If it doesn't happen??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peejack, Dec 31, 2007.

  1. peejack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    #1
    Ok, I know everyone is sick of these when is it coming out threads but I have a question.

    If on the 14th/15th of Jan the new mac pro isn't announced, what then?

    How does the mac pro stand? Will it still be a good investment? I mean if they don't announce it then, it could be anytime, maybe not even till q3/4 2008 and I just can't/won't keep waiting.

    I know there are lot of other people that have been holding out for macworld, just wondered on what you will do if nothing is announced? Will you continue to wait or just go for the mac pro as it is now?

    Cheers
     
  2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

    surflordca

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #2
    Well I guess that I will keep waiting as I am not going to spend that kind of money on OLD technology. :(
     
  3. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #3
    If it doesn't happen...

    I buy that day. I can not wait any longer.
     
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #4
    If the new Mac Pro isn't announced or released at MWSF, we're going to close the forums until everyone has consulted a counsellor or sucked their thumbs in the nearest room-corner with their favourite cuddly toy. Or both.

    If it doesn't happen, this is not going to be a good place to be.
     
  5. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #5
    Yea, I'm definitely gonna stay away from the forums if it's not announced at MacWorld for a good week or so. I think it will be updated. Apple can't just ignore this there. It's the only line that hasn't changed at all.
     
  6. mrbc19 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    #6
    I have a good solution, at least for myself.

    I will buy on the 15th no matter what. If the Mac Pro is not updated, and I have to buy the old version, then I will simply protect myself by never visiting macrumors, apple, or any apple related site again. That way I will never be able know when the new Mac Pro does come out, and will never feel buyers remorse - and will never throw myself out of a window when the Mac Pro is updated 2 weeks after I buy :D
     
  7. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #7
    See, I wish I could do that, but I always have to stay updated with what's new out. It's so hard not to go to Apples website everyday, or MacRumors for that matter.
     
  8. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    #8
    Well for the record I too will be extremely pissed if it isn't released then, but will probably buy a current mac pro, as im sick of waiting.
     
  9. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

    ErikAndre

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #9
    Yep, I'll be buying whatever Mac pro is on the Apple web site February 1st (that's when my budget will be ready for it). It would be a shame, but I can wait no longer either.
     
  10. mrbc19 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    #10
    Of course this is only a good solution in theory. In reality I will not be able to prevent myself from checking those sites - way too addicted at this point.
     
  11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

    surflordca

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #11
    If you have to stay updated why are you going to buy right away if it is not released :rolleyes:
     
  12. Graphis macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2007
    #12
    Yup, me too: if it isn't announced by the end of MW, I'm buying the current 8 core the day after. I can't wait any longer, I've already put off my buying due to the rumour it was going to updated in November, and I just don't have the time to go through all that again.
    I understand all the arguments saying 'don't buy yet', and I do agree, but at the same time my current machine (a G4) is on it's last legs and can't cope very well with the demands I'm now making on it. I need a MP NOW, and the current version is more than enough for my needs. I don't see any problem with buying a machine at the end of it's cycle; it happens all the time. The machine isn't going to last any less longer, its "life" begins the moment you start using it.
     
  13. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    #13
    Absolutely, and to surflordca, I thought the reason was obvious? People can't keep waiting, there has to be some point where you buy.
     
  14. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    Location:
    Warminster, PA
    #14
    I already bought a pair of 22" monitors on black friday..... No other Mac takes two external monitors so if i get an iMac to tide me over i'm screwing myself. I commute to Drexel and DON'T want to spend all my time in the labs with the old G5s, I just want my Mac Pro....

    Waiting to NAB isn't going to be fun, and at that point, nehalem is on the horizon so even more waiting. Not to mention that $3k is burning a hole in my pocket.

    I can't even IMAGINE what the forums are going to be like January 16th or so.
     
  15. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    #15
    Now there a thought :eek: lol

    Will be exciting on the day I will be eagerly watching and refresh with my popcorn and beer ;)
     
  16. hogmog macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Thames Valley, UK
    #16
    If nothing appears at MWSF then it will be bye bye Apple. I am willing to be corrected on this but I understood that in July the price of the Intel 3 GHz quad core processor dropped to around the price of the 3 GHz dual core - therefore why are we being charged, in the UK, nearly $1000 more for a processor which is essentially the same price. I don't mind paying a premium but I do object to being ripped off. HP and Dell now appear to be offering better value solutions and with XP / Vista not as bad as some would have you believe and Leopard not all it was cracked up to be (where is the fix for Office?) means that my move to an Apple desktop could be shelved and I just get a new Windows box. As the holiday has progressed have found more and more applications that no longer work with OS X since upgrading to Leopard so will be no skin off my nose buying the Windows version as it appears that I have to buy a new version of it anyway to work with Leopard.

    I have promised to be less miserable and grumpy in 2008!
     
  17. OllyW Moderator

    OllyW

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2005
    Location:
    The Black Country, England
    #17
    We've heard that one before :D:D:D

     
  18. GoKyu macrumors 65816

    GoKyu

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2007
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #18
    Same here, I'm buying whatever's available on the 15th (unless they announce the new Mac Pros will be available within the week.)

    I've technically been waiting for this since around July (but haven't had the full amount saved up until this month), so I'm not waiting any longer than MacWorld.

    -Bryan
     
  19. Graphis macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2007
    #19
    I have been a Mac user since the early 90's. I briefly had to use a Windows PC at work for a few months back then, but ever since it's been Macs at work and Macs at home. My wife has a Windows XP laptop, and I sometimes use it if we're away from home. I can honestly say that, yes Apple/Macs/OS X may not, or ever, be 100% perfect, but nothing, nothing, NOTHING would ever get me to buy a Windows PC, not the price, not the specs, not if it was made of pure gold. The OS is clunky, bolted together, and UGLY: a piss-poor pale imitation of Apple's OSX. There's just no comparison, and anyone who appreciates good design and user experience will surely agree.
    Apple are expensive, and they frustrate me sometimes, but the alternative is just too horrible to contemplate. "Value" is not about how much you paid for your computer, it's the whole lifetime experience of using it.
     
  20. McGilekhr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2007
    Location:
    Aurora, Colorado
    #20
    Purchase?

    I would probably wait for February 1st and then I would buy either an existing Mac Pro or some kind of upgraded iMac. However, I would be very disapointed in Apple:(:(
     
  21. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

    Eric Piercey

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2006
    Location:
    Perpetual Bondage
    #21
    I'll be dousing myself in gasoline and immolating myself in the street in front of Apple headquarters in protest. That'll show em!
     
  22. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #22
    hahaha, nice. I was able to bang out the project on the stupid G4. Computer is pretty much dead now. Need it, the 15th is my last hope.
     
  23. xgman macrumors 601

    xgman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    #23

    I think you are on to something here! :D
     
  24. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    #24
    lol imagine as soon as you have turned into a fireball SJ comes out with oh..."one more thing...." lmao:p
     
  25. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #25
    If they don't announce...

    and you really need a new machine, then buy a refurb and sit on it for year or two. By then, it will be a whole new ball game. If you just WANT a new machine but don't really need one... then I ask, why are you so impatient?
     

Share This Page