If 9.7 pro and 12.9 pro are the same price...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by frankdogg, Apr 16, 2016.

1. frankdogg macrumors regular

frankdogg

If 9.7 pro and 12.9 pro are the same price, which one do you buy and why?

so here's my dilemma. I currently have the 9.7 pro 128gb lte version but have recently found the 12.9 128gb lte pro for the same price as my 9.7. I'm leaning toward the 12.9 but don't know if the 9.7 upgrades outweigh the 12.9 power and size

so if the price point is the same, which do you go for?

2. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Depends what you need. If you leave it at home and would enjoy the larger screen then do it.
    I couldn't travel with the 12.9" safely and since the 9.7" has a better screen and everything I want except 4GBs of RAM I'm going to stick with what I've got.

3. kim2272, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I would personally choose the bigger screen. I say this because I have more use for the larger screen. I take handwritten notes on the 12.9" screen and it is amazing. However, only you know which one will suit your exact needs. I must say, it can be a tough decision...

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The 12.9 inch iPad Pro is ideal for home use especially with the Smart Keyboard. Large and beautiful screen, great and comfortable full size keyboard.

5. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

What Commy1 said. Only you can decide what size will work best for you. Technically the 12.9 Pro would be a better value but if it is too cumbersome for you and that causes you to use it less or not in situations you normally would (traveling, etc) then that value is lost.

If you can get it at a place with a decent return policy it would be worth picking it up to try it out and see how it works for you. Personally I just got a 12.9 Pro 32GB for $574 ($25 less than 9.7 32GB) a few weeks ago and I am loving the larger screen. I do find it more cumbersome to lug around but the trade off is worth it to me.

6. SaddleSC macrumors member

I own both the 9.7 IPP and the 12.9 IPP. If I could only keep one of them, I would most likely keep the 12.9...the big screen is something that I really enjoy and since both iPads rarely leave the house, the slightly diminished portability is a trade off I am willing to make.

7. gobikerider macrumors 65816

gobikerider

I would go with the bigger one simply because split view apps have more room to breath. Treat it more as if it's a MacBook Air buy a little sleeve to slip it into when you travel or just slip it into a briefcase or laptop bag. Idk why people think you have to leave it at home. People go everywhere with 13inch MacBooks this is the same thing just a iPad. The bigger one would be easier to get work done in my opinion were as the 9.7 inch is pretty cramped in split view, it works but is not nearly as ideal as the 12.9 inch iPad Pro.

8. frankdogg thread starter macrumors regular

frankdogg

I understand the whole "only you can decide what works best for you". Just wanted to see what people would choose if prices were the same since the 12.9 is technically $200 more (msrp)

9. gobikerider macrumors 65816

gobikerider

Regardless of price difference or if they were the same I would prefer the larger display any day. The second I decide to upgrade I will go out and without hesitation purchase the 12.9 inch iPad Pro.

10. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

It's honestly a tough decision, both have their pros and cons.

My personal opinion is that I thought the ipad pro 12.9 looked huge when playing with it at bestbuy and Apple. Now that I own one, I can say yes it is huge. With that said, it is easily my favorite ipad I have owned, absolutely love it. Yes it is heavier, but its still about the same weight as the first ipad, that's a testament to Apple.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

if both same price then bigger..better value for money

12. Serban Suspended

I wonder how ipad air 2 and ipad pro 9.7" with 2 gb ram will work with ios11?
    Since the ipads are updated by the people 2-3 years

13. Tec972 macrumors member

It really depends on your usage... I was just in this boat and I opted for the 9.7, with money not being an issue in my decision. The large pad is beautiful but quite unwieldy. If I didn't carry it around much and was just planning on keeping it at home all the time I might have swayed to the larger screen because one of my favorite uses for my iPad is for my pictures. However, the fact that the 9.7 had some things the larger one didn't have appealed to me. Matching color space of my retina iMac, True tone was a feature I was looking forward to, and the upgraded cameras on this device played a large role in my decision along with portability concerns. (Really disgusted that Apple still puts 1.2 MP cameras in ANY DEVICE in this day and age.)

The larger one has some important things this one doesn't. Namely 2x the RAM, USB3.0 and screen size. How this newer iPad didn't get USB 3.0 I don't know...oh wait it's apple they like giving as little value as humanly possible in the hardware department. Maybe that will be a key feature in the 9.7 release next year.

14. Leo90, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

Leo90 macrumors 6502

Since an iPad is not enough for all my computing needs yet (which makes me keep my lovely 15 rMBP), I would still go for 9.7" model as it is far more portable and comfortable for reading with one hand. The 12.9 iPad Pro in my opinion can only be justified if you use it as your main machine. If one day I can do all the stuff I need on an iPad I will seriously think about selling my iPad and MacBook to get one big Pro.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I got the 12.9 iPad Pro back in November, before we knew that a 9.7 Pro would be released. But now that we have a 9.7 Pro, I still think that for me, the 12.9 is the better device. I've used 9.7 iPads since the original iPad, and while they were great for reading, for writing and editing documents, the screen space was too small to do it comfortably. I could work on the 9.7 in a pinch, but for regular work I kept returning to my desktop. But since I got the 12.9, I've found I can do all my work on it. AND it's still great for reading. Sure, it's a bit more awkward to handle than the 9.7, but not by much. And I found that the 12.9 fit perfectly in this bag I had, so I didn't have any trouble carting it around, either.

So for me, the 12.9 is worth it, even at $200 more than the 9.7. If they were the same price, I'd be ecstatic. :D

16. Serban, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2016

Serban Suspended

I think it has a charging time around 2hours vs 4 so they knew they will release a faster method for the bigger one.

17. Leo90 macrumors 6502

I ended up returning my 9.7 iPad Pro again. There was a really nice deal on eBay and I got a new iPad Pro 12.9 128GB/LTE for 670 pounds, cheaper than 9.7 retail price. That is it, this 12.9 will be my ultimate iPad for the next 4 years guaranteed. I will try to use it as my main machine during this week.

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I went from the iPad 4th generation 128 GB AT&T to the iPad Pro 12.9" 128 GB AT&T. My first thought was that it was too big but now I love it.
    The more that I use this thing the more I have discovered that I do not need my MacBook Pro. I often leave it behind now. Being able to split the screen is a huge plus for me. I don't know if you can do that on the 9.7" Pro.

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You can, but it feels cramped. I was using splitwindow in my Air 2. It was workable but not ideal. I was happy to have the capability than to not have it. But with the 12.9 Pro, split window really shines.

20. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I'm going through the same decision now. I have an iPad Air and it's time to upgrade. I have played with a 12.9 several times at the store and it is big, but I'm a big guy so the weight didn't bother me - but the display models didn't have a back cover and a keyboard attached, which will increase the weight. I am really leaning towards the 12.9 and perhaps a Kindle as reading in bed is the one thing the screen on the 12.9 looks too big to comfortably do.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I have had the Smart Keyboard from day one, and a very lightweight back cover which is just to protect from scratches. I love this thing. Now, I carry it under my arm, which is how I carried previous models but I can see how carrying it would be an issue for some.

22. urkel macrumors 68030

It's been interesting to follow the Pro12.9 listings in the last few weeks. This was a near-$1000 device that many people had for 3months but were willing to sell for 20-30% less. And in many cases, people were bundling the $179 Smart Keyboard as a free "bonus" item.

That isn't a slam to the Pro12.9. But it does indicate how the big Pro doesn't fit the workflow and expectations of a general audience. So it does seem that, if given the same price for different screen sizes, many people would take portability over size.

23. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

12.9" is unwieldy and simply loses the convenience of what the iPad is about

And it's impossible to use in portrait, which I use when reading and sitting half the time

24. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

It's already is the same price. Well, I've found 12.9" 128GB LTE for $859 while the 9.7" 128GB LTE still goes for $879 MSRP. Still getting the 9.7" as it suits my usage better. This is really mostly a matter of preference.

25. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Can't thumb type on the 12.9 in landscape. That's the entire reason I chose the 9.7. I could have gotten a 128gb LTE for a tough more than I paid for my 9.7, but the bigger screen just won't do it for me.