayer :/

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
How else should they list hardware requirements? Going by their official model identifies like iMac10,1 and iMac11,3 is even less helpful and doesn't necessarily indicate GPU requirements since there can be GPU options within models.

Yeah I wouldn't want to play Rage on anything less then a decent dedicate graphics card. I'd be surprised if you could get more than 15-20 FPS on the Intel HD 3000 with this game. But of course I haven't tested it :p
I thought the controversial feature of RAGE was that they lock the frame-rate at 60fps and dynamically scale the visual quality to maintain frame rate. So with a low-end GPU, in theory you won't get bad performance, only bad visuals.

So essentially, they're saying Mac users got short-changed, once again, by only releasing this "campaign edition" that lacks multi-player capabilities, vs. the full-blown one for Windows machines?

I agree it beats having nothing, but that's pretty lame.... It's really only the multi-player features that keep me interested in most 1st. person shooter titles. Without the "human factor" of playing against real, live opponents -- I just get bored pretty quickly. Playing against the computer means you're just memorizing patterns to use which defeat whatever pre-programmed AI is in the game for given scenes. You basically work your way through it, brute-force, with your only real reward being the ability to see what's in the next scene. I got over all of that about 20 years ago with video games. Now, I either want a REALLY good, in-depth world and story-line so it's more like reading a good book when I'm playing, or I want the game to be more of a mechanism allowing a competition between 2 or more other PEOPLE.
I believe RAGE doesn't have a multiplayer first person shooter experience on any platform. The multiplayer is a racing game. There is some co-op though.

In terms of being short-changed, at least the Mac version includes pre-order content and DLC that would otherwise be charged extra on PC. I'm not saying that makes up for multiplayer, but at least they tried to include something extra. Lack of multiplayer seems to be licensing problems between Aspyr, id, and Valve in regards to Steamworks and SteamPlay.

In any case, this appears to be the first major game to use the new OpenGL 3.2 support in Lion so there's something noteworthy in that.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this:

RAGE is ONLY available for MAC through the MAC APP STORE

I was just looking around for the Mac version the other day because I noticed the PC price on the game had dropped to $30 at Best Buy and $20 at Game Stop and was shocked to discover that RAGE had never actually been released for the Mac despite Carmack's promise when he first revealed it at WWDC.

Edit: Oh, sorry, it's also on Game Agent... seriously? Who the heck even buys stuff from Game Agent? Steam is where you buy games, the Mac App Store is where you buy Mac Apps, and Game Agent was just some failed implementation of the Steam model that predates Steam. It's like what MySpace is to FaceBook.

2X Edit: Just checked, RAGE is $30 on Steam for PC. So I'll be waiting for them to knock it off and actually give Mac users price parity.

3X Edit: Sent Aspyr a piece of my mind. Kind of curious to see how/if they'll respond.

Last edited:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Awesome to see RAGE on Mac.. But doubt my Intel HD 3000 will be able to handle it..

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
Why the lack of multiplayer? Is there a technical or legal hurdle that prevents this? I think it's not justifiable to sell at a typical new release retail price unless it has all the same features as the PC version.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The PC version is still having issues with the issues they tried to patch after the initial release cluster they had.. I'll wait for this one, still waiting on them to fix the PC version.. :mad:

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Supported Video cards:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800, 9600, GT 120, 330M
ATI Radeon HD 2600, HD 3870, HD 4670, HD 4850, HD 5670, HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5870, HD 6750M, HD 6630M, HD 6970M
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Radeon HD 4870 seems to be missing from that list. That's what I have in my mac pro. Surely this is supported, given the other cards listed? Perhaps just a mistaken omission?

Scott

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Confused

So let me get this straight: for satisfactory performance, you need a Radeon HD 3870, yet the ATI Radeon HD 2600 is still supported?

So basically what they're saying is, if you have an ATI Radeon HD 2600, it will technically run because it's supported, but the game will be unsatisfactory?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.