If Microsoft produced their own computers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Oct 22, 2009.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I look at it this way: Mac OS X runs so well because it works great with the hardware, which is made by the same company.

What if Microsoft produced their own brand of computers that worked especially well with Windows?

There's probably some obvious reason that I don't know of. But if there isn't, I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...Most Windows computers don't seem to suffer from drive problems? It wouldn't get over the major problems that are Windows.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree

and if apple opened up osx to the masses, it would NOT become unstable either lol

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple doesn't make the hardware. Companies in China make it, and they also make the hardware which Dell, HP and Lenovo use as well.

No, it already is unstable.

5. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Yes, but the argument isn't that the hardware itself is unstable, the argument is that Windows has to support a million different configurations, hence DLL hell and drivers out the wazoo. Apple on the other hand has a very tight grip on what exactly Mac OS X has to support, hence a neater, cleaner more stable product.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can't imagine Dell, HP, Acer, Levano, Sony or Toshiba being happy with that decision.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Stop with the poor responses.

If Microsoft built their own hardware (and only allowed Windows on it's hardware) it would run a lot better/faster/more stable than the current.
    Microsoft has to configure Windows to run on 1000s of configurations, so you can't optimize it for each system.

Apple even mentions on its site that one of the reasons OS X is stable and fast is hardware/software integration.

Of course, Windows still has several issues (how it handles fragmentation, DLL, becoming slower over time) but it will be the most efficient its ever been.

8. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I think their computers would be rather expensive.

...Seeing as Microsoft would want their users to get the best experience possible -- requiring high end components, like what are used in Macs. They'd probably try and lower the price because their price points would match Apple's. Competition is a good thing in that area, as that could get Apple to lower the cost of their machines, despite their obviously superior hardware.

9. No1451 macrumors 6502

If you believe that then you are seriously misinformed and have never actually worked at diagnosing a crash or even dealt with a PC. I suggest you do your research before making any more claims(theres a reason that the first 2 things most "I have a crash" threads bring out are 1) drivers and 2) Hardware).

10. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

No kernel panics once booted with hacked drivers. Even using some drivers that no Intel mac used ever.

11. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I'm not sure that your one computer not crashing is proof that widespread configurations in the windows world don't result in instability. Microcosm ≠ Macrocosm.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Why does everyone here go on and on about "high end components" inside Macs? You guys just seem to be oblivious to the fact that the internal components Apple uses are also used by loads of other computer manufacturers.

The only thing which is different in terms of hardware in an Apple computer is the case. That's it. Apple doesn't get a special processors from Intel, nor does it get a special hard drives from WD. They're the same ones as you'll find in an Inspiron or Thinkpad, and many of the components will only be there because they were the cheapest available at the time.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have to agree that macs don't really sport high end components, apple knows what will be inside the machines though so it makes for a lot less work.

Apple's components are usually behind in the race as far as superiority/quality go, but they are always ahead in style/innovation.

I deal with computers every day, the last time I had a real driver issue was back on windows ME troubleshooting for SBC Internet. Stop using **** hardware and your problems will magically go away.

14. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Before the Intel switch Apple used hardware built by IBM, Motorola, and many other manufacturers in fact PowerPC is a trademark of IBM loaned to apple and these companies also make hardware for non Apples as well.

neiltc13 is correct about this.

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

You're all missing one thing: If Microsoft made the hardware itself, it would still be pushed to market without working out glitches. Then they'd throw more money at it to sell it in sufficient numbers to turn a profit.

Small Print: (read in a really, really fast voice)
    ...and using high-end hardware doesn't make on iota of difference. I've used Windows-based machines of all price ranges and it hasn't made a lick of difference in the severity of or the number of problems I've experience. High-end hardware doesn't mean problems "magically go away" (I love that naive phrasing). The problem isn't with the hardware - it's the software that runs it. And even if you could argue it was the hardware, then there again: premium PC laptops are more expensive than comparable Macintosh hardware; And in the end, when you buy from Apple you get superior customer support which is needed less often.

16. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

They would fail too. Look at the Zune, still a device that does not match up to the competition. Let's see if we can name any Microsoft-made device that is successful. :rolleyes:

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If MS produced its own computer and didn't have to worry about other makers, yes. It would work as integrated and well as OSX.

Part of the problems with windows is that MS has to develop the OS for such a wide and varied hardware platform. Apple only has one, Apple.

There still the issues of M$ writing bloated buggy code but in general it would be a more tightly integrated product if MS didn't have to worry about other hardware vendors.

On a side note (with the exception of its mice) MS has a abhorrant track record when it comes to producing hardware. They're a software company. Apple is a hardware company that writes software to sell the hardware.

18. No1451 macrumors 6502

I disagree entirely, the issue here is that companies will push software/drivers out the door that may not be entirely stable and it goes right to users who just aren't savvy enough to know what to do about it. And FYI, my hardware is all enthusiast stuff and the last BSOD I had was 4 months ago and caused by faulty ram. The latest Catalyst was also giving me some issues but I rolled back and all is fine.

Things like that and legacy support(which I think Windows should throw away entirely) are the biggest issues holding them back.

19. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

:D

Funny stuff so early in morning!

As you know, Microsoft has always been a software company and their software, Windows, runs on most of the world's personal computers...Windows in fundamentally unchanged since its initial release, running atop the same software architecture as its initial release. I am unsure if Microsoft could develop its own computer; it being a collection of software geeks with no manufacturing expertise. Microsoft has relied upon others to manufacture platforms to run its software and have been happy to stay a primarily software developer. Microsoft's few attempts at manufacturing (Zune music device to compete with Apple's iPod) have been monumental failures. As mentioned, I doubt Microsoft could manufacture a computer, desktop or laptop, that would match up against a Dell or Toshiba or Sony, since it has no manufacturing base on which to tap... That said, Windows software is so buggy and unstable that perhaps Microsoft should be forced to build a platform to run it...

20. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

It was my understanding that Apple did make their hardware: NorthBridge or other specific chips internally and sent for assembly on the mobo with regards to the G4's in PowerMacs, G5's and now no longer in Intel based systems.

Eitherway, Windows laptops ... I don't think the present competition would like that much (hardware going along with the brand by the company that makes the software)?? Other than that, its the holes, poor coding and so many doors in Windows that make it vulnerable. There may be more to it that I'm unaware of but its just horrible for stability when running so many high end applications at once: MS Word, Excel (with multiple Add-Ins from apps also running), Bloomberg, Reuters Korba, etc etc. Maybe its not the registry but the cache that kills it.

21. No1451 macrumors 6502

If I'm not mistaken Apple gets their stuff produced by Foxconn, along with Dell, Sony and a number of others.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im starting to look down on my laptop now, foxconn is ****.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I hink the software will work as well as their XBox software has, but their hardware will work the same as the XBox; with a high 54% failure rate.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

And take them 4 years to fix...