If 13"'is updated but keeps C2D...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Jan 29, 2011.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

If the 13" is updated, but keeps Core 2 Duo as it's CPU, what numbers do you think we'll see? What comes next after 2.66 that meets the wattage and other limits of the 13"? Would a 2.8 work in there?

2. laser71 macrumors regular

They won't keep the C2D if it's updated. Too old, even for Apple

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

It's not too old for the MacBook Air. Even the crappy low-speed ones they put in 'em.

4. leetlamer macrumors member

5. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

If the 13" keeps the c2d I'll be uber pissed. I'm confident it'll get sandy bridge though.

6. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I could have my hands on a 13" MacBook Pro (my first ever Mac, long time PC user) next thursday - I really don't want to wait. :D

7. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I won't. I'll just get at 15" instead. With matte screen too, even.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'm confident the graphics on the next 13" MBP will not be slower than the graphics on the current one. And the integrated graphics on Sandy Bridge is a lot slower than the 320M on the MBP (the numbers that are floating around showing it close to the 320M are for the integrated graphics in the high end desktop chips that won't go into an MBP).

So do you think Apple will go with discrete graphics, which is more expensive, takes more power, takes more space (less space for battery) because some guys on MacRumors will be pissed off otherwise? C2D is plenty fast enough. Sandy Bridge integrated graphics isn't.

9. shoebobs macrumors regular

Then I'll look for a refurb or reseller selling the old model for cheap. If they keep the C2D and there's no other major design changes (i.e. increased screen res or removal of optical drive for more battery space), then there's no reason to get an "upgrade."

10. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Never said it would or it wouldn't. Not the point of this thread.

Maybe I should have said "for entertainment purposes only" (but doesn't pretty much 99% of MR meet that description?).

If it DID keep the C2D, what speed C2D(s) would they put in them?
    Humor me.

lol.

11. alexxk macrumors 6502

Then I will buy the 15 base model....

I'm thinking in byuing the 15 anyway, even though I love the 13...

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

They'll keep it the same but the MBP will have Mr. Jobs' signature on the lid with a smilie.

13. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I actually know jobs and cook personally. We have sleepovers and pillow fights all the time. So yes, they do care what this guy on macrumors thinks.

14. RKpro macrumors 6502

I don't even see a reason for the 13" to exist after the update. The 13" plastic macbook is there for fill the $999 price point. The 13" air is just as fast as the current 13" mbp, and better in almost every way. Why another 13" model that isn't as light and portable as the air, and isn't as powerful as a real Pro model?

15. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i'd lol!

16. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Because the 13" MBP is stronger than the Air, has longer battery life than the Air, and is upgradeable. Simultaneously, it's more portable than the 15".

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If 13 inch keep C2D, then I still wouldn't care because I will no longer buy 13 in ch MBP from this point on. 13 inch MBA is just as good as 13 in MBP in most cases. 15 inch MBP is a lot better choice in terms of performance.

18. vistadude macrumors 65816

Apple wants nVidia integrated graphics on it's 13 inch notebooks, for better battery life and reasonable graphics for non-gaming apps. nVidia did not pay for the license for newer chipsets beyond core 2 duo, so it could never produce a chipset for the core i series of processors with its own integrated graphics. nVidia could only add a discrete graphics chip on top of intel integrated graphics, which is what the larger macbook pro's have.

So the question is, is nVidia licensed to make integrated graphics for Sandy Bridge? Then only apple can make the 13 inch macbooks with good battery life and good performance. On the other hand, apple could use intel integrated graphics chipsets, but so far Intel hasn't made anything good that balances performance with battery life.

19. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

But don't you think that a MBP 13" will last longer than the Air? After all, the MBP can still get RAM and HDD/SSD upgraded after purchase (as opposed to the Air). Or is this something that doesn't matter to you?

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

This is one reason why I hope the ODD goes out of the MBP 13".

21. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

it'd be black and they'd call it the ultimate edition. wait.

22. hcho3, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

hcho3 macrumors 68030

I can't speak for everyone. I use my laptop for very little gaming and heavy duty work like typing and presentation. For me, as long as my computer is snappy then I am happy. I could care less about this Sandy Bridge and Core 2 DUO. Because Sandy Bridge doesn't have long to live as soon as IVY bridge comes end of this year. Tik tok tik tok. That's about 10 months left and MBPs are still not updated!

13 MBP is reaching it's limits at least for me. Obviously, there will be users who would want to upgrade HDD/SSD on their laptops, but you lose warranty. Because of this, I never ever mess up with apple or other companies laptop by upgrading the internals. I would gladly little more premium for it.

Another thing I don't like Sandy Bridge is the intel. Intel is stupid. They are not allowing Nvidia to develop chip for it. Instead, they are making their own.

It is so shame that people are only looking at one side of picture, but not looking at the other. Evil intel is not letting anyone else make chipset for Sandy Bridge, but themselves! Can intel make good graphic's card? No.

Open up your god damn eyes... people. CPU means nothing without good GPU. What are you planning on using computers for? Core 2 Duo is outdated? So what. Everything will get outdated so fast these days. I don't pay apple computers for performance in games. I buy them because they are well made and have excellent customer support. I can justify my purchase with those things alone. You think most of people would know immediately know what the heck is Core 2 DUO or sandy Bridge is? No.

I will gladly take Core 2 DUO with Nvidia chip instead of intel integrated graphic's card. Intel cannot make graphics card, period. They suck.

Sandy Bridge means nothing for me unless apple find a way to stick in ATI or Nvidia graphics card in with 13 MBP.

But, then again, I would not buy 13 MBP from now on. 13 MBA and 15 MBP all the wayYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

23. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I didn't know that changing the RAM or SSD/HDD on the MBP voids the warranty. My current MB even came with instructions from Apple about how to do it, and it said nothing about warranties.

However, I might have to choose between 13" MBA and 15" MBP at next upgrade anyway - unless the next 13" MBP comes with minimum i3 CPU, 1440x display and keeping all other specs equal to or better than the 2010 model. Most likely I will end up with a 15" MBP then, because I do want backlit keyboard when buying expensive computer from Apple. Besides, I intend to keep the computer for 3-5 years, so I shouldn't buy it with a 5 years old processor such as the C2D.

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Because some of us want more than 2 input ports (this in itself would have me easily buying the MBP over the MB), not the plastic body (This as well), the lighted keyboard (totally aesthetic), and the much nicer screen (I like the black border).

But we don't want to pay as much for an Air, don't want the smaller hard drive as the air, don't want the smaller memory (for just as much price), or even the not as good battery life, all for a more expensive price! The MBP is thin enough, it's not worth it to me to pay that much more to get that much less just to make it slightly thinner! Honestly, if size were *that* important to me I'd get the 11" air (but I still prefer the advantages the MBP has over the 11" air, more so since the 11" air is even that more inferior), which is why I still think the 13" air is going to do as well as its predecessor.

Honestly, I could see the argument the MB and MBP are too close, but I say they should get rid of the MB if they are going to get rid of one (or at least replace the MB with MBP and just call it the MB).

The Air is most definitely *not* an MBP replacement. The only argument I see for getting rid of either the MB or MBP is that they are both too similar to each other so Apple might converge the two products. They'd be really foolish to get rid of both the MB and MBP for the air as some one proposed in some different thread. The Air is really not the same product.

25. rjbruce macrumors regular

So back to the original post... If they were to stick to the C2D, I think it would have to be the same processor since C2D has reached it's end of life. Apple would have had to stockpile them. Maybe 2.66 would be the base since its likely the worst seller in the current line.

I think, if Apple uses an old chip it will be the last gen iX series.