Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColinZeal

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm kinda tired of fps games but this one had REALLY enjoyable battles! Totally loved that experience. Recommended.
Also, weird e-boner on that Loosah chick in the game... =)

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
More importantly, does the Mac version did rid of the annoying texture pop-up of the Windows version?

I've been playing this on my Mac Pro (5870 Gfx card) and it was poor compared to Skyrim, Dead Island etc.

I'm sure the Windows version has had 2 or 3 updates, also the AMD drivers updates, still plays really badly sometimes

AspyrRyan

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Austin, TX
Hey Ryan, can you confirm wether the Radeon HD 4870 (in Mac Pro's) will work?

I can't. Unless we have a card easily available for our technical support to check on issues, we don't put it on our supported list. I don't know of any specific reason why it wouldn't, but we can't make any guarantee that it does and tech support will not be able to help you with any problems with the card.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
why so slow?

I would buy it if it would be released 6 months ago.

Now? I do not feel like to spend another 31$ maybe when will be sale.

Jon the Heretic

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2003
meh

Big fan of ID and its games. And I have the right hardware.

But No--not buying this.

Campaign mode? Lame.

Lion only? Seriously, they can bite me. I'm not downgrading to Lion; first release I felt that way about and I am far from alone. Provide support for Snow Leopard and I will consider it, but not even for a second til they do.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
So essentially, they're saying Mac users got short-changed, once again, by only releasing this "campaign edition" that lacks multi-player capabilities, vs. the full-blown one for Windows machines?

Apple won't let you put Steam-integrated multiplayer games on the App store.

With Civ V, Aspyr tried to compensate by putting free DLC in the App store version that was paid through Steam. They also put out the full version on Steam.

With Rage.. they didn't put out a Steam version?

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Apple won't let you put Steam-integrated multiplayer games on the App store.
With Civ V, Aspyr tried to compensate by putting free DLC in the App store version that was paid through Steam. They also put out the full version on Steam. With Rage.. they didn't put out a Steam version?

Agreed... There are lots of games that come out, and I play them on Windows (running on my Mac) e.g. Rage, COD, Dirt 3 and "The arrow to the knee" one ;)
I've bought it, so I'd like to play it on OS X please... happens with a lot of games on Steam... guess Id are trying to get that last bit of cash in before collapse.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Agreed... There are lots of games that come out, and I play them on Windows (running on my Mac) e.g. Rage, COD, Dirt 3 and "The arrow to the knee" one ;)
I've bought it, so I'd like to play it on OS X please... happens with a lot of games on Steam... guess Id are trying to get that last bit of cash in before collapse.

It sounds more like there are too many people that won't wait for the Mac version of the game, and will suffer through going into bootcamp to play it. Then when the Mac version comes out, if it's available on Steam, all the early adopters automatically get a copy and Aspyr doesn't get a dime for their work.

I suspect this is what happened with Civ V - it was rather a test run for them, and the test didn't go well. Particularly since on the Mac release day I could (and did) buy a PC retail box for half the Mac price, type in the code in Steam, and download the Mac version.. good for me, not so much for Aspyr. I can't have been the only one.

The only way this gets fixed is if companies start treating Mac like an equal platform and go with simultaneously release.. split the box & digital revenues both by % played on each platform.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
This game rocks on PS3. I have no idea why people would want to play this game on a computer anymore. Doom, Quake, they were classics, but PC gaming doesn't make any sense to me anymore. Get a console and stop worrying about which video card you have. Perfect refresh rate all the time on a machine made almost 5 years ago...go figure.

rolfbert

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
EU
This game rocks on PS3. I have no idea why people would want to play this game on a computer anymore. Doom, Quake, they were classics, but PC gaming doesn't make any sense to me anymore. Get a console and stop worrying about which video card you have. Perfect refresh rate all the time on a machine made almost 5 years ago...go figure.

because no one in his right mind would play a shooter with a joypad

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Uh ...

My dual-core 2006 Mac Pro does.

If you want to use a Mac Pro for serious gaming (anything 3D basically ... not casual games like PopCap Software titles), you really need to invest in a gaming-quality video card for it. Even with the limited options for my old 2006 model, I can put an ATI Radeon 3870 in it. You have better options for a 2009 model!

I guess my 8-core 2.26 Mac Pro (2009) doesn't fill the bill. how ridiculous.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
The Xbox 360 controller should work without any 3rd party drivers installed.

Thanks! I'll be purchasing for two reasons: One, seen a demo and the good reviews - the game really interests me. Two, eager to support those who start to support the Mac with good gaming options.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm not buying it because they're charging a $10 (at least - I've seen it priced at $20 for PC in GameStop) premium over the Windows version.

Steam has the gall to charge US$90 for the Windows version over here (a boxed copy is half that!) so the Mac version is actually the best deal. Can anyone from, say, England give a price comparison from there?

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

agreed Mac games don't sell as many copy's. I wonder why lmafo

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
My dual-core 2006 Mac Pro does.

While I agree that I could be using a much better graphics card (intending on getting a 5770 or just a new MacPro when they are eventually released), I was talking about the 2.4GHz minimum CPU clock speed. Maybe I misread that...

EDIT: double checked and the GT 120 is supported, but CPU speed is listed for 2.4GHz minimum. Since my Nehalem machine has turbo boost, is the requirement counting boosted speeds or not? The requirement is still slightly unclear as it seems to be specifying Core2Duo. Not that any of this really matters since I'm running 10.6.8, I'm just curious whether or not it would make the cut.

Also kingtj: since when does 3 years count as 'old' for a Mac Pro? They've barely changed since 2009.

Last edited:

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield

39.99$ for single player only? That's a great idea! Why can they sell either single player or multiplayer parts of the game more often???

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
DID THEY GET RID OF THE :rolleyes: BUGS FOUND ON THE PC.

----------

Steam has the gall to charge US$90 for the Windows version over here (a boxed copy is half that!) so the Mac version is actually the best deal. Can anyone from, say, England give a price comparison from there?

90$ When where.

I bought mine for 40 and that was when it came out. Ok game way to many bugs, I figure those problems are now fixed for the mac version. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.