If an AT&T*full upgrade is not available

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eagleglen, Oct 2, 2011.

?

What will you do if you don't have a full AT&T upgrade?

  1. Wait until you ARE eligible for the new iPhone.

    46 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Pay the $250 extortion fee and gets the new iPhone when it launches

    24 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Buy an Verizon iPhone and then pay an early termination fee to AT&T.

    12 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Open a second AT&T line on my account and buy the new iPhone on it.

    7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Call AT&T and threaten to cancel my account and see if they alter my status.

    26 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Be happy with my iPhone 4 and wait until the iPhone 5s or 6 comes out.

    32 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

    eagleglen

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2009
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #1
    What are other people planning to do if you have AT&T but are not yet eligible for a full upgrade on the new iPhone? I got my iPhone 4 at launch last year, I pay $93/ mo (including tax and fees) for their lowest number of talk minutes (450 which I never use all of), unlimited text and unlimited data (grandfathered).

    When I text *639# I get a message that says I MAY be eligible 11/18/2011 unless I pay $250! My options seem to be

    1. Wait until 11/18/2011 for the new iPhone. It's only one month.

    2. Pay the $250 extortion fee and gets the new iPhone when it launches

    3. Buy an Verizon iPhone and then pay an early termination fee to AT&T.

    4. Open a second AT&T line on my account and buy the new iPhone on it.

    5. Call AT&T and threaten to cancel my account and see if they alter my status.

    6. Be happy with my iPhone 4 and wait until the iPhone 5s or 6 comes out.

    I gotta admit, I'm Jones-ing bad for the new phone. I've never considered switching to an Android phone because I felt I had to much invested in Apple media, particularly music, but I've started using Spotify's mobile app for my music fix. So having my iTunes music on my phone isn't necessary anymore. I also have an Apple iPad and laptop, so that compatibility is also something I'd like to maintain.

    Is there an option I haven't thought of? Is there anything else I should consider? If you're in the same boat as me, what are you planning to do?

    Has anyone tried calling AT&T to get the update changed? *What was the outcome?
     
  2. cward0715 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    #2
    Number 5 has worked for me in the past. Although I threatened to go to Verizon. They hated that. :D
     
  3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

    Rodimus Prime

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2006
    #3
    Chance are they will not upgrade you a month for the iPhone. It will be in way too short of supply. Heck you might not be able to get the phone for a month because of the short supply and insane demand.
     
  4. brodas macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    #4
    I haven't really thought about it actually makes sense from their part to stop early upgrades cause their not the only ones carrying the iPhone no more. I really really hope they let us upgrade or I might just go with sprint
     
  5. Pooshka macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    #5
    Could someone tell me more about #2. Never heard of this before. Ta.
     
  6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #6
    If it's a minor spec bump, I'll hold out for a redesign. (I'll likely do this even if they bump me up.) if we do get a redesign, then I'll swap eligibility with another line that's due Nov. 2.
     
  7. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    It's an early upgrade. Check the upgrade guide listed at the top of the forum.
     
  8. utl768 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #8
    check urs again

    mine was october 26th 2011 up until yesterday then today it was changed to now
     
  9. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 6502a

    eagleglen

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2009
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #9
    Yup, just did. Still the same. When did you get your iPhone 4 and about how much is your bill?

    I've been checking regularly hoping AT&T would move the upgrade date, but so far mine hasn't. It's got me worried.
     
  10. brodas, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

    brodas macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    #10
    Lucky mine still says 2/18/2012
     
  11. omar4578 macrumors regular

    omar4578

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Location:
    SoCal
    #11
    how do i check via text message?
     
  12. cward0715 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    #12
    dial *639#
     
  13. omar4578 macrumors regular

    omar4578

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Location:
    SoCal
    #13
    sweet, but it doesnt give me a date...all it says is

    "as a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

    also (not to hijack this thread) but, can i still keep my unlimited txt and internet as a grandfather service? or will i have to start over?
     
  14. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2011
    Location:
    Lexington, KY
    #14
    Question......could someone explain to me why a person signs a two year contract for a subsidized iPhone and then raises holy hell when the provider won't just cancel that contract? Are these the same people who want the bank to cancel part of their mortgage because the home is underwater?

    I know I sound like a smart ass, but I'm not. Why do these people think the world owes them something. The same people think they can skip the $250 early upgrade fee by going to a different carrier and paying the cancellation fee that starts at $375 and declines slowly, never getting below $250 before you are given upgrade options. What a world! You signed an obligation..live up to your responsibility and quit whining.
     
  15. omar4578 macrumors regular

    omar4578

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Location:
    SoCal
    #15
    they do it cause they CAN...AT&T realizes that they arent in control of the iphone anymore..if someone threatens to move to sprint, then att has a choice, either lose $250 bux and keep them on another 2 year leash worth $800 bux, or let them go and keep their $250 bux...

    if i were att id go with option 1, in the end they win! :rolleyes:
     
  16. iZeeshan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010
    #16
    Have people on AT&T been getting bumped up?

    How has it usually worked in the past? Do they bump people up right after the announcement or gradually put it in there?

    I'm just wondering because I want to be prepared and when I should pester AT&T to see if they'll bump me up because I'm on the primary line, have two iPhones, bought it right away, lost my current one, blah blah blah.

    For me, it's still at 2/11/12 so little more than 4 months.

    I know people said that last time when iPhone 4 came out, it was set at within six months. When will we find out out what their deal is this year? I just want to be ready to pre-order because I really need a new phone since I lost my iP4.
     
  17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #17
    Apple store still sells the iPhone at the early upgrade price for 399/499 instead of AT&T's 449/549!
     
  18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

    Stealthipad

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #18
    I think a lot of people will be disappointed as AT&T is not going to give up that much to get you into a new iPhone. Things are not like the used to be and things are way tighter when it comes to money now.

    Go ahead and call and threaten them. Do not be surprised if they tell you to move on!
     
  19. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    #19
    I'll just wait a month. As much as I like getting it on the first day, I like having an extra 250 in my pocket more.
     
  20. Pooshka macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    #20
    Wait, but something doesn't add up: 200 + 250 = 450. As far as I know, early upgrade pricing starts at 400, not 450.

    Plus, you can't just request an early upgrade, you have to be eligible for it as well, just like a full upgrade.
     
  21. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    #21
    I think they bumped it 50 for smartphones...
     
  22. rburly macrumors 6502a

    rburly

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2009
    Location:
    Florida
    #22
    Plus, you can see what/if problems people are having.

    If I had known last year of the dropped call problems I had, I'd have waited for sure and not stood in line until 11:00 pm at the Apple store.
     
  23. ristb macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2010
    #23
    My upgrade eligibility is nov. 25th, 2011. I called today and they said no to the early upgrade. =( Guess I'm going to wait till nov.
     
  24. djransom macrumors 68040

    djransom

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Chi-Town
    #24
    I will simply wait until 12/4 to upgrade if I'm unable to upgrade early. By that time I should be able to walk to in the Apple store and just purchase one with less hoopla. I really doubt that AT&T will move up eligibility dates on this release.
     
  25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #25
    You can almost easily sell your iPhone 4 for no less than $350 after launch. Use the $350 towards purchase of either a partial upgrade or full price.
     

Share This Page