If Apple fails to release a larger screened iPhone this year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Afbar1114, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Afbar1114, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014

Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

If apple fails to release a larger screened iPhone this year will it be hard for them to keep people? I am torn on wether or not I would leave for a larger phone. I like the whole apple ecosystem and I cloud but it's sometimes hard to see stuff on the phone. Does Apple need to release a larger phone this year to stay competitive? Or do the still have an advantage over the other guys?

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Apple will definitely release a larger iPhone.

3. Frizers macrumors regular

bloomin' hope you're right

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I think to stay competitive they will have to.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'd like a larger screen phone myself.

That said, every year the newest iPhone sells better than the last. This year was no exception. I don't see why people would all of the sudden decide to jump ship. Screens larger than the iPhone aren't a new thing at all.

6. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Im fine with a 4 inch phone. I only want it bigger if it fits in the same frame or smaller.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If Apple feels there is a strong enough market for a larger iPhone and can make decent profits on it, I'm sure they'll release one.

I just hope they decide to keep the current form factor for those who prefer it over a larger one. I'm open to the idea of a different sized screen, but if I don't like the larger one, I'd still want to get what I already have.

8. easy-peasy macrumors regular

Apple used a 3.5 inch screen for five generations (OG, 3G, 3Gs, 4, and 4s) before they made a change. Don't be so quick to assume they will increase the size again after just two (5 and 5s) just because you think the market craves it.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I agree with this completely. But I think a lot of people are ready for a larger iPhone screen and it's in apples best interest to release a phone with a Larger screen

10. Camoxide macrumors regular

If they keep the screen size the same and keep the 16GB model as the base model then i'm switching to Android.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I am in no need for a larger screen. If the screen gets larger but the phone size stays exactly the same, I will be content, but if the device gets larger I won't be entirely happy. I really do not see the need, its a phone.

(Yes I know its technically more than just a phone, but if you need something bigger, get an iPad mini.)

12. AFDoc macrumors 68030

defied logic is ALWAYS what I look for in a phone.

If they made the screen larger in the same footprint where would they put the mic, speaker for ear, home button?

Oh it's not just the market... It's the share holders that want it... we all know Apple never lets a dollar slip through their fingers.

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i highly doubt that they will not up the screen size. if they don't they better have some tricks up their sleeve.

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

They released a 4 to hang on to those customers a while longer. If they don't do a bigger size this next time, a lot of people are gonna dump the iPhone.

15. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I understand your screen size comment. What I dont understand is why you would jump ship just because the base model is 16gb? Why not just buy the next size up? Its likely that if they scrap the 16gb and offer 32gb+ only then the base price is likely to increase anyway.

16. Camoxide macrumors regular

Because 16GB non expandable storage in this day and age on a phone that costs as much as it does is ridiculous. I'm not jumping ship if they don't up just the storage. Only if they fail to upgrade the screen size and storage.

My Nokia N96 came with 16GB onboard storage and was expandable.
    That phone came out in 2008

I shouldn't have to pay extra for 32GB it should be standard by now like on the HTC One

17. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

they'll release a bigger screened iphone, I doubt they'll go beyond 4.3-4.5 inch though

18. cynics macrumors G3

If the Moto X can get a 4.7" screen in a phone slightly larger then an iPhone then surely Apple can get a smaller screen (4.3-4.5) in the same size footprint.

I was surprised the iPhone 5 was bigger then the 4S. That was when the Razr M was released with a 4.3" screen with a very similar size as the iPhone 5 (slightly bigger in some dimensions and smaller in others).

iPhones are starting to look archaic to me with so much bezel.

19. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I can live with this, anything bigger would be an abomination.

Phones need to compact and easily used with 1 hand, when I can no longer do the task with 1 hand i'll switch to an iPad or a Computer.

20. HobeSoundDarryl, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If they DON'T release a bigger screen, this crowd will mostly resume the bash of bigger screens as "stupid", "gargantuan", "can't use it with just one hand", "need special pants made with massive pockets" (in spite of reality), and on and on. In other words, right now we're in the window of accumulating rumors implying fairly strongly that Apple is going to roll out bigger screens. So "we" hedge our bets so we can either embrace the bigger screen when Apple endorses it OR resume the bashing against the other guy's bigger screens with 1000 variations of the usual rationale (logical & illogical).

If they DO release a bigger screen, this crowd will quickly proclaim it "best ever", "I'm already in line", "shut up and take my money", "how did we ever get by with those puny screens" and so on. Among other (il)logic, "we" will have to have one because the bigger screen will be the very tangible sign that "we" have the latest & greatest iPhone instead of the "long in tooth" iPhone 5s (even though the 5s will probably still be able to do everything the 6 can do as well or very close to it).

And if they DO, about 3 years from now, "we" will collectively remember that Apple invented the bigger-screen smart Phones, someone will point out that they were out for several years before Apple's version, "we" will attack them relentlessly and call them "trolls", etc and refute irrefutable evidence with every spin "we" can possibly make up... or just change the subject to try to make the irrefutable evidence go away.

Personally? I think they WILL roll out a bigger screen because just too many phones are being sold with bigger screens to ignore that segment of the market that wants one. iOS on a bigger screen sounds like a big WIN for Apple to me. And since Apple has already demonstrated a willingness to carry 2 lines of phones, it seems like they could butter their bread on both sides for those who swear by the current size as perfection (though I think many of those people probably swore by 3.5" as perfection too, right up until Apple endorsed the 4"). One line retains all of the "perfection" of the current iPhone screen size, the other line adopts the "stupidity" of the "gargantuan" and forces those adopters to buy special pants, deal with the misery of potentially having to involve the other hand for some things, and all that.:rolleyes:

21. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

My wife switched from a 4S to a GS3 and regrets it for the exact reason she switched. Loved the huge, gorgeous screen, but is really annoyed at needing two free hands to do anything on it. That's why i'm hoping that the 6 can find that sweet spot of being bigger than the 5S but still one-hand operational.

22. SMDBill macrumors 6502

I will be switching. Planning to upgrade in April and the 5S/5C don't do it for me in terms of screen size. I find myself, even in contacts, a bit frustrated with the 4S screen I use now. With the 5 series being longer but not wider, I'm not any less frustrated when reading web pages. I will be getting a 5" screen on my next phone, which will have to be Android powered since the 6 isn't due out for some time. I use my kids' larger Android phones occasionally and love the screen sizes in comparison to mine.

23. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

4 inches is large enough.

----------

Anything larger than that I might as well go back to my Samsung Galaxy Mega

24. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well that home button isn't going anywhere.

25. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Hmm the problem here is not that I have to use 2 hands, occasionally this wil happen anyway, especially when sitting or laying down.
    I just also want to be able to take the thing out of my pocket, quickly type in my passcode, answer to a text and lock and pock it again.
    You can't do this efficiently with a Note 3 or Galaxy S4/5, these phones break the fundamentals of what I think a smartphone should be.

I think it's a pitty that apple is now forced to cave to this mainstream sort of popularity, I am also not happy as a starting game developer, meaning i'll have more resolutions to work with. I like the 4 inches i'd be okay with 4.3 aswell but anything bigger is just not going to cut it for me.